Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith

Rbelote

I have been told to use a local smith incase I need work in a hurry before a major match. Then I have had people say they send their guns off, but they can do the minor work need incase there is a probelm before a match. What do you do...send it to the most popular smith or use a local one? Also is there a Gods gift smith out there or are all top smith equal?

Depends on what you need to have done. Benny Hill is so fast it seems like it's not really sending it off. Matt Cheely is a freakin artist, and there are many others. Those are my first 2 choices for 1911/2011 work. Most of the little things I do here in my home shop.

It depends on whether the smith in your area just happens to be one of the few folks who really, really know what they're doing. The handful of really top smiths are probably pretty equal and picking one is more a matter of style than substance. R,

I send mine off to a local guy. He is probably one of the most skilled gunsmiths in the country, but he only works with people through recommendations from people he trusts. I'd give out his name, but that would take me off his list- so sorry. He can also make a knife frighteningly sharp. :blush:

Thanks for the replies. I live in southwest Mississippi, so I dont have any of the real famous gunsmiths in my area. There is a famous PPC gunsmith near by, but he quit doing complete builds. Clark Custom is about 4 hours away, so I was considering them. I want a place where I can drop it off and they do A-Z. I know chances are I will have to get machine work done at a different place and probably get it coated somewhere else, but I want the rest done at one place. I have had some grandmasters say that a guy an hour away from me is top knotch at fitting a barrel and slide to frame fitting, so would you say those 2 things are the most important?

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any top smiths in my area that I would trust my guns with. It would certainly make my life easier, but for now I'll send it off to someone I trust. There are plenty of great smiths that can turn the work around in a reasonable amount of time. Gary at Gans Guns is one that comes to mind immediately.

I think it really depends on the work required and the amount of knowledge/skill the shooter has with the gun in question. For example, I do stuff to Glocks that the average person would have no clue about, but then again, I don't have the skill level of John Nagel and don't venture into stuff like slide tightening. With a 1911/2011, I can fully disassemble and change springs/parts if needed, but I'm not cutting into metal any time soon.

So, I think for any shooter who shoots USPSA they should have the basic skills needed to swap parts and springs as needed for any gun they plan to run in competition. When you get into the relm of reforming or removing metal from parts the small stuff might be a good skill to have too, but the big stuff should go to a gunsmith if you don't have the training. Sooner or later your gun will break. It's necessary to understand how to diagnose and fix the problem if within you capability or you could run the risk of having to not finish match. If it's a major match, that will leave a mark.

We are very fortunate in the CO area to have a very good gunsmith that shoots USPSA with us. He does the bulk of smithing for the majority of shooters in the area.

Like many things the internet has made the reputations of many a gunsmith because they can type, and have a few fans touting their stuff. I have two open pistols by "know gunsmiths" and neither is as good as the pistols I have had built by the "local" guy. That said the local guy has been building guns for more than twenty years, and his guns have won some big matches. Like most people in our sport he is also good people, so when I bring him a problem ( I am a scope mount screw breaker/stripper which happened days before I left for nationals two years in a row) with one of those two pistols he is happy to help. If the local guy has a file and a hammer he's no gunsmith, and they are out there and willing to take you cash. As always ask around, shoot some guns and go with what you feel is right for you.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any top smiths in my area that I would trust my guns with. It would certainly make my life easier, but for now I'll send it off to someone I trust. There are plenty of great smiths that can turn the work around in a reasonable amount of time. Gary at Gans Guns is one that comes to mind immediately.

My mind too! Top notch, and fast turn around time.

My mind too! Top notch, and fast turn around time.

I've had work done over the years by several notable gunsmiths, including Jack Weigand, Wayne Bergquist and last but certainly not the least, Bob Londrigan of Brazos Custom. All have had excellent turnaround time. I agree that you should have some familiarity with any firearm you use competitively, however, I would not venture into machining any frame or slide. That's best left to a true professional, on the other hand, a glock is probably the easiest to take apart and put back together.

• 2 weeks later...