Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight alignment issue

noxcuse73

Well I've got my 1100 Tac-4 running like a scalded dog, but I've run into a little speed bump. I replaced the front bead with a screw down fiber optic assy. and triangle fiber insert. It's really fast and I like it a lot. It's a lot faster that the rifle sights I used to use as for transitioning and sight aquisition. The problem is coming from shooting slugs at distance with the standard both eye open technique. My left eye is seeing the target and my right eye is seeing the fiber optic but somehow my brain is lining it up between my eyes about where my nose is. Long story short, if I get a sight picture like normal and then squint my left eye, the rib and sight are lined up left which throws a slug right through the letter "D" on the left side of the target with the elevation perfect. I shot 3 in a row on a stage this weekend at the match and you could've laid the targets on top of each other and the holes would've lined up. All on the left through the "D". If I remember to squint before the shot I can put them in the "A" all day with ease. I really need a rear reference point to align it quickly without thinking about it. It needs to fit on the rib and be solid. I've seen something on the Army marksman shotguns that looks like a miniature hood/ghost ring looking thing halfway down the rib which probably shades the rear bead making it easier to see. Does anyone know what it is, where I can get one, and will it fit my 1100? Or is there some technique I can try other than squinting my left eye to correct the problem?

JV

I'm bringing plenty of kleenex to the match so that will work great! I just wasn't planning on having to use it myself. I'll have a little travel pack of them on a d-ring hanging off my gear for quick access in case someone has a breakout.

JV

You might want to consider a center bead sight to align with the front. You can move it as far back as you want to. There are plenty of different sized center bead sights for shotguns, so you should be able to find something that works for slugs that dose not get in the way the rest of the time.

The other thing that might work is to focus on the target like shooting an open gun and just let the front sight work like the dot. Do not focus on the front sight.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Thanks for the input. Don't see quite what I'm looking for just yet. I'll have to look at the rib "slope" tomorrow. That gives me another idea. I was hoping to avoid having to drill and tap a rear bead. Need more ideas.

Thanks,

JV

I would put on a non-magnified (aren't they all?) Aim-Point, like the one on your Carbine :D, barring that I would blend in an express type sight from XS samll and you wouldn't even notice it untill you need it. KurtM

Trying to avoid optics at least on the shotgun and handgun, but thanks Kurt. Are ya going to make it to Larue? I was playing with it again today and figured out that I could roll/cant/angle the shotgun slightly to the left instead of completely upright/vertical and it seems to pull it into my cheek and line it up better. This will take a bit of practice to get a consistent slight cant to the left to get a consistent POI. It's a minor correction in technique, but I think it might work out, plus I like it better than squinting one eye. Thanks again guys.

JV

Edited by noxcuse73

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like your left eye dominant. I have the same problem and

found this style sight at Sportsmans when I went looking for one

for my 1100.

http://www.easyhitusa.com/products/shootin...gun_sights.aspx

The small length of tubing behind the bead keeps your left eye from seeing the

bead while allowing your right eye to see it clearly. It helps quite a bit, but

there is still a small amount of double vision.

Definitely NOT left eye dominant, but that suresight concept does insure vent rib sight alignment like a hood, rear bead, or hooded rear bead would. I did talk with the AMU guys in the hotel at the Larue shoot and looked at what I had seen on there guns on TV. It is a home-made pc. that they machine inhouse in there machine shop. It was simple, anodized aluminum, low profile, and clamped on the back of the vent rib. I did try rolling the rear of the reciever counter-clockwise into my shoulder just a little bit and it seemed to work just fine at the match. I think for now this will be a good solution for me until I can find or make something like the AMU guys have.

Thanks again everyone,

JV