Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shoot tomorrow and introductions

Sarge

Hey all. I will be at Milford tomorrow for my first match. I am a little anxious to get the first match under my belt so I can settle into a groove and start learning. I know these questions are posted elsewhere but any last minute things I should know or prepare for? I look forward to meeting any forum members who will be there. I will be clearly IDable since I will have my club badge on and will no doubt look like the fish out of water. Please introduce yourselves. Till tomorrow!

Edited by sandman78

Welcome. Last minute items?? I assume you know the equipment you need and division you will be shooting. If not any one here can help you. Make sure you're ammo is good, if you're using reloads chamber check every round. Have a couple of drinks to stay hydrated. Take a small towel to clean dirty mags etc.

Advise someone in charge this is you're first match and they will guide you though their safety requirements and get you squadded.

Have fun, take your time and be safe. Remember this is not an easy sport and it takes time and energy to progress.

The who takes your money will probably be Ray. Tell him it is your first time and he'll take you from there.

This is from there site:

New shooters are welcome, providing they attend the safety orientation. Orientation is in the morning before the match begins. It takes about 45 minutes (reservations in advance are appreciated and are held at the safe area. (Bowling pin range behind the clubhouse).

http://www.miamirifle-pistol.org/practical_pistol.php

Get there early enough for the orientation and to load mags etc.

And have fun! :cheers:

As a new competitor who has managed to survive my first couple matches:

Slow down.

Take sunscreen.

Watch what everyone else is doing.

Slow down.

Follow the range commands and keep your pistol pointed in a safe direction, finger off the trigger, etc.

Slow down.

Have fun.

If you're not sure about something, ask.

Go to the Miscellanous Beginner Forum and look at the first thread "Your First USPSA Match" Lot of good info there.

Have fun, and don't try to go fast, just breath and shoot As as well as you can. Your first season will be about that mostly anyway. You are so going to be over your head with this soon. I still get that nervous feeling anytime I shoot out of town. It is such a kick, I wish I could afford to do so every week!.

Good luck, tell us how it went.

JZ

So far I have everything posted covered. I have been talking to Ray off and on for a few months I have been shooting the steel matches to get some of the bugs worked out. I had planned to get to the range early anyway so no problems there.

Production

M&P PRO

Ammo

Belt

Mag holders

Etc..

Yep, I should be good.

Sandman,

You gave me some good advice a couple of weeks ago. I appreciated it. I will be anxious to hear how your match goes as I don't have my first one until April 4th. I will expect a full report..ok? Have fun and be safe!

Edited by mwc101

See ya tomorrow morning Sandman. Looks cold for the first few stages but should be warm by 3 or 4. Dress in layers! The little woman is running her first match tomorrow as well with an M&P Pro - seems like a popular choice this year.

Addict

welcome to the board Addict is that you SW? There's no name in your profile...If that's you Steve, your little woman was talking smack at the car :D Don't tell her I told you so.

Sandman - sorry we didn't hook up. were you there in the crowd? We need names tags I guess...I was wearing a black Surly hat shooting single stack.

It was a great day and a record crowd.

Yeh I was there. I was the third to sign up. Total was 88 shooters last I heard. I was thinking the exact same thing about some kind of name badge or something, at least the first few spring matches. I was supposed to link up with a guy who had some bullets for me and that just was not going to happen as crowded as it was. I was wearing Gray M&P shirt and shooting real well! OK, I really did have the shirt on. :rolleyes:

I was even thinking of suggesting some kind of get together for BE members like right after the matches or something. It just seems crazy to talk on here quite a bit and be so close to each other geographically to not meet and get to know each other.

I was also thinking of posting a small sign or something and getting BE'ers to gather round it at sign in.

Partial update.

If you are a new or prospective shooter reading this and are wondering if it is as fun as it looks- It is.

Is it as hard as it looks? If you can shoot half way decent already, not really.

Do you need an expensive gun? No but you need a reliable gun. In this game if you try running a jammer you have no chance. Just ask the guy with a fairly expensive piece that absolutely refused to run.

Do you need expensive gear? No. A good holster and some mag pouches on a thick belt works well. That is what most recreational shooters used. Most people used $5 safety glasses instead of Oakleys or Rudys.

Do you need to be safe? Lets put it this way. You pay your money to shoot, you get squadded up, you get loaded up, you get psyched up, But if you screw up, you go home. In my opinion if you are going to practice anything it should be handling your gun safely. You have to run or at least walk with a gun in your hands, reload on the move, stoop down, reach around walls, draw from your holster and perform several other tasks while absolutely, positively maintaining directional control of the gun.

I feel a match is no place to be learning how to do these things. You have to know how to do them at the very first beep. And keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

As a new shooter you will be watched like a hawk by the RO, you may feel like he does not trust you and get offended until you realize he watches EVERY shooter like a hawk. The RO with us watched every last shooter from load and make ready until the final holstering. That is a good RO in my book.

Don't be intimidated by all the talk and gear. I guarantee there will be shooters at every match that you can finish ahead of regardless of their gear or talk.

One last thing. Reread the second sentence!!

Edited by sandman78

Final update. I surprised myself big time. I managed a top 10 finish in production if I am reading the spread sheet correctly. It looks like I was plenty accurate I just have to start working on my times. I know there were a lot of beginners in the crowd but I am still quite happy.

I thank everybody here for all the great tips and tricks I managed to swipe over the winter.

That is a great start to the season Sandman! I can tell you I started trying to get the speed before the accuracy and had a painful few matches last year learing you cannot make up for D's or penelties. Dont try to outrun your sights!

:cheers:

Addict