Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match vs. Limited

I've got a 40 Match, supersight version, with an IFiber front, and Henning grips. I've been shooting it above my C classification for my past few matches, and at least one match, coming within 5% of the top open shooter (he's an A class shooter) at the local club match. I've been seriously thinking about gettting a Limited, mostly for the magwell, big safety, and better barrel. Is the Limited THAT much better than my Match? I've never shot one before and am concerned about the extra weight.

I have only shot a match 40 once before in a practice session and it performed just as good as my limited. The owner did have a mag well on it though so the mag change felt the same as the limited. The only thing that I noticed that was different is that it sounded like it had some clanks and rattles when shooting. I don't know if this would be the barrel flopping around or not. But it didn't seem to affect the accuracy or shooting performance of the gun.

I say you stick with the match and spend your $$$ on other things that you can benifit more from. Buy more ammo and practice more or wrangle up a local hot shoe and pay for a shooting class. You would see more of a return on your investment with those things verses getting a Limited which isn't going to be "That Much" better than the Match, especially since you have your match tricked out pretty good. Most of the time getting better is all about honing the loose nut behind the wheel, not hopping up your equipment.

You could always send it to Canyon Creek and have the magwell and ambi safety added, even upgraded barrel. Not sure of the turn around time, but I was able to see first hand the work he does with an XD and it looks top notch.

My Match will head to him as soon as I get enough cash for the upgrades I want.

Matt

My Match is smooth and tightly built..cycles beautifully, no clanking there. I am loving the supersight + IFiber combo, I wish every gun I shoot had them.

Yep, that "loose nut" needs some work, but I'm making progress. I think I'll make B limited after the next classifier update. I do know a sponsored Production GM....I guess I should wave some cash at him for a lesson.

I have only shot a match 40 once before in a practice session and it performed just as good as my limited. The owner did have a mag well on it though so the mag change felt the same as the limited. The only thing that I noticed that was different is that it sounded like it had some clanks and rattles when shooting. I don't know if this would be the barrel flopping around or not. But it didn't seem to affect the accuracy or shooting performance of the gun.

I say you stick with the match and spend your $$$ on other things that you can benifit more from. Buy more ammo and practice more or wrangle up a local hot shoe and pay for a shooting class. You would see more of a return on your investment with those things verses getting a Limited which isn't going to be "That Much" better than the Match, especially since you have your match tricked out pretty good. Most of the time getting better is all about honing the loose nut behind the wheel, not hopping up your equipment.

I have the clunky match that Charlie was talking about, I also have a limited. My match has the ugly sight which I would say is its only downfall, it shoots great and cycles fast, add a magwell and all the henning parts you can and you should have a gun thats 99% of what a tricked out limited is.

It also seems there are alot of tanfo shooters that dont like the checkered front and back staps on the limited due to the larger grip, if you have medium to small hands then the match will proberably fit better. As for the bull barrel I would say its more accurate but wont make you a GM over night, it hasnt done much for me at least. Practice, practice, practice for me.

I've got a match with several Henning parts on it. It's got a Champion rear and a henning iFiber .095 front. I've also got a cut up magwell on it. It's not really made for it, but it works just fine. I did crosshatch the front and rear straps with a checkering file. I didn't like the vertical serrations. I also have cut down Henning aluminum grips with skateboard tape on them. I'm a C class shooter right now, and it's as much as I need. I may look at a Limited later, but for now, the Match plenty.

It shoots well, feeds just about anything and always goes bang, as long as I load the ammo right.

Sean

My Match has eaten everything it's been fed, even running factory 40 in 10mm mags, without a hitch..even with the Henning basebads and Grams guts...even remanufactured 40 Ultramax ammo...not the best stuff. I even ran 6 rounds of a fellow shooters 40 loaded out to 1.26 through it with no trouble...

I've got a match with several Henning parts on it. It's got a Champion rear and a henning iFiber .095 front. I've also got a cut up magwell on it. It's not really made for it, but it works just fine. I did crosshatch the front and rear straps with a checkering file. I didn't like the vertical serrations. I also have cut down Henning aluminum grips with skateboard tape on them. I'm a C class shooter right now, and it's as much as I need. I may look at a Limited later, but for now, the Match plenty.

It shoots well, feeds just about anything and always goes bang, as long as I load the ammo right.

Sean

But.. But... But... You cant shoot this game with a pistol that costs that little!! :goof:

The match will not hold most people back. I got the Limited because it is pretty and has tacti-cool scope mount holes in the frame. I figured if I shot bad, at least my stuff would look good.

In all serious, the match, with a new rear site and a magwell that is made for it is a fine choice, especially for the money..

And that is my $.03, oh yeah, that's three! :)

Edited by mike_pinto