Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP6 for production

I won one at one of the NRA 3 guns this year and sort of delayed collecting it until a couple weeks ago. Wow! Pretty impressive. I concur with the amazing single action trigger reset and smooth light pull in double action. Naturally I had to texture the areas "textured" from the factory but I can't find anything else that needs to be done. I'm actually tempted to shoot some production with this thing! While I'm waiting on the Bladetech, I thru some heat to a XD holster to soften it up some and the GP6 fits okay for now.

are the mag pouches for the XD working as well?

Mule

• 1 month later...

I got to handle, but not shoot, a GP6-C yesterday. Maybe I can join in on a range trip the next couple of weeks that it is in the hands of the holster maker.

Pro:

Grip shape and size is good for my medium-small hands. It is kind of smooth, but a little grip tape will take care of that.

SA trigger is among the best I have seen on a service pistol. Everybody is thrilled with the short reset, and it has no discernable overtravel or "slap." Reach is about right for my finger.

Sight picture is good. You would think they could have set the rear sight farther back and gained a little sight radius but its "protected position" may be all to the good. It is an Elliason sight like everybody of a certain generation griped about kicking off their Gold Cups.

Con: DA trigger is good as factory triggers go, but it is not what I would want to compete with. The deep curve of the trigger found my finger on the sharp point if I did not grab it exactly right.

The ambi safety is not very prominent and might be prone to swiping over if shot SA for something like IDPA ESP. A post says the -C is supposed to have bigger levers, but this one does not; unless the standard model's are just flat.

The ambi slide stop is completely flat and subject to swiping over if used for IDPA which requires slide lock reloads.

I have not benched mine to see what type groups it might be capable of... but I shot a few hundred rounds thru mine and one local match. I think I really like it... the rotating bolt makes the recoil feel diff. but I'm not sure that it is really less felt recoil. Mags are good to go and easy to load full and they seat well in the gun even when they are full.

I did weld up the left side safety lever and recut it to get a better size and shape, but it's a really comforable design and out of the box shoots impressively well.

I did weld up the left side safety lever and recut it to get a better size and shape...

Jim,

Was it real bad to start with? What was the down-side to the stock part? (most here won't customize it as that would make the gun illegal for USPSA Production division)

I did weld up the left side safety lever and recut it to get a better size and shape...

Jim,

Was it real bad to start with? What was the down-side to the stock part? (most here won't customize it as that would make the gun illegal for USPSA Production division)

I agree, probably not legal for Production Division, but it certainly needs to be done. We asked for FO front sights and nice adjustable rears and got that. We asked for extended mag release and got that. We asked for more dexterity in the slide stop release leaver and the ambi safety and DID not get that. It's still a really nice handgun. I had a police officer just leave the store and he said he might come back for the Competition model. It's comparable in price to the M&P with ambi safety he came in to look at, and he liked it better.

Jim,

I flat out love this gun, but to be kind, the safety isn't swell. I would never carry this cocked and locked, and I probably wouldn't shoot this in Standard/Limited. The safety works fine. It's positive on and off. It doesn't slip off or on. However, it's skimpy feeling, and not placed where a 1911 fan will want it to be.

For production, I could care less. I thumb the hammer down and forget that a safety exists. I was tempted to get the plugs Grand Power offers to delete the safety all together.

• 3 months later...

Jim,

I flat out love this gun, but to be kind, the safety isn't swell. I would never carry this cocked and locked, and I probably wouldn't shoot this in Standard/Limited. The safety works fine. It's positive on and off. It doesn't slip off or on. However, it's skimpy feeling, and not placed where a 1911 fan will want it to be.

For production, I could care less. I thumb the hammer down and forget that a safety exists. I was tempted to get the plugs Grand Power offers to delete the safety all together.

Have you or anyone else tried removing the safety? I'm wondering about making a new safety lever or some plugs and doing away with the safety.

Mule

I put 500 rds of factory ammo through my GP-6 and found the rail grove chipped. Its my under standing that there was a batch of slides that where over heat treated and they are brittle. My GP-6 has been sent back to STI to be fixed. Up till then it has been a good pistol. The same same sa trigger is very nice da is a bit long and recoil is mild as to be expected for a full size nine. A more pronounced safety, big mag button/lever to and a adjustable trigger can be ordered from Grand power the makers of this pistol. I hope I get my GP-6 back soon in good working order Erik Runyan :(

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...