Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replace 38 super top end

timamal

I would like new top end for my 38 super My question is built a new one or but a used top end I lot of shooters are replaceing top end with 9mm top ends.. I like shooting 38 super and have a lot brass. So what do you guys think. My current top is a 4.5 inch

tks tim

I have thought the same thing, but the reality of it for me is I only buy 1000 new pieces of super comp brass a year. The rest I pick back up after I shoot. What is that like 200 bucks a year? Thats like my customers coming in to buy a new 8 to 10 thousand dollar motorcycle to save gas money. Would have to ride it 24 hours a day 7 days a week! If you have a lot of brass and a good load I would stick with it. Mags are easier to get along with also. Thats just my opinion

I would stay with Supercomp myself. Less hassle to load for and keep running and brass is the least of my expenses for shooting. Do you got a configuration in mind? Since you were previously shooting a shorty, maybe try a full length but lightened 5" slide with a 7 port (3 up, 4 side) steel comp with no extra holes in the barrel. You might like it.....Bedell builds a great top end as well as the best grip treatment out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with 9mm for my first open gun. I had zero gear for open so I just went with the cheaper brass route. Gun is not finished yet but it does eject a major load of 9mm rather well.

If you have a lots of brass why not stay with 38 super.

If you are asking whether to build a new top end or get a used top end and fit it, I would vote for a new top end.

When I had my gunsmith put a new top end on my gun, he (unknown to me) put a used slide on it. It was tight at first, but since I've put a couple thousand rounds through it, it is so loose now that it is distracting when I dry fire. So if it was me, I would just have new top end custom fitted to your gun.

Sent my .38 super STI to Gans and had my slide lightened and converted to 9mm. I hate to pick up brass. Once fired 9mm can be found for 20 bucks a thousand, although it is getting harder to find. Sent my STI mags to hsmith and got them tuned for the nine. No problems for me after a year of shooting. I shoot more for less money and don't sweat picking up brass. I know it's probably not a huge savings, but I'm not loaded with money. I had the money to do it at the time and don't regret the decision. If brass and money is not a issue, then get a new .38 top end.

Like Larry, I'd go with a standard 5", no ports in the slide and then have a 7 port comp. I've shot Voigt's gun that's setup this way and it was really nice and smooth. A bit hypocritical as I shoot a 4-port hybrid 5" gun, but then I like brushing folks away with blast. :D

Rich