Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free Brass

NovaShooter

So my buddy calls me up yesterday and says I have 3-5 Gallon buckets full of .40 brass for you come pick it up.

I get it home and to my liking I also found a ton of .223 brass mixed in, I Like It!!!

Anyway the question is that the Headstamp on the .40 is P-ARH 40 S&W, what the hell is this I have never seen it before.

Thanks,

Jayson

Edited by NovaShooter

Jayson,

For your safety I would not reload that stuff! Just set it in you garage and when I come up for the VA/MD match I'll dispose of it for you. I'm thinking only of your safety and you family's piece of mind you know. :cheers::devil:

The "reduced hazard" part to me speaks a frangible bullet. It may or may not have used a lead free primer. Any crimp should be obvious upon inspection. Cases are commonly marked "NT" when lead free primers are used.

One means of trying to determine if it used a lead free primer is how clean the interior of the case is. The first time I fired Cleanfire primers in brass cases, the case looked, essentially, unfired since there was no residue. A lead styphnate primer will leave the interior of the case fairly loaded with residue.

Guy

The "reduced hazard" part to me speaks a frangible bullet. It may or may not have used a lead free primer. Any crimp should be obvious upon inspection. Cases are commonly marked "NT" when lead free primers are used.

One means of trying to determine if it used a lead free primer is how clean the interior of the case is. The first time I fired Cleanfire primers in brass cases, the case looked, essentially, unfired since there was no residue. A lead styphnate primer will leave the interior of the case fairly loaded with residue.

Guy

Ah, thanks. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

P-ARH reloads fine. Primer pocket is not crimped. Some of mine has been reloaded a couple of times and seems about the same as everything else that's been recycled through the reloader.

Got a few live rounds of this to try out. Word has it that it 'shoots soft'. Still have to send some through a chrono, just to have that piece of information on file somewhere ....

Thanks for the info. Did you say you had a few live frangiable rounds to try out. Had a buddy that had a bunch of that stuff and decided to use it at a match. He didn't give any thought to that it would not knock down the poppers. It got alot of laughs.

... Did you say you had a few live frangiable rounds to try out. Had a buddy that had a bunch of that stuff and decided to use it at a match. He didn't give any thought to that it would not knock down the poppers. ....

My source tells me that it will knock down range steel. I'd planned to set up the chrono and back it with a popper after the last match, but had to hurry home after clean-up. Maybe next month. I only have a half-dozen rounds to play with, so it won't be a 'frangible hose-fest', just a curiosity to play with once.

• 2 weeks later...