Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sighting in an Open pistol

ace21

Hey guys,

I just finished building my Glock Race gun for major and

I need to sight it in. At what distance do you guys sight the gun in.

It is going to be used for USPSA competitions.

should I zero it in for 15, 25, 35, 50 yards???????

what do you guys do?

Thanks in advance

Every gun is a little different (scope height) and each load is different, but I've found that with my guns using a 17yd zero will put me less than an inch low on the really close stuff like 3yds, and it's good out to 50yds. If you club has lots of really close stuff and nothing long, it might be worth it to use a shorter distance....say 10yds. I wouldn't use a 25yd zero because it's likely that you'll be way low up close. Watch Open shooters on stages with really close head shots with no-shoots below them and lots of white targets will get hit because of this! R,

G-Manbart: Are you using a C-More in the normal position? A friend also told me to go with the 17m zero. I am totally new with C-Mores, and was a little concerned on where to zero the gun at. I will try it and compare POI at different distances. Thanks!

You may want to use the search function, this has been asked many times. The answer is not set in stone. Personally I use a 10yard zero, but you'll find everything out to a 50 plus yards. I changed my zero after a couple of misses on close head shots. I use a conventionally mounted C-More.

G-Manbart: Are you using a C-More in the normal position? A friend also told me to go with the 17m zero. I am totally new with C-Mores, and was a little concerned on where to zero the gun at. I will try it and compare POI at different distances. Thanks!

I have one gun with a conventional mount and another with an angled mount that puts the dot lower. On the angled mount the dot is much closer to the bore and I think I used a 10yd zero...it was very close point of aim, point of impact from zero to 40yds when I checked it, but I haven't settled on anything. R,

I have a frame mounted C-more (approx 2-1/4" above the bore) and it is sighted in at 17 yards.

To get a "true" feel for where the bullet hits (yes, I know it can be calculated but I'm one of those guys that learn visually) I mark several horizontal lines on an IPSC target and label them for different yardage from 2 yards to 30 yards. I then shoot at each line from the appropriate distance to "really" see how high or low my bullet hits at the different distances.

Do this before a big match that has a bunch of upper A zone only targets at close range! :)

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I have sighted in at about 20m (approx 22y) and I found out that my hits are just in the Dot. Up until 50m (55y)

My dot is 6 MOA on both pistols my Open (9mmPara Major) and my Modified (.40 Major). I don`t have more trajectory than my dot is in size.

We have had targets at about 32m at the 2009 Med-Cup in France, my shots were exactly on the same position like my dot was.

So I am always fine with my zero. No thinking about it at all.

DVC Benjamin

P.S.: Sorry for the grammar..don`t think that was correct 100%.

With a 22 yd zero what is your hold over for 10 yards and closer?

I don`t. Shoot right there where I want to make some holes. Almost Alphas on that close targets so I think I am right.

Maybe I do subconsciously but I will check at the next training session.

DVC Benny

Check out some of the charts I made on page 3 of this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4236

They show how different trajectories, dot heights, and dot sizes overlap and let you pick a distance for zero that will best fit your needs. Each graph is for a specific bullet and dot height, but I made several of them for different people.

Check out some of the charts I made on page 3 of this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4236

They show how different trajectories, dot heights, and dot sizes overlap and let you pick a distance for zero that will best fit your needs. Each graph is for a specific bullet and dot height, but I made several of them for different people.

A question to make sure I'm reading your graph correctly:

With the provided criteria (load and dot height), a 20 yard zero and a 6 MOA dot, at 5 yards the bullet will strike low by approximately the perceived width of the dot and at 50 yards, the bullet will strike near the top of the red dot, correct?

A question to make sure I'm reading your graph correctly:

With the provided criteria (load and dot height), a 20 yard zero and a 6 MOA dot, at 5 yards the bullet will strike low by approximately the perceived width of the dot and at 50 yards, the bullet will strike near the top of the red dot, correct?

Sorry for the late reply.

yes you are reading the graph correctly.