Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mech Tech 9mm using 115 FMJ?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: Is anyone using 115 grain FMJ Montana Gold bullets with Tite Group in there Mech Tech with a Glock 17 lower? I am going to try 4.5 grains of Tite Group, 1.130 OAL and 115 grain bullet. Just wondering if this sounds like a good place to start. I have been shooting 125 grain FMJ and they shoot great. I just wanted something that gets out to 100 yards faster :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Hello: Is anyone using 115 grain FMJ Montana Gold bullets with Tite Group in there Mech Tech with a Glock 17 lower? I am going to try 4.5 grains of Tite Group, 1.130 OAL and 115 grain bullet. Just wondering if this sounds like a good place to start. I have been shooting 125 grain FMJ and they shoot great. I just wanted something that gets out to 100 yards faster :roflol: Thanks, Eric

IMHO...I would not use Tite Group for a Carbine!

Id use a slower burning rifle powder like Unique, start with 5.0 with the 1.130 OAL.

LP

unique a slow burning rifle powder???

:huh:

its only a little slower than Universal Clays, which isnt even a slow Pistol powder.

accurate arms number 7 is the stuff for 9mm carbine loads.

harmon

I've shot TG steel loads in a mech-tech. They gain some velocity, but as Larry says, a slower powder will probably do a lot better.

You guys just threw me a curve ball. I went and ordered a MechTech in 9mm specifically so that I could use the same ammo I was shooting in my Glock pistol. I'm using 124gr Berry's RN with 4.0gr TiteGroup powder with a 1.139 oal. I'm making a 135 PF (1089 fps). Will that function reliably in the MechTech? I really don't expect to shoot past 50 yards with mine, it's mostly for carbine steel shoots at 25 yards. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

-Cuz

Uh-oh, I just realized this might be a hi-jack, but it's pretty much on topic.

My 38 Super 'steel' loads @ 130 PF make Major or close to it out of a Mech-Tech.. they cycle it fine too. You don't really want to be puttting pistol Major loads in one.

Even at major velocities 9mm bullets start to drop like rocks past about 75-100 yards, so in close is where it's at for them.

I've shot TG steel loads in a mech-tech. They gain some velocity, but as Larry says, a slower powder will probably do a lot better.

You guys just threw me a curve ball. I went and ordered a MechTech in 9mm specifically so that I could use the same ammo I was shooting in my Glock pistol. I'm using 124gr Berry's RN with 4.0gr TiteGroup powder with a 1.139 oal. I'm making a 135 PF (1089 fps). Will that function reliably in the MechTech? I really don't expect to shoot past 50 yards with mine, it's mostly for carbine steel shoots at 25 yards. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

-Cuz

Uh-oh, I just realized this might be a hi-jack, but it's pretty much on topic.

I run my MechTech with 132 PF (115gr, 4.4 TG) used in my G34. This load runs 100% in my MechTech. Accuracy for me out to 30 yards is paster sized groups.

You should be fine with function, especially running a heavier bullet.

Hello: I use Tite Group for my 125grain load in the Mech Tech and it works fine. It is 131PF through my Glock 17. I was trying to see if anyone is using the Tite Group/115 JHP combo. We shoot a carbine match here and the flashers at 100 yards take a while to flash. It is bang, wait, wait, wait and then flash :roflol: I figured with the 115's it would be bang, wait, wait and flash. I would try my 147 grain load but the barrel needs to be throated a bit for the 1.140" OAL load. The goal is to have loads I can use for the Mech Tech and my pistols. That way I can have loads in 115,125 and 147. Thanks, Eric

I went and ordered a MechTech in 9mm specifically so that I could use the same ammo I was shooting in my Glock pistol.

I'm not an expert, and I don't play one on television, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I think the following is correct:

It's not so much a matter of working or not working, it's a matter of what works better.

Non-compensated pistols shoot best with heavier bullets and a faster powder that expends all of it's energy as soon as possible. If you use a slower powder, it may still be burning when the bullet exits the barrel and the power is wasted.

A compensated pistol works better with a lighter bullet and a slight slower powder that is still producing gas when the bullet passes through the compensator.

A rifle, is different. Since it has a longer barrel, you want a powder that will burn proportionately longer than a pistol powder and which accelerates the bullet out of the barrel. Also, you want a light aerodynamic bullet that you can get the most speed out of.

The Mech Tech is not a pistol and it's not a rifle, it's a hybrid carbine. A carbine is a lot like a long barreled pistol, often chambered for a pistol cartridge. I rather expect that at pistol distances, it's not going to matter what you use. But if you are shooting longer distances, you might find your shots dropping somewhat.

at 1000 fps average (meaning the bullet starts well above that-- play with a ballistics program and the BC of your bullet to be sure) , the bullet gets to 100 yards (300 feet) in 0.3 of a second

at 1500 fps average, the bullet will be there in 0.2 seconds.

It's unlikely you'll get a 115 safely out of a 9mm MechTech to average 1500 fps all the way downrange, but it might be possible.