Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading .40 S&W with cast lead

Have just begun reloading for XDM handgun. I have loaded up and fired 30rnds of Horn. 180GR. HP under 4.5 gr Titegroup sucessfully. I did get a small shaving of brass around projectile whith seating/crimping die(Horn. titanium dies)?

Would like to start reloading with cast lead boolits next. Are there any special things i will need to do or just reload like i have?

Will i have to lube bullet?

Do most of you reload with lead to save on cost? are they as accurate for practice?

thanks

Lubing is a must fro what I have seen. Never tried any that were not lubed. I found that I had to sxpand the mouth of the case a little more with lead ot keep from shaving lead off of every bullet.

Found that lead shoots as well as anything else that I have shot out of my Glocks with aftermarket barrels. Quite a bit cheaper as well depending on what brand you go with.

Yes, you will have to bell your brass more than most people bell jacketed when loading. Good lead bullets can be more accurate but I think slugging your barrel and shooting bullets sized .001" larger is important. If your barrel is new shoot some jacketed a while or polish your barrel to eliminate burrs. An older barrel has probably been shot smooth already. I have a S&W 629 that I polished with Simichrome and that brought the groups closer considerably. If you mold you own bullets you will probably have to size and lube them, it will depend on the mold you use. Do you intend on molding your own or buying molded bullets in bulk?

Cast bullets are way cheaper! z40acp is correct, guns will be finicky about size. I shoot revolvers, but for any gun in uspsa you won't have to work too hard to figure out a good enough cast bullet load. They can equal jacketed for accuracy. You should also get more velocity for a given load, and less wear on the barrel.

The main complaint with them is the smoke, which is actually mostly from the lube. Certain lubes (the bullets will always come lubed) and certain powders will smoke more, and the smoke, under certain conditions, can actually be hard to see through.

The other problem is that a new barrel or certain bullets may get some "leading". It looks like dark streaks in the barrel that stay after you clean it. If they get real bad, the gun will get inaccurate. If you shoot some jacketed bullets through it, they will disappear.

Welcome to reloading! It's a real luxury to be able to experiment with all of the different components, you'll have an edge over those that don't, and save a ton of money, too!

I'd suggest you take one step at a time. Buy some cast bullets from a local to you supplier. Bell the mouth more that you did with the jacketed bullets. You might also consider the precision bullets as an option to cast. Casting your own is a great way to save, and I've started pouring my own 175 gr 40's, but buy a few thousand first and see if your gun will shoot them.

Another thought is I'd start off with a heavy slow bullet like the 175gr, rather than say a 155 lighter faster bullet.

I've had really good luck with 185 gr. .40 Precision Bullets. My load is 4.0 gr. of Power Pistol with an O.A.L. Of 1.33. This gives me a power factor of around 135 in my STI, XD and Glock 35. Hope this helps.

Yes, you will have to bell your brass more than most people bell jacketed when loading. Good lead bullets can be more accurate but I think slugging your barrel and shooting bullets sized .001" larger is important. If your barrel is new shoot some jacketed a while or polish your barrel to eliminate burrs. An older barrel has probably been shot smooth already. I have a S&W 629 that I polished with Simichrome and that brought the groups closer considerably. If you mold you own bullets you will probably have to size and lube them, it will depend on the mold you use. Do you intend on molding your own or buying molded bullets in bulk?

Plan on buying in bulk from here. found out i can pick up from him on my way home from work so no shipping!

http://snscasting.com/index.html

• 1 month later...
Solo 1000 and WST are two good powders for lead bullets in .40.

I've loaded several thousand trunicated cone 180 grn lead bullets with no problems, save one...After about 1,000 rounds loaded, you'll have to clean the bullet seating and the bullet crimping die, they get lead build up. I've used LaserCast with no probs, but I mainly stay with Space Coast Bullets (Melbourne, Fl)...extremely cheap (around $39.00 for 500) and VERY consisitent. Look up Space Coast Bullets on Google...As for powder, I stick with one....Alliant Power Pistol...clean, very versatile, have loaded them up with as much as 7.3 grains (very hot!), down to 5.8 grains. This powder works with just about every caliber I own.

Edited by GrumpyOne

I've had really good luck with 185 gr. .40 Precision Bullets. My load is 4.0 gr. of Power Pistol with an O.A.L. Of 1.33. This gives me a power factor of around 135 in my STI, XD and Glock 35. Hope this helps
As for powder, I stick with one....Alliant Power Pistol...clean, very versatile, have loaded them up with as much as 7.3 grains (very hot!), down to 5.8 grains. This powder works with just about every caliber I own.

I too like power pistol and for my .40 major loads i use a 180 tc lead bullet with 5.9 grains for 175 p/f out of my M&P. I am working up a minor load and got down to 4.0 of power pistol and it was consistant, accurate and soft shooting but it smoked so bad i thought it was muzzleloader season :surprise: . Do you guys have smoking problems with this powder at lower pressures. High pressure rounds (see above) with the same bullet have very little smoke.