Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold custom eric V12 improvement...

chris223

I sent mine to eaa a few weeks ago, for the shaved lug problem. This would be news to me. Do you have any more info or pics? I hope to see mine again soon, but rumor says it will be months.

someone has received his new modified V12 after the problem with shaving lugs ?

Because it seems that it will have now a long slide instead of the short one !

This is great news, when was the gun sent for repair? and how long did it take

to get it back? pictures please...

I heard the longslide rumor circulating around as well. Not sure how accurate it is as it would require a longer dustcover frame, but frankly any answer would be nice at this point.

Long slide is much better than the V12 short slide becuase it shoots flatter.

The V8 model had the longer slide version and that model did not have any problems.

Still waiting for my repair 9months and counting.

The V8 did have that problem. I can show you pictures :rolleyes: . there were just less problem then the V12

and I do prefer to shoot the V8, but the v12 is fun up close.

Leo

Does anyone know what caused the lug problem? Anyone talk to EAA, to get their take on it. I feel in the dark, and with the amount of money I spent, I think I have the right to know. Who else has sent their open guns back to EAA? Do I need to look for another open gun? Or just wait it out?

Long slide is much better than the V12 short slide becuase it shoots flatter.

The V8 model had the longer slide version and that model did not have any problems.

Still waiting for my repair 9months and counting.

I am agree with you.....but, you buy a short open, and after warranty issue, they give you back a long one......Very astonishing !

Does anyone know what caused the lug problem? Anyone talk to EAA, to get their take on it. I feel in the dark, and with the amount of money I spent, I think I have the right to know. Who else has sent their open guns back to EAA? Do I need to look for another open gun? Or just wait it out?

I didn't worry about it. I shoot mine. Sending it back to EAA is paramount to throwing it into a black hole.

Leo

I guess technically EAA is more efficient then a naturally occurring black hole because in theory if you threw your gun into a black hole it still exists somewhere in time and space and there is a chance you might even get data back of its existence, with EAA its just gone. :)

Leo

It is a shitty situation. Apparently something "changed" in the 2008 version of the short-slide V12. The ones that came in 2007 seems to be fine and haven't shown the same lug problem. I have no idea why it's changed and I don't think the factory does either.

EAA is at the mercy of getting the replacement uppers from the factory. It's easy to blame them, but this time I would have to say that they are just trying to get the uppers replaced. I haven't heard from the factory in a quite a while about a solution. Last I talked to them was shot show. There is no doubt they are working on it, but very little information is coming out. Unfortunately I don't have any power to do anything, otherwise I would.

I still shoot my V8's (have two of them, but Leo's sleeping with one of them...) I do prefer the long slide because it's shooting softer than the short slide. For those who really got excited about the short slide it might be a disappointment if their uppers are replaced with long slides. I can see and understand that. From my shooting perspective, I will only continue to use the long slide as long as they keep making them available.

On a note of V12 or V8 from the factory. Eric re-fits all his barrels after he receives them from the factory. This ensures proper unlocking and making sure the barrels last. I've had pretty good luck with my V8's. Some show wear that probably could have been avoided by re-fitting it. I love how the factory barrels shoot (the polygonal barreling kicks ass). But I would and will in all my future open guns have a gunsmith fit the barrel for me. I think it's paramount.

I'm working on an oversized aftermarket 9/38 super threaded bull barrel that will require gunsmith fitting, but also allows for custom comps to be made or existing 1911 comps to be fitted to it. All the current work on this is for long slides. I will probably also offer a titanium comp made for this barrel. As I said, it will require a gunsmith to fit it, but we're trying to set it up so that it's as little gunsmith fitting as possible. If you are using a gunsmith who knows and understands these guns... this is the only way you may have a correctly fitted barrel.

Benefits of installing an aftermarket barrel is that you will have a tighter chamber than the factory. I don't like how the factory chambers their barrels. They work great, but creates fat bellies on the cases. Causing it harder to reload. Also, you can make it whatever porting setup you wish plus fit a comp of your choice. Opens up for more of a custom setup than the factory offers. Fit it with my TiteFit slide pin and you can have a quality and custom open-gun setup with the fast-cycling slide the Tanfoglio guns offer.

Henning,

While you are working on the 9/38 barrels, how about a slide too? I need both to convert my 40...yea, I still have it.

and then I'll need some mags...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I have built a couple of custom 9mm witnesses and it seems that the lugs peen less if the front of the barrel sits up higher

and more parallel to the slide. On a shorter slide the barrel would be at more of a downward angle than on a longer slide.

I gotta agree with Henning on this. I don't see this as an EAA issue at all. They have been very understanding about my rising level of being pissed off at this during my monthly phone calls to them. The factory is keeping them in the dark as much those of us waiting for our guns.

