Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think my draw could be quicker.

bkeeler

The sound was not working for me but as the "Burner" & "TGO" tapes taught us on their tapes. Its not how fast you get to your gun but its about reacting to the first note of the Beep and how fast you draw and index(Presentation) your gun makes a fast good first shot.

Definitely more efficient. You can still clean it up a bit though. Note how your hand travels to the pistol in a bit of an arc, from outside in. In the start position, your hand is above the pistol, but when it goes to the pistol it loops around and comes in from the side. It's much easier to see as you slowly raise your hand from the pistol to the start position. And this is very important - you want to train the "up movement" to exactly mirror the "down movement."

Stand in front of a tall mirror. Grip the pistol in the holster, then raise your hand as straight up as possible to the start position. (No outward curving action.) Keep experimenting with various upper arm/elbow positions until you find the best starting position tha allows your hand to travel straight up, and straight down. Remember the feeling of the movement as your raise your hand. Then, without drawing, move your hand slowly, straight back down to the pistol. Keep repeating those two movements until you've grooved them both in. Then you can start speeding up the draw stroke.

Repeat that exercise day after day after day.

Everything else looked good. Hardly any head movement throughout the draw stroke - that's a good thing.

be

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to suggest the arm position as well, I promise. Your original arm position resembles the position of a lot of GMs, but that position works for them because they're going to a forward mounted speed holster. You might want to rethink your reference points as well, you don't have to move your hands all the way to your muffs.

I usually just find my position by reverse drawing. After the gun goes in the holster, I rotate my hand up while keeping my elbow still, until I clear my shoulder.

H.

Brian,

Interesting take on the hand. I used to smoke along pretty good with my race holster and surrender draw, coming down on the gun like that... But, my hands at the side draw, I couldn't go at the gun as aggressively. I would loose stability on anything like a scoop, and coming up and over from hands at side...just wasn't as efficient for me.

Then I saw where Burkett suggesting coming in on the side of the gun. As in...if you grip the gun while it's in the holster, then just open face you hand, then move it laterally an inch or two... that would be your index point to bring the hand to when drawing.

For my thinking, Burkett's "from the side" sounded like a 'leather slap'. I was able to treat it as such, giving me consistency and stability from any draw position. (without really "slapping" and all that inefficiency that that word might imply)

I recall the burner videos, and for an hands at side draw, he wanted the fronts strap level with the ground (so the muzzle would have a slightly forward angle). For surrender, he wanted the slide vertical, so he could come right down on the backstrap and not worry about the beaver tail getting in the way.

Of course, our OP is talking about a pure Steel Challenge draw. I just thought I'd throw some random stuff out there. Food for thought. I really need to get back to working on my draw (and reloads). It's been too long since I actually did anything that resembles regular training.

• 4 weeks later...

Up date:

This weekend's 4/18/09 Steel match I set some personal best times.

Smoke & Hope 10.69 Total of 4 runs.

Zig Zag 13.20 Total of 4 runs

Double Trouble 6.19 total of 4 runs

Not Again I set 3 personal best 2.96,2.92, 2.79 blew 2 runs when I pushed a little to hard and got a couple +5's. That can be worked out.

Finished 4th overall and 2nd Limited. To see results visit my Range Diary.

I asked the RO on the last run of Smoke & Hope to see what my first shot time was it was a .96 draw out of the DOH holster :D . I am liking the new draw position and wider stance it is working out well. Thanks Brian and to everyone else that helped out!

Thanks Again.

BK