Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weigand Rear Sight

Rather-B-Huntin

I'm looking to change the rear sights on my 625 as the stock sight seems too shallow.

Took a look at the Weigand and it seems as though it would provide the sight picture I'm used to (similar to that of my 1911). But it seems like it may be a bit vulnerable and subject to getting hung up or broken off.

I'd like to hear some of the pros/cons of this sight from current users. And what size front would I need to use with it? I'm assuming a .300"?

Edited by Rather-B-Huntin

I'm looking to change the rear sights on my 625 as the stock sight seems to shallow.

Took a look at the Weigand and it seems as though it would provide the sight picture I'm used to (similar to that of my 1911). But it seems like it may be a bit vulnerable and subject to getting hung up or broken off.

I'd like to hear some of the pros/cons of this sight from current users. And what size front would I need to use with it? I'm assuming a .300"?

Try a search R-B-H, there's been some talk of this sight recently.

Some good, some bad. I have one an it's worked fine on a light load shooting 38,

not sure about a 170 PF gun though.

Good luck !

I liked the sight and it never broke, though I tried hard. They are Aluminum and I even peened mine trying to remove the play, and it still never broke.

It wasn't hard to install but the downside is on some sights, probably most, it has a lot of slop. It never seemed to affect the accuracy or POI but it was a bit disconcerting. It is as expensive as a Millet USE TO BE!

But since Millets aren't being made anymore it may be worth another look.

I have tried the Weigand and the notch is fairly shallow with no room to file it lower. I have a Bowen rough country sight and it is very sturdy. Once you get the windage set with 2 opposing screws on each side the elevation is very easy to adjust. The only drawback is that the notch again is shallow with no room to file it lower. What I have settled on is a .410 Millet rear and .300 SDM front. I think one gun has the .250 front. The .410 blade is high enough with enough room at the bottom to file the notch deeper as well as wider. I'll try and post a picture of the sight picture later tonight. With a deeper and wider notch I find that I can find the front sight faster and it does not seem to hamper the sight picture precision even at longer ranges. As someone stated in another thread your eye centers the front sight no matter how much room is on either side.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a few of them off the INTERNET a few years ago and just realized I have only shot the gun I installed them on once. I guess I'll have to take the gun to the range this weekend. As I recall the price was good and quality looks OK.