Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"[insert a gun make here] does not point right for me"

sslav

There have been lengthy discussions about "natural grip angle" and such for years. Basically, it has to do how easy it is for an inexperienced shooter to pick up a gun and "hit what they are pointing at." In WWII, the German Luger P-08 was often praised as the most natural shooting handgun made.

The Luger pistol was manufactured to exacting standards and has a long service life. William "Bill" Ruger praised the Luger's 55 degree grip angle and duplicated it in his .22 LR pistol. Wikipedia

Basically, the same grip angle is used by Glock, which many people find to work very well for them when they first start shooting.

But what works well for one never works well for all. For example, the sideways "Gansta" grip could be considered a very natural grip, but it's lousy for shooting.

Graham, that's a good point I never thought of before. I've heard the same gun writers praise the Luger and Ruger grip, and yet gripe about the Glock grip. If there was one mod I'd make on my G19, it would be to reduce the backstrap. But that's more because of hand size than POA.

I can shoot anything that I spend the time training on. (actual Training = putting in the time)

Sights and training time do not play into a gun that "points".

We aren't born pointing a gun. We "got used to" something.

Uncle Sam's airplanes sent me to many different places around the world. Something I noticed is that different environments/cultures had different "standard" ways of doing things.

Heck, it's very natural for me to drive on the wrong side of the road in England.

I'd almost be willing to bet anyone can, but why would you when there are so many choices?

Don't we eliminate quite a few choices by not being willing to adapt? And, doesn't that lack of willingness to explore "another way" keep one from new discoveries?

What's the point in choosing Gun A that does not naturally point for you when Gun B does?

Maybe one is just a better gun than the other, and the shooter would be missing out...going with a more troublesome, expensive, exotic (etc) gun.

Some guns really don't fit some shooters. But, what we usually see are shooters that are not willing to adapt (train) on a gun that has slightly different ergonomics.

If a gun truly doesn't fit the shooter, or if the shooter just isn't willing to put the training time in, then they would be better served with gourmet equipment that soothes their palate.

<my two cents>

Is it possible that a "good" grip [one that "points" well and that keeps pointing well through a string of fire] needs to be of such a size that when our hands are around it, the grip is fully surrounded by meat?

Without gaps between the hands, there is less opportunity for the gun to twist and start pointing poorly.

I occasionally read this type of a statement and it always confuses me. What do people mean when they say "(gun) does not point right for me"? I understand that grip angles and weight balance may differ. But isn't that just a question of getting used to it? I can go from a G-35 to a 1911 and back with a handful of indexes. And they both point just fine. Is it simply the fact that I am not that advanced of a shooter to where it would become a factor for me?

Not to be a broken record...but Glocks just don't fit my hand and thus aren't comfortable for me to shoot...and don't feel natural. Yes I've owned them.

I tried one again this week while investigating a new production blaster...and, for some reason my trigger finger also gets pinched under the trigger...I'm sure this is more my fault though.

Could I shoot with them - yes - is it natural - no. Have you ever handled a desert eagle? I could shoot one, but it isn't natural to my hand.

I go with feel - over what I'm supposed to like. It would have been a much cheaper solution if they did feel right to me.

I never got used to my glock, no.

ymmv

:cheers:

I pride myself on being able to shoot other people's guns better than they do. Doesn't matte the design. I think it has to do with the fact that USPSA Shooters are just better at the basics of shooting than non competition shooters.

Might also have to do with that fact that we have figured out that the grips don't really matter and the basics of sight alignment and trigger control are what matters.

Grip angles are secondary to personalize a firearm to the individual shooter.

I'd almost be willing to bet anyone can, but why would you when there are so many choices? What's the point in choosing Gun A that does not naturally point for you when Gun B does?

I cussed Glocks for years because the ergonomics suck...points too high. I went down the Glock road a couple of times and gave up in disgust. Then I had the opportunity to travel with friends to shoot GSSF matches and I also qualified for the "hero" program through Glock so I bought a G17 and put forth an honest effort to shoot the darn thing. I soon discovered a 1911 points too low.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

my brother was shooting with me last week and after about 100 rounds told me the gun didn't work for him. After changing his glock out with my single action sprinfield 45 it was like magic for him. He could not say whether it was the action or him. After switching out though he had no problems.

• 4 weeks later...
I suspect some people are just more finicky. I compete with my 1911 but carry a G30. I shoot both fairly well but its always an adjustment, and I definitely like shooting my 1911 better. Sight picture acquisition is always a bit slower those first few rounds going back to the glock. Don't pull the trigger until the front sight is where you want it and its not a problem. It's just something for people to gripe about as a difference between guns.

I'm sorry I just tuned into this thread, but if you like the 1911 better (I assume chambered in .45 acp) why carry the G30?