Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Husqvarna lawn mower

I'm about to start cutting grass this summer and want to buy a new mower. The one I used last year is falling apart, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this mower.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...20070925x00002b

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for one they prefer. I want to limit the price to about $350. It will mainly be used for cutting empty lots and a few lawns.

Thanks in advance,

-Kevin

I really like my Toro Recycler.Its a self-propelled (Personal Pace rocks!) steel deck model that came with all the goodies to mulch,bag,or side discharge.I think I gave about $375 shipped for it from Speedwaysales.com.Its been a great mower for the money.I've pretty much fallen out of love with Sears Craftsmen stuff.It seems like they have some decent stuff as well as stuff thats real crap,and its hard to sort out the difference without parting with quite a bit of coin.-Mike

We bought Carol a Craftsman self-propelled mower in 2003 --- one tuneup later and she still hasn't killed it.....

She mows almost weekly during the season....

I would buy this mower. Actually I might buy that actual mower from Nik. Getting your wife to be the mowing person has waaaaaaaaaaay more value than the quality of the mower it's self!!!

:roflol::cheers::roflol:

We bought Carol a Craftsman self-propelled mower in 2003 --- one tuneup later and she still hasn't killed it.....

She mows almost weekly during the season....

I would buy this mower. Actually I might buy that actual mower from Nik. Getting your wife to be the mowing person has waaaaaaaaaaay more value than the quality of the mower it's self!!!

:roflol::cheers::roflol:

That actually goes back to a deal we made when we rented our first house --- a deal that was renegotiated for each house purchase: I wanted a townhouse for ease of outdoor maintenance, Carol wanted single family for privacy. I caved, on the condition that she was solely responsible for any work that needed to occur outside of the four walls of the house......

I've done a lot of outside work in the intervening years, but I've held the line at no yard work......

Husqvarna is Poulan - or Poulan is Husqvarna

However you want to look at it. Made on the same lines in the same plants.

Won't say there is no difference, but be advised they are the same company - similar parts similar line etc. etc.

Kind of like Infinity and Nissan

Jack

Honda will be my next purchase. My Snapper is a '92 model and still used weekly -- almost 52 weeks a year down here. I will agree the Toro Recycler with personal pace is great buy also.

Change oil as recommended, do not...do not overfill oil level/ Change the air filter every time you change oil, except for the first change. I purchase the filters by the case. Cheap costs compared to premature engine problems. Like the old Fram oil filter commercials said...pay me now or pay me later.

Won't say there is no difference, but be advised they are the same company - similar parts similar line etc. etc.

Jack

Husqvarna motorcycles are BMW.

I think.

FM

Jack

Husqvarna motorcycles are BMW.

I think.

FM

Sorry. Should have clarified. In mowers Poulan and Husqvarna are the same company. Pretty sure in chainsaws too. Don't know about other products.

Jack

Got a John Deere mower (ride on) after years of pushing around the mower and taking 4 hours to cut the grass.

Bad back led me to this decision.

Result is that the grass gets cut in at least 1/4-1/3 of the time it used to take and much less strain on the old back muscles.

"Nothing runs like a Deere."

JK

I bought that mower two seasons ago. It was a big improvement over my ten year old Craftsman. Two seasons later I'm not sure it is much better but it is definately faster than the old single speed mower was. I take about 50 minutes to mow my yard and at 43 yo it is good exercise and a riding mower takes more space. The extra power is minor over the old 6.5 HP mower but this depends on how thick you let your grass grow. Every five days is good in Eastern WA but I tend to let it go for 7 or 8.

Our old mower was a Troy-Bilt Pony from either Home Depot or Lowes. Four seasons on a half acre lot and the blade drive system was starting to give problems. Deck adjustment was not user friendly. There were other issues I wasn't happy with on the maintenance side. Since the wife unit does the mowing she wasn't happy with how it handled. Like Nik I swung a deal with the wife on yard work. It got totaled in hurricane Gustave.

Wife test drove some of the neighbors mowers and fell in love with a John Deere L105. Passed that info to the contents adjuster and found out something interesting.

The John Deere line at Lowes isn't made by John Deere. They are made by MTD. JD licenses the name to them. This was verified at the JD dealership when I picked up the mower.

MTD also manufactures mowers under the brand names Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-Man, and Bolens.

Edited by Hank Ellis

I have a Lawnboy with a Honda powerplant. Rear drive. The speed control is the best i've used. The handle pushes in. The further the handle is pushed in the faster it drives the wheels. All I have to do is walk. The faster I walk, the further the handle gets pushed in, the faster the mower drives.

When I stop, I'm no longer pushing on the handle, the mower stops.

I was sold when I saw their promo video on line. It's not as expensive as a Honda mower, but still has Honda power. 3 in one. I usually bag. Large bag that seperates easily.

And I'm partial to Kawasaki green.

Edited by want2race

before my current job i cut grass for 8 years. I had two lawnmowers throughout those 8 years. For the first two years I had a craftsman. the remaining 6 years I had an Ariens. It is made by Gravely. I bought it in 2002 and I still use it today for my own yard. I cut my grass for the first time this year two weeks ago and after it was sitting in my garage all winter without me winterizing it, i pushed the primer ball three times and it started on the first crank.

From personal experience I will always buy one of these mowers if this one ever craps out on me. I was cutting 37 yards a week and i did that many yards for about five years. So that goes to show you the amount of hours i have on this mower. Good luck