Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raising a reloading bench

ER_STL

I'm about 75% of the way through my (first) reloading bench when I started to realize that it's going to be too short for me. I followed this design.

The frame is done so replacing the legs with longer boards would be a hassle. Has anyone here tried to build on to the legs of a bench to make it taller? If so, how did you do it? I'm considering cutting 4 inch "extensions" and attaching them to the bottom of the legs and connecting them with yet another, similar piece of wood. I'm even considering pieces on two of the four sides of each leg to ensure it's strong enough.

Any ideas?

I'm about 75% of the way through my (first) reloading bench when I started to realize that it's going to be too short for me. I followed this design.

The frame is done so replacing the legs with longer boards would be a hassle. Has anyone here tried to build on to the legs of a bench to make it taller? If so, how did you do it? I'm considering cutting 4 inch "extensions" and attaching them to the bottom of the legs and connecting them with yet another, similar piece of wood. I'm even considering pieces on two of the four sides of each leg to ensure it's strong enough.

Any ideas?

How about build it on top of another low shelf?

hi! you mentioned adding a 4" extension to each leg. think about doing it this way if you need 4 more inches. adding a 4" extension to each leg would realy be a pain for you plus it would look funny an would have a chance of being unstable. i would just run a 4X4 from front to back on each leg.or maybe i should say side this would be much more stable an would look like you ment for it to be this way from the start. this would be much more stable also.

i would much rather be lucky than good. an you should always be able to fix a f@@kup with out it being noticed... from an old boss.!

Edited by joecefus

If it was mine, I would instal new legs. The cost in time and materials will pale in comparison to my frustration everytime I looked at the extensions. You will probably be using this bench for many years, so the little amount of lost time and money now will pay off in the long run.

I have made similar mistakes, and it has always been faster to back up and fix the mistakes, than to try and modify the design.

Just my opinion

Randy

Thanks for the responses. After thinking it over I'm going to replace the legs with longer ones. I considered going with the Strong Mount for the press but I'd rather have the entire bench raised up.

I'll post pictures when I have it finished.

Edited by ER_STL

Thanks for the responses. After thinking it over I'm going to replace the legs with longer ones. I considered going with the Strong Mount for the press but I'd rather have the entire bench raised up.

try this, it will save you some time:

post-1268-1236874387_thumb.jpg

i would just run a 4X4 from front to back on each leg.or maybe i should say side

+1. Kinda like a "skid" on each end.

At the very least, it would let you try out the new height without having to tear it all apart and rebuild it first.

If you just add the 4x4's, drill holes in the bottom and put in T-bolts that are tapped for a set of refridgerator legs. This will give you about an inch of final adjustment, also makes it easy to level on concrete. I built two benches together and it cost about $10 per bench.

That's what I would do. You can use the "old" legs for shelf and worktop supports.