Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Irons are cool

mscott

I haven't shot an iron sighted AR for a long time, but finally set one up after finding a good deal on sights. I got the YHM clamp on flip up for the front and mounted it next to the comp. The rear is a cheap DPMS copy that was pretty sloppy, but some epoxy turned it into a nice sturdy fixed rear. Man, is that ever fun. I only shot a couple groups after sighting it in, but whacked the crap out of some steel plates at 100 yards. Laying prone and using the mag as a monopod I can hold 2" groups at 100, which is better than I expected. I may just have to shoot Limited at the next match and see how easy it is NOT. It should be good entertainment if nothing else. I've got a .050 wide front sight post on the way, so we'll see what that does as well.

I haven't shot an iron sighted AR for a long time, but finally set one up after finding a good deal on sights. I got the YHM clamp on flip up for the front and mounted it next to the comp. The rear is a cheap DPMS copy that was pretty sloppy, but some epoxy turned it into a nice sturdy fixed rear. Man, is that ever fun. I only shot a couple groups after sighting it in, but whacked the crap out of some steel plates at 100 yards. Laying prone and using the mag as a monopod I can hold 2" groups at 100, which is better than I expected. I may just have to shoot Limited at the next match and see how easy it is NOT. It should be good entertainment if nothing else. I've got a .050 wide front sight post on the way, so we'll see what that does as well.

Welcome mister! The rewards of running irons well has a greater level of satisfaction.

I am sure you WILL find that out first hand.

Best to you.

Patrick

It really is not that hard to run Irons, if just takes practice and a good attitude. Decent vision is a must but who doesn't have corrected vision or good vision already??? To shoot this sport you need it no matter what division you shoot, Yeah its harder than picking up a scoped rifle and hitting targets at LR, but so what, Practice more. I practice alot with my Nordic 22 and Irons , and its cheaper.

trapr

Just got my rifle back from the smith this afternoon. Had him put on the front sight base ala Kurt and Bruce.

post-5289-1240278287_thumb.jpg

This group is with my questionable reloads and shooting skills, off the bipod at 39 yards, with the irons. It should be back on at 300 per my ballistics program. Since I was trying to aim at the right corner of the post-it, I may have to come over a couple clicks left.

post-5289-1240278262_thumb.jpg

:cheers:

John

For many years I shot an M-14 in Iron class just because of the sight radius. I quested after and extended sight radius AR. I must admit right now that Tom Freeman was the guy that "found" the first extended Iron setup. After I saw his set up I did it right. I had the second extended sight AR ever done for 3-gun. J.P. has treated me right in building the very first dedicated Iron sight rifle that J.P. ever offered! I love shooting Iron Sights and recently finished 6th overall in the TAC OPTIC division shooting my good old J.P. rifle at SMM3G, and the 2 stages that cost me the most points were NOT related to rifle shooting. I am afraid Iron sight shooting is the bastard stepchild of 3-gun...but man it is FUN beating all sorts of great scope shooters in their own division!!! Nothing beats Irons up close...and far away they aren't so bad either!!! KurtM

For many years I shot an M-14 in Iron class just because of the sight radius. I quested after and extended sight radius AR. I must admit right now that Tom Freeman was the guy that "found" the first extended Iron setup. After I saw his set up I did it right. I had the second extended sight AR ever done for 3-gun. J.P. has treated me right in building the very first dedicated Iron sight rifle that J.P. ever offered! I love shooting Iron Sights and recently finished 6th overall in the TAC OPTIC division shooting my good old J.P. rifle at SMM3G, and the 2 stages that cost me the most points were NOT related to rifle shooting. I am afraid Iron sight shooting is the bastard stepchild of 3-gun...but man it is FUN beating all sorts of great scope shooters in their own division!!! Nothing beats Irons up close...and far away they aren't so bad either!!! KurtM

Kurt, what is a good iron sight setup, "the best way to go", when putting irons on a flat-top? You and Kelly have this iron sight thing down pat, what constitutes good attachable iron sights?

And congratulations on your performance at the SMM3G.

Edited by Viggen

I just got my new .050 front sight post, so I'll have to try it out this week. I'm having fun with what I have right now, but if I were to put a new upper together just for iron sights, would a 24" barrel be a good idea? It seems like a good idea, but it's also getting to be a little longer for moving around walls and such. What length barrel do the top iron shooters use? I think there was a post with various competitor's equipment listed, but I can't find it.

I just got my new .050 front sight post, so I'll have to try it out this week. I'm having fun with what I have right now, but if I were to put a new upper together just for iron sights, would a 24" barrel be a good idea? It seems like a good idea, but it's also getting to be a little longer for moving around walls and such. What length barrel do the top iron shooters use? I think there was a post with various competitor's equipment listed, but I can't find it.

Here's the one I used as a reference:

Best Iron Sights

Kurt Miller and Bruce Piatt give a good description on what they are running.

Good luck!

John

Here are the exact sights I use, Rear is a DPMS FT-RS detachable rear sight. Front sight is a JPGS-2FS, it is found under gas systems in J.P.'s catalog. I did have to cut one more notch in the upper and modify the sight a little to get it all the way back.

I played with a 24" barrel unfortunately it didn't like 55 grain bullets so I sold it off. I am going to make another, but in 22'. I like the longer barrels and boy can you get things going down range fast!, but to answer the question almost all iron shooters are using a 20" barrel. KurtM