Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting from Prone Position - Bad Back and Old Eyes

WatchmanUSA

I'm relatively new to IDPA shooting and have been competing in indoor matches this winter. We have not been doing any prone shooting and I'm sure once we go outdoors I might sees some.

I have some back issues combined with my old eyes and it seems I can't get my head high enough to get a good sight picture of any target not very near the ground. However, if I roll on my side I can see most any sight picture.

If I go prone and roll to my side would I incur a penalty?

In 6 years I recall going prone twice. The thing to remember is that we are shooting IDPA for recreation, don't do things that are going to hurt you. Discuss options with the SO, in a case like this I'd probably ask you to kneel and take a 3 sec procedural no big deal. B)

If I go prone and roll to my side would I incur a penalty?

Adding this:

If you are able to go prone and get up without hurting yourself I see no problem with the above. In fact I have seen this done before.

We had some prone shots in our club but all the is dictated is you need to shoot from prone or under a object etc, i didnt see anyone actually shoot prone the way you described it, everyone have some sort of leaning on one shoulder kinda technique. The one thing that is nice about our IDPA club is they don't get real picky on the details as long as the general meaning is followed. You can relate this to real life, your not going to do something in real life that you can't physically do, you are going to address the situation to the best of your ability.

Actually the technique of rolling onto your right side (assuming a right-handed shooter), pulling the left leg up to brace the left side of your body off the ground, and turning your head to the side to pick up the sights is called the Chapman Rollover Prone position, and not only is it legal, it's considered a fairly advanced, effective technique.

Dats how I do it also. OTOH I can't remember the last time we had a prone stage. We would never have one in a Sanctioned match. One simple reason - rain. No one wants to roll around in the mud. BTDT

Should rolling over to your side be a little hard on the body two alternatives could possibly be:

1. get shooting glasses with a single prescription lense. Although this may cause everything else to be a bit fuzzy depending on how strong your glasses are.

or

2. Get the reading prescription put in the top portion of your lenses.

I've seen [no pun intended] both done.