I am not sure if this makes the overall issue better or worse, but certainly my angst is not directed at EAA.

I have built a couple of custom 9mm witnesses and it seems that the lugs peen less if the front of the barrel sits up higher

and more parallel to the slide. On a shorter slide the barrel would be at more of a downward angle than on a longer slide.

That may be the problem, it would certainly explain why they are now fitting the longer slides. Not sure why that would take so long to rectify though. Fitting a new upper should not take months, of course we don't know how many had the problem, there could be hundreds of them world-wide.

No, they would not have to replace the frame. Several people have taken the long frame and trimmed it down to reduce the weight at the end of the gun. Rich (@ Canyon Creek) is trimming mine down a little to make some space for the new compensator.

Frame length:

I experimented on full dustcover, half and short dustcover extensively in 2003. In my opinion the Gold Team was a lot more comfortable with the short dustcover for 38 super open gun. The dot settled quicker more consistent. I will never shoot a long dustcover open gun again based on my personal interpretation of testing back and forth on this.

It's my opinion and if you like the long dustcover (which many do), then don't worry about it. It's not a huge, easy difference to quickly say one is better than the other. I thought half-length would be the shit, but had to accept that I shot better and liked the gun better after I cut it back to short again. Long dustcover (back then) was supposed to be the latest and greatest. All open guns was initially supplied as short dustcover models. Then somebody (I think Johan Hansen in Sweden) loved the long dustcovers and the factory jumped on it.

My main, favorite open gun (frame) is from 1998 and I still use it. It's been upgraded to the V8 porting, but with opened ports in the 3 port comp. Right now it's over at Rich to install an aftermarket barrel and put a titanium comp on it. I want the comp lighter and a tighter chamber so that brass doesn't get so beat up.

NEWS - NEWS - NEWS

Just got an email from the factory and here is what they say:

"We have completed our tests and we are producing barrels, comp and slides for delivering them to all our Distributors that have recently sold the Gold Custom Eric. We need a couple of weeks more because we have just receive the barrels while the comps will arrive at the end of next week."

Which model and configuration I don't know... but hey.. you're getting something new.

I'm crossing my fingers for long slides so we can retire the whole short-slide idea. Which also means my long slide aftermarket barrels will be a possibility for all new open Tanfo guns. Otherwise I'll have to make a short bull barrel and I really, really don't want to do that. If I'd loved the shorty's I would have felt different about it. To me, they are a little too snappy. But.. great for steel. I do have a small frame Gold Eric 9mm V12.. he he he he he. And it'll be my steel gun.

Frame length:

I experimented on full dustcover, half and short dustcover extensively in 2003. In my opinion the Gold Team was a lot more comfortable with the short dustcover for 38 super open gun. The dot settled quicker more consistent. I will never shoot a long dustcover open gun again based on my personal interpretation of testing back and forth on this.

It's my opinion and if you like the long dustcover (which many do), then don't worry about it. It's not a huge, easy difference to quickly say one is better than the other. I thought half-length would be the shit, but had to accept that I shot better and liked the gun better after I cut it back to short again. Long dustcover (back then) was supposed to be the latest and greatest. All open guns was initially supplied as short dustcover models. Then somebody (I think Johan Hansen in Sweden) loved the long dustcovers and the factory jumped on it.

My main, favorite open gun (frame) is from 1998 and I still use it. It's been upgraded to the V8 porting, but with opened ports in the 3 port comp. Right now it's over at Rich to install an aftermarket barrel and put a titanium comp on it. I want the comp lighter and a tighter chamber so that brass doesn't get so beat up.

NEWS - NEWS - NEWS

Just got an email from the factory and here is what they say:

"We have completed our tests and we are producing barrels, comp and slides for delivering them to all our Distributors that have recently sold the Gold Custom Eric. We need a couple of weeks more because we have just receive the barrels while the comps will arrive at the end of next week."

Which model and configuration I don't know... but hey.. you're getting something new.

I'm crossing my fingers for long slides so we can retire the whole short-slide idea. Which also means my long slide aftermarket barrels will be a possibility for all new open Tanfo guns. Otherwise I'll have to make a short bull barrel and I really, really don't want to do that. If I'd loved the shorty's I would have felt different about it. To me, they are a little too snappy. But.. great for steel. I do have a small frame Gold Eric 9mm V12.. he he he he he. And it'll be my steel gun.

thats nice to hear. what about for older V8's that have the same problem? will they be fixing those?

thats nice to hear. what about for older V8's that have the same problem? will they be fixing those?

Oh fine, now that there is a fix it is a problem for you..... :roflol:

Hey ill shoot till it dies before letting it sit on someone shelves waiting for parts. I am not too worried I have a backup V8 and a bad lockup V12 :) and another one I had Rich put a comp on...now I just need more time to shoot laugh

leo

Edited by LeoHallak