Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide brothers before Ion Bond.

Hello: Ok, they are not really brothers since one is a limited slide and the other is a single stack slide. They both are 40S&W though. They also have my arrow on them. I am sending them off to have them Ion Bonded in black. The lowers will be chromed. I just love 2 tone pistols. Enjoy the pics. Thanks, Eric

post-9254-1239850861_thumb.jpg

post-9254-1239850873_thumb.jpg

post-9254-1239850882_thumb.jpg

What sort of mills did you use for the arrows? Was a fly cutter one of them? Also, how are you jigging your slide up to get the mill to cut the lightening holes on an angle? Is there a way to measure the increased speed of a lightened slide and what advantages does that have over ay an unlightened one?

Hope that wasn't too many questions. We have a mill at our shop and a lathe. I have been more and more interested lately with all the downtime, to throw a slide under that thing and screw something up seriously! Wish I had a beater old pistol just to try things out.

Thanks, Jimmy.

BTW, very nice!

Hello: Jimmy, I do use a fly cutter for the arrows and also a regular 4 flute carbide end mill. You have to offset the head on your mill to get the cuts correct. Some gunsmiths don't like to change the angle on the head :roflol: You can practice on pieces of round stock. I used some aluminum tubing I had that was also the same radius as the slide. My next project is to do the arrow on a flat top slide. I appreciate the complements on the machine work. I should also tell you have been doing machining for 39 years. I started when I was only 6 on a lathe. I am actually a Tool and Die maker but work on cars for now. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

Very nice...I like your thought process.

I too like the chrome and Ion-Bond mix.

Scott Springer did that to 3 of mine so far. Scott loves to work on making things different, he also painted some color to my upper/slice just to set the black off...

I want to see these when they are done.

RLTW,

Scott