Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 brass blown out

AlamoShooter

:blink: What is the normal cause of a round to blow out when I pull the trigger? = it blew down into the mag and caused the floor plate to come out on a 20 round mag with 5 in it.

The barrel was not obstructed, I found the brass and it had a hole at the base ware the extractor would hook it.

I thought it was a fluke and one out of the next 5 did the same thing.

Both times the hole blew out down into the mag

The ammo is not of my own reloading, = the bullet hit my target , the stuff was a gift from a friend and I was going to shoot it on the close hose targets at LaRue. But not now

Edited by AlamoShooter

:blink: What is the normal cause of a round to blow out when I pull the trigger? = it blew down into the mag and caused the floor plate to come out on a 20 round mag with 5 in it.

The barrel was not obstructed, I found the brass and it had a hole at the base ware the extractor would hook it.

I thought it was a fluke and one out of the next 5 did the same thing.

Both times the hole blew out down into the mag

The ammo is not of my own reloading, = the bullet hit my target , the stuff was a gift from a friend and I was going to shoot it on the close hose targets at LaRue. But not now

My guess is that it was poorly reloaded ammo. pull the bullets and weigh the powder charges. Look for consistency. probably an over charged round. don't continue to shoot it.

A friend of mine shot an over-charged .223 round in a suppressed AR-15. destroyed the upper receiver, magazine and bolt. Funny that the charging handle was perfectly fine.

eta: It could have also been fired out of battery. The case was, therefore, unsupported causing a blow out in the case. either way, i say pull the bullets and reload the components with new powder. that way you know what you are putting into it.

Edited by atomicferret

Jamie,

The charge is too heavy, or, the powder is too fast. Return the gift to your friend. Then tell him why. Although, I would pull one round down, and weigh the charge, and examine the powder to see if it looks like it belongs in a pistol case rather than a rifle case.

Jamie,

The charge is too heavy, or, the powder is too fast. Return the gift to your friend. Then tell him why. Although, I would pull one round down, and weigh the charge, and examine the powder to see if it looks like it belongs in a pistol case rather than a rifle case.

+1 dump it before you have to start replacing more parts other than magazine base plates.

:ph34r:

Friends are nice to have but tell them to keep their own reloads to themselves.

I will not shoot reloaded ammo I have not reloaded myself.

Its a safety thing.

Guy might be the nicest friend you have and he makes a mistake because he does not take it as seriously as you do.

Stay away from "donated" reoads.

Just my .02

JK

Friends are nice to have but tell them to keep their own reloads to themselves.

I will not shoot reloaded ammo I have not reloaded myself.

Its a safety thing.

Guy might be the nicest friend you have and he makes a mistake because he does not take it as seriously as you do.

Stay away from "donated" reoads.

Just my .02

JK

+1 to that ... I have seen people pick up ammo off the range and put it with their practice ammo. My rule is never, shoot OPR (Other peoples reloads) or Ammo of unknown origin.

Edited by kaiserb

There are all kinds of wrongness that could be causing this to happen. Return the ammo with the two blown out cases and tell your friend no thank you.

Check to make sure nothing got busted, bent or loosened in the gun and carry on with your own reloads. Seen this happen with N310 in 9mm loads. They wern't over charges, but beat up brass with way too fast of a powder and the degridated case webbing was giving way.

KGunz,

Not looking to jump on you but the pics attached to that link to the thread seem to indicated the ammo was reloaded.

Hornady has their own headstamp on their brass. The brass in the photo has LC on it (Lake City).

The guy re-loaded the ammo or it was remanufactured ammo from ????

Either way it indicates a few things:

1. ALWAYS wear eye pro when around firearms. Even when standing nearby. If you're on the range your eye pro should be on.

Flying pieces of metal can strike anyone not just the shooter.

2. If using reloaded ammo it should be YOUR reloaded ammo.

If you didn't load it or participate in the loading process then my advice is DON'T SHOOT IT.

3. Even factory ammo can be "bad".

When they're manufacturing millions of rounds a year to have a small # get through with a defect is unusual but not totally unheard of.

I've found multiple rounds from the same lot# without primers in boxes of match grade ammo.

Examine your rounds for any obvious defect.

Be careful,

JK

It was factory loaded ammunition loaded by another company under the Hornady name. He has photos on there of the box the ammo came in. It takes a little digging to actually get to the name of the company that actually loaded the ammo.

I agree with everything you said tho!

The guy is a good friend that does not compete, he is more of a collector. The problem I had looks just like the photos on the out side of the brass, but the primer cup is OK and the primer is intact.

I think my friend purchased reloaded ammo for guest to plink cans with.

Of the three I pulled the load was all 22.2 grains of what looks exactly like BLC2 with a 62 gr boat tail

Looks to be too light of a load.?

every round fits in a case Gage and is if any thing it is smaller than my normal reloads, a pulled round still sizes about the same and the primer looks to be a CCI primer = its yellowish in side.

All the cases measure out short at 1.74" not the 1.75 I cut my brass to

I have 250 rounds of it Looks like I will just pull it all .....some day

Thanks for the help

JF

What is on the headstamp of the brass?

Both pieces that blew out is LC 97 the stuff is mixed date but all LC brass of the 9 that I shot two have over flat primers and the others have normal primers.

I looked over the stuff before I tested it the first time with 10 rounds that grouped fine at 200 yards and thin set it aside to shoot at the LaRue match, that is a lost brass match. Just out of habit I tested it last night and got the big surprise.

Now I have to scramble to load close round bullets in my pampered long range Bench rest quality brass.

I would rather just shoot the Wolf on close targets and save my good brass.