Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open or Double Tap Championship?

My plans for next year is to shoot one big match in USA. I have narrowed it down to either Florida Open(great match been there three times) or Double Tap Championship. From what I understand is DTC a great match, but so is Florida Open.

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Went to the 2008 Double Tap and loved it, except for the weather.

2008 Double Tap, didn't get to go, but read the stages were great, not good weather tho.

Haven't tried the Florida Open yet, but want to one day.

Can't go wrong with either one.

I was at both this year. Shot Thursday at each, and worked the rest of the match (Stage 3 at FL, Stage 8 at TX). Florida Open has more international shooters and mainly uses the "Classic" targets (stop signs). Double Tap has a prize table and mainly uses the "Metric" targets (silhouette with head). The quality of the shooters at each is excellent. Both are STI contingency matches. The weather is completely out of anyone's control, but Florida this year had cold mornings (one actually below freezing) and 70 degree afternoons, while Texas had wind every day, cold and rain on two of the four days, nice weather Thursday and Sunday afternoon. If you can only pick one of the two, I would suggest the Florida Open, since the weather will probably be a bit nicer, and there are other things to do in Orlando before or after the match. You could even take a shooting class with Frank Garcia, Manny Bragg, or Eric Graufel just before or after the Open, or hang out with the big rat with his own theme park.

I was at both this year. Shot Thursday at each, and worked the rest of the match (Stage 3 at FL, Stage 8 at TX). Florida Open has more international shooters and mainly uses the "Classic" targets (stop signs). Double Tap has a prize table and mainly uses the "Metric" targets (silhouette with head). The quality of the shooters at each is excellent. Both are STI contingency matches. The weather is completely out of anyone's control, but Florida this year had cold mornings (one actually below freezing) and 70 degree afternoons, while Texas had wind every day, cold and rain on two of the four days, nice weather Thursday and Sunday afternoon. If you can only pick one of the two, I would suggest the Florida Open, since the weather will probably be a bit nicer, and there are other things to do in Orlando before or after the match. You could even take a shooting class with Frank Garcia, Manny Bragg, or Eric Graufel just before or after the Open, or hang out with the big rat with his own theme park.

Stage three at this years Florida Open was a fun stage as was all the stages (almost). But my vote for the best stage of the match goes to stage 2 "Proceed with Caution".A stage where many shooters missed a taget or two(I know I did)- Whoever designed that stage must have had a field day, my hat goes off for that guy!

I lean more and more towards Florida Open. Back home is it snow on the ground in February sometimes a lot of that white stuff.It is much more fun shooting a match in the sun (although Saturday morning was a bit cold) than knee deep in snow.As for a prize table I dont care if there is one, I am there for the shooting and to have a good time.

Thanks for the info by the way!

Don't listen to Jay. He needs to change his tampon... :lol::roflol::cheers:

Seriously, both matches are good - and they are polar opposites of one another. The FL Open stresses the "D", the DTC stresses the "C". I've had cold weather at both matches ("Frostproof" is a taunt, not a promise!). I've had warmer weather at the DTC than at the FL Open.

One thing to keep in mind - the FL Open has not usually been a USPSA sanctioned match. As near as I can tell, the match adheres to USPSA rules pretty well - but if that's important to you, keep it in mind. That might change, too.

I shot the Fl. Open two years in a row a couple of years back & probably won't do it again. My opinion is there are just too many people at the match. Really. Our squad had 18, not a big deal as most had that many. After the first stage of the day, we were waiting on squads. Notice I said that plural-squadS. By our third stage, we were waiting on the next squad who were doing there walk through when we got there but by the afternoon, we would arrive at a stage & there would be a squad of @18 doing their walk through-maybe(once there were two full squads waiting with another squad shooting still when we got there), a squad of @18 waiting, & then us. Both years! That is too many people at a match or something. The first year I figured something had happened to slow things down but by the second year, I decided that was just the way it was. I don't mind a wait, it gives you plenty of time to see how others are shooting or whatever & I guess it even gives you time to go see other squads but that was just too much. It is absolutely exhausting to wait that much all day long. Now, I've heard other folks say it wasn't that way for them. Ok, I don't know why but that was the way it worked for us. Somebody somewhere was holding things up & with 350 people running around, that becomes a real problem.

There were other issues but I won't even go into them. I really don't go to a match to watch other people shoot. I go to shoot. When you watch at least 36 people shoot a stage before your squad even gets to start, it is a boring day.

The stages were good, though & the weather was nice except it got pretty hot by the afternoons.

We stayed for the "prize table" the second year. That was sort of a joke, if you ask me. Frank said "just get in line in the order you finished in". ????? hahaha. I don't know most of the folks so who am I getting behind? On top of that, you just walked up to the barn door & someone handed you a bag. I have no complaints about what they were giving out but you might as well have just handed those bags out at the start of the match instead of after spending two days waiting. Just my opinion.

If they ever get numbers down or manage it better somehow, I may go again since my brother lives close but until that happens, count me out.

MLM

I shot the Fl. Open two years in a row a couple of years back & probably won't do it again.

By our third stage, we were waiting on the next squad who were doing there walk through when we got there but by the afternoon, we would arrive at a stage & there would be a squad of @18 doing their walk through-maybe(once there were two full squads waiting with another squad shooting still when we got there), a squad of @18 waiting, & then us. Both years!

I'm guessing those two years weren't last year or this year? In years past, Frank used the old school Nationals "one on, one off" squadding schedule, which meant that you shot a stage, then waited an hour (while a squad on the opposite rotation shot), then shot again, then waited another hour... It would take all day to shoot 5 stages, because you're off half the time. Last year (and this year, I think?), Frank used a half day format (due to popular demand). Last year, I didn't see anyone waiting around for more than a couple shooters or so - certainly not two squads worth (though I obviously wasn't watching the whole range).

