Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second shot is often higher than first

lugnut

Guys- I've been shooting IDPA/USPSA for a while now. Recently I've noticed that once in a while, when I need two shots on each target, that my first shot is -0 or A but my second will often go higher. I don't double tap but I honestly can't tell for sure what is happening. Sometimes it's just a tad higher and sometimes it might be several inches. But it's not always happening. I try to call my shots but at full speed I'm not that good yet.

I suspect that after recoil my gun isn't settling in and it's "staying" a tad high. If I don't get the sight picture I want by adjusting, the front post must be sitting high in the notch- obviously right.

Now the thing is I have my gun set up so that it feeds just flawlessly with a 13lb recoil spring. G34 with 124gr bullets- will be switching to 147gr once I run out of the 124s.

Ideas? Should I try a 15lb recoil spring? Of course... you may just tell me to AIM. :unsure:

Edited by lugnut

It sounds to me like the sights haven't completely recovered from the recoil of the first shot when the second one goes off.

Check out some slow motion videos of a gun firing. This isn't really physically possible with the speed at which recoil actually happens.

Maybe try Burketts timing drills.

Those drills are good, but I'd make sure you are finding your target on each shot rather than finding the target once and shooting twice.

Sounds like you aren't driving the gun back to the previous sight picture after the first shot. Timing drills will help this skill. Work on driving that gun back to the center of the A zone. Remember to let the gun do most of the work, but you are the driver. ;)

Something I have noticed my self doing is focusing on the front sight, or dot, too much. What I mean to say is that when calling the shot, my vision stays with the sight instead of the place on the target I want to be hitting, leading to inconsistant shots. I'm seeing the sight, following it up on recoil, but firing when it is on brown, instead of directing it to where I want to place the shot.

It sounds to me like the sights haven't completely recovered from the recoil of the first shot when the second one goes off.

Frank

I was thinking this might have something to do with it. It's not like I'm waiting for the slide to come back, but maybe when it "comes back" it's coming in with the front sight a little high in the notch... but not too high for me to "notice" so I pull the trigger.

Just curious have you been switching between guns?

I get this problem going from and sti to a glock, just because the timing's a little off

Hmmm, I have been trying to stick with the G34 in IDPA/USPSA Production but do use my G35 in Limited Major.... maybe this is part of the "timing" issue.

Something I have noticed my self doing is focusing on the front sight, or dot, too much. What I mean to say is that when calling the shot, my vision stays with the sight instead of the place on the target I want to be hitting, leading to inconsistant shots. I'm seeing the sight, following it up on recoil, but firing when it is on brown, instead of directing it to where I want to place the shot.

Could be some of my problem because I know I'm seeing the front sight before breaking my 2nd shots. I'm just not getting it in the notch good enough I guess.. which is obvious.

Thanks for the posts/help guys.

Edited by lugnut

Try aiming into the target, closing your eyes, firing one round only, then open your eyes and see where your sights are.

I will certainly try this... great idea!! Thanks! Sometimes it's easy to overlook the simple ways to find out what's happening!

Try aiming into the target, closing your eyes, firing one round only, then open your eyes and see where your sights are.

I will certainly try this... great idea!! Thanks! Sometimes it's easy to overlook the simple ways to find out what's happening!

Well, had a few secs today to try it out. No surprise... when I looked at the gun after the shot fired, the muzzle was high with the 124gr loads (I still have a ton left too). With the 147gr loads... the muzzle finished just about where it started. I even tried a 15lb recoil spring with the 124gr loads- still ended up high.

Now of course... I shouldn't break a shot until I get a good sight picture... but where the gun ends up has got to be important! Damn.

Question:

I just started shooting competition and I am having trouble finding that just right position for my finger on the trigger. I shoot a Glock 17, and I consistently shoot in the 8 and 9 o'clock area about 1 to 2 inches off center. I had the sights checked to make sure they were zeroed, and they were, leaving me to conclude that it must be something with my trigger finger. Can you give me some suggestions as to where that perfect position on the pad of your trigger should be? Many thanks for all of your contributions to the shooting sports.

Rob's Answer:

I prefer to get the pad of my first joint on the face of the trigger, not just the tip of my finger. The heavier a trigger pull is, the further towards your first joint you want to contact the trigger. I try hard to pull the trigger straight back. This is difficult to do if I can barely reach the trigger. Some guns are not a good fit for some people and they must compromise where their finger hits the trigger. If this is the case, there's not much you can do about it, except concentrate on pulling the trigger straight back.

Sounds like you may have a little bit of a push going. This happens from firing the gun suddenly which can push the gun out of alignment as your finger slams the trigger into the frame. This is why you want to pull the trigger straight back. Also, ensure that there is no movement at the wrist while you are firing. Most people blame jerking the trigger for low left shots, when it generally has nothing to do with pulling the trigger. A common mistake is pushing the gun down at the wrist to control recoil while or before the gun goes off.

It's very difficult to analyze this without watching you. This is where a shooting course can be beneficial. Find the best shooter in your area and see if he'll help you out. Make sure this person understands what you're doing and doesn't do it himself, as this is a very common problem. Rob