Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my gun back with CCC magwell

sinnsyk

Probably cruel not to post pictures. Will attempt to get some taken tomorrow. But have to say that I'm super excited about my Limited 40 with the new Canyon Creek magwell. Lately been stuck behind my desk answering phone calls and emails. Of all the modifications and upgrades I've done to my gun over the past two years, adding this huge magwell is the first new thing that's really getting me super-excited about going to the range to shoot. Besides making reloads easier, the way the magwell sticks out in the front it closes the grip in a way that will help with recoil management. I shot these guns before magwells were available from the factory and we dealt with it. But all factory attempts have not been able to accomplish how the gun grips now... Looking forward to Double Tap..

Get my limited back yesterday. Rich also has my open gun and my Hunter 10mm. All being dressed up with magwells. Changes the whole feel of the gun - huge difference in grip - grippability - grippaliciousness to be exact :roflol:

I would like to check one out. but honestly it would be pretty hard to beat the balance of a gold team V8 with the front dust cover shortened or the weight of a slide lightened limited... Last time I saw you doing reloads you didn't have any problems with the size of the magwell, but its been a while since you shot, a bigger one may be your speed now.

Leo

Haven't had time to take pics today. Been a busy day.

But.. I weighed my gun with the CCC magwell, a slightly lightened slide, EGW trigger parts, iFiber front sight, TiteFit slidepin, longer aluminum grips (same as Stock II) it ended up weighing in at:

1215 grams

which equates to:

43.4 ounces

...which... is about the same as my 1911 Canyon Creek Single Stack Wonder (including an empty mag).

It weighs in at 43 ounces

1911 SS Gun w/o magazine is 41 ounces

Edited by sinnsyk

The box I'm using is 149.50mm which is a little small and it's just too big for that one. I will probably slide into a 150 - 151mm box, but before I'm heading out for an IPSC match I'll grind a little off the bottom. For USPSA it doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Henning is holding out on you guys I will post up some pics of my Canyon Creek mag well. I went a different installation rout and used a heavy duty epoxy to attach the magwell to the gun. I was really leery of welding it on and figured that if I epoxy it on it can come back off at a later date if needed without too much trouble. If you weld it on its pretty much a done deal. You would also have to get the frame refinished from the welding heat and slag cleanup marks. The epoxy rout was a lot cleaner and easier for me. I don't think it will come off during normal use as I scored the frame and mag well pretty good to give the epoxy plenty of groves to seep into to create a solid hold. Once the magwell was attached there was a good amount of dremel work needed to smooth the transition from the magwell to the frame as there was a step between the two. The frame opening was smaller than the mag well base so the dremel work was on the frame side and very little on the mag well its self. About an hour of dremel work of grinding and polishing was rewarded with a sooth as silk transition between the two surfaces. Since Henning does not have the longer grip panels in stock yet I had to rig up the old mag well sides to cover up the gap between the existing grip panel and new mag well. Once I get the new grip panels and take off the rigged up ones it will be really nice. I just rigged this up for shooting this coming weekend as I couldn’t wait for the longer grip panels to get in stock. I have not shot the gun yet since installing the magwell but I have done a lot of dry fire and mag changes with it. The mag changes are pretty much monkey proof now. You can be WAY off on your mag insertion and it still goes right in. Since the mag well is lower and deeper a 21+1 base pad is pretty much needed. If you have shorter mag pads you might run into problems with seating the mag because the mag pad would seat above the bottom of the mag well. The grip on the pistol is MUCH improved. The front lip of the mag well locks your pinky fingers into the grip very solidly. The sides of the mag well lock in the base of your palms really good as well. I am eager to see how this more secure locked in grip reduces muzzle flip while shooting. Here are some pictures of the mag well and me gripping it from a few different angles. This really shows you how much more locked in the grip is. If you are thinking about getting this mag well, stop thinking about it and DO IT!!! You will not be disappointed.

Here is the stock mag well as a comparison

Same vantage point new Mag Well

Other side of the gun

Free Style Grip from strong hand side

Free Style Grip from Bottom

Free Style Grip Close Up from the bottom

Strong Hand only

Close Up of the Mag Well

Another Close Up of the Mag Well

Sorry about the links instead of the embedded pics, for whatever reason the forum wasn’t allowing me to embed the pics into the post.

Jody Waring> I use a 5 min epoxy made by Loctite. The URL to the exact one is listed below. I chose it because it was clear and was really easy to work with. It self mixes as you apply it so there is no messy mixing before use or stuff like that. Before I glued the parts together I took the dremel to the base of the frame and the inside of the mag well to rough up the metal and to cut some small grooves. This gives the epoxy more to grab onto. If you apply the epoxy to the smooth metal it may not take hold very well. Even though this is a 5 minute epoxy I let it cure for about an hour before I went at it with the dremel. Out of fear that it might come loose while shooting I tried my best to pull the mag well off by hand yesterday and it is ROCK SOLID. I am not a small kid either and can usually get stuff "Done" with my bare hands. I would probably have to beat it with a hammer to get it to break free, which is a good thing.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/de...49&plid=157

I had a chance to shoot a match with the new mag well today. All I can say is WOW!!! The more secure grip all but eliminates muzzle flip and the mag changes are nearly impossible to screw up. The mags just pop right in the gun. Its like there is a magnet in the magwell pulling the magazines right to where they should go. After the match I headed up to Henning's shop to get some of the new grip panels made just for the Canyon Creek Mag well. I got a pair of Black Checkered grip panels and they are super quality and fit like a glove on the gun. I have taken some pictures of the new grip panels on the gun and have listed them below. Anyone who is serious about USPSA/IPSC competition MUST HAVE one of these Canyon Creek mag wells and Henning Grip Panels. If you don't have it you are at a serious disadvantage.

Checkered_Grip_Left.jpg

Checkered_Grip_Right.sized.jpg

Hope we can see the pics soon... :cheers:

I would really like to see some good pictures of your gun. yes the one you have in your avatar!! looks promising.

Hi, here's a few pics of my 'open' and 'metalic' guns that I use for Int 1920 action match. I made the magwells, shroud and mover base scope mount for them.

post-18500-1239022820_thumb.jpg

post-18500-1239022878_thumb.jpg

post-18500-1239023179_thumb.jpg

Edited by BundyBear

Hope we can see the pics soon... :cheers:

I would really like to see some good pictures of your gun. yes the one you have in your avatar!! looks promising.

Hi, here's a few pics of my 'open' and 'metalic' guns that I use for Int 1920 action match. I made the magwells, shroud and mover base scope mount for them.

post-18500-1239022820_thumb.jpg

post-18500-1239022878_thumb.jpg

post-18500-1239023179_thumb.jpg

WOW! :surprise: That magwell is awsome, do you have any pics of the opening?

• 2 weeks later...

Well after using the CCC Magwell for a couple of weeks I can say with 100% certainty that this is a MUST for the serious competition shooter. It makes mag changes a breeze and it completes/locks in your grip nicely. The epoxy job I did on mine is still rock solid and I don't foresee it breaking loose unless I want it to come off, which is a nice option to have verses permanently welding it on.

If you don't have one of these mag wells, order one NOW. You will not be disappointed with its performance!!!

Cha-Lee

So the aluminum grips you bought from henning to fit that canyon creek magwell, are they on his website? Or are they a special length? I am very interested in one of these magwells and some aluminum grips that will work with it.

thanks