I like the half day format at the FL Open a lot better. If Frank goes back to the "one on, one off" format, I'll always do my best to shoot on Friday (shoot the whole match in one day).

Also, I believe Frank added a couple of stages, too, to help with the squad size issue, and keep the match flowing a little more...

You are right, it was 3-4 years ago. Well, I'm glad to hear some things have changed. That doesn't clear up the other issues that were more on a personal level but this is good news for the match. They were fun stages.

I might reconsider. Someday.

MLM

You are right, it was 3-4 years ago. Well, I'm glad to hear some things have changed. That doesn't clear up the other issues that were more on a personal level but this is good news for the match. They were fun stages.

I hear ya... ;) Yeah, 3-4 years ago, you just didn't understand the squad schedule... :lol: I didn't much like that, either, though, so we're on the same page, there... ;)

:cheers: I am glad to see that there are other matches that have back ups. The way opeople have been bad mouthing the DTRC it would seem we are the only one. As for other matches to attend go where you want to shoot, do not use others experiences to form an opinion. This is the first year we have had this problem and we did have 349 comp. this year. If it such a slow bad match its simple don't come back, please do not come back. Buy some cheese and take the wine elsewhere.

Prize table wise, the DTR had about 45,000 on the table that you got to pick from, including 5 STI slides. If there are ways to spped this up i will gladly take them (constructive ways), the other thing is put up or shut up, help out sometimes instead of just complaining. :ph34r: Dave still looking for that picture.

Off topic, but to manage 350 competitors it is no big deal at all. Our Nationals have about 300 competitors for 2 days and 20 stages. Look at IPSC World Shoot's where are 1000 competitors shooting each day 8 stages or IPSC CZ Extreme match with about 700 competitors shooting 10 stages each day. Those matches are half day format and starting and ending on shedule. Maybe something to look or ask from organizers from these matches, who I think will give you all information. People, try to share expierences...

I will say the DTC runs very well. The communication put out before hand that tells you all the details is a big help, also. This year with the weather, I am really very surprised the way it worked out. The waits weren't that big of a deal, at least not for me. Things happen & considering the wind & the stages, I really can't believe how well the stuff stayed together & continued to work. Of course that is a testament to all your help--ROs & stage builders & also to the main guys--Robert, Steve, & others, that it did work as well as it did. You guys can count me in next year, for sure. I will be back!

I'm glad the Fl Open runs like a clock now. That is good. Now, about the personal issues, I will just let them go. Things happen & past is past. There is no undoing them. They were fun stages & most of the r.o.s were great folks.

MLM

Seriously, both matches are good - and they are polar opposites of one another. The FL Open stresses the "D", the DTC stresses the "C". I've had cold weather at both matches ("Frostproof" is a taunt, not a promise!). I've had warmer weather at the DTC than at the FL Open.

This is the most accurate statement pertaining to the choice between the two matches. Fl Open is akin to a really agressive sectional/regional with challenging shots and options on top of options of how to engage a stage. DT is a run riot, hose-em as fast as you can, smile fest; a limited guns best friend. I would hazard to say that you will defiantely get your moneys worth from either of them. As a suggestion, flip a coin and do one this year and one the next.

This is the most accurate statement pertaining to the choice between the two matches. Fl Open is akin to a really agressive sectional/regional with challenging shots and options on top of options of how to engage a stage. DT is a run riot, hose-em as fast as you can, smile fest; a limited guns best friend. I would hazard to say that you will defiantely get your moneys worth from either of them. As a suggestion, flip a coin and do one this year and one the next.

:angry2: How about TEXAS OPEN this year Ken? Your not going to support ur friend w/ high rds.counts, plenty of movements and distances.Hahaha...

:cheers: IPSC matches and USPSA are apples and oranges. When you have over half your stages requiring less than ten rounds they are easy to score. The round countd are a bit different. 300+ rounds in 13 stages and 500 rounds in 36 stages are a little different. I am not down playing what you do by any means, it is just apples and oranges. :sight:

:cheers: IPSC matches and USPSA are apples and oranges. When you have over half your stages requiring less than ten rounds they are easy to score. The round countd are a bit different. 300+ rounds in 13 stages and 500 rounds in 36 stages are a little different. I am not down playing what you do by any means, it is just apples and oranges. :sight:

I agree,but not all apples and oranges are sweet though.Most of us like/prefer sweet to adore and appreciate,for me shooting high rds. stages are sweet.Less than ten rds. i considered sour.

Like was said It's the "Double Tap"!!! Home of the Highest Hits Factor Stages in the USA and we throw in some VERY creative Stuff to make it intresting IE: shoot in the Dark by Tiki Torch light, Shoot in the Dark by Black Light only, Tie you to a Pole and let you hose away. Have not been to the Florida Open Because i heard about the Wait times in the past. Seen the Videos and Frank looks to have Longer harder shots and we like em 15 yards and in with very little no shoots with some steel in each stage to make you look at the sights every once in a while :D March 26-27-28 2010 300+ rounds FLINTSTONES is the theme. going to have a Big Rack of ribs on the side of your window with your gun on them as a start on one stage. Big Rolling Rock Stage (Going to Start on this next month)

Edited by scorch

:angry2: How about TEXAS OPEN this year Ken? Your not going to support ur friend w/ high rds.counts, plenty of movements and distances.Hahaha...

Wasn't part of the question. I thought I was supporting it by RO-ing it... :rolleyes:

I would like to thank everyone for giving me so much info about these two great matches.I will have plenty to think about before I decide whitch match to shoot.

Once again: Thanks guys!