Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is the longest length past muzzle for mag tube before getting stu

lvjeffro

I just picked up a mossberg 930SPX w/ 18.5" barrel and want to try and get the cap up to 8+1 w/ a hi vis follower from S&J hardware or nordic...

the nordic +2 and extended cap w/ hi vis would be 7+1 and would NOT stick out past the barrel, in fact it is about an 1/8" before it...

the nordic +3 and extended cap w/ hi vis would be 8+1 and stick out past the barrel just under 2 1/2"

I also thought about getting it up to 9+1;

the nordic +4 and extended cap would be 9+1 and stick out past the barrel 5"

Let me here what you pros think about this...I am a complete noobie when it comes to shotguns and 3 gun and just getting into the sport...

Also, when cutting the spring 16" longer then total tube length, is there anything special you need to do to the cut end? or just cut off and install???

TIA

Edited by lvjeffro

Ivjeffro,

My guess is you want to shoot tactical or at least anything other than open so...

I would go with the Nordic +3 and stick with the 8 in the tube and one in the chamber. This will get you past 78% if all matches and should serve you well. I have seen open magazines in an 1100 go well beyond 5 inches but I just wouldn't do it just because I can. Also since you shooting a short barreled gun why give up the advantage of the short platform?

My .02...

Hope this is the advise you are looking for...

RLTW,

Scott

Yes I am going to be shooting the tactical division...

Thats what I had figured but from my understanding the more rounds the better in shotgun class so figured I had better ask before I bought so I didn't short change myself...

The +3 and the extended cap is what I will grab then, and thanks for the advice much appreciated...

lvjeffro,

No worries and please ask away...no harm. Like Rich/USCBIGDAWG asked, sometimes we need more information to give informed advise.

Be advised...I am not a PRO in any sense of the imagination!

Welcome to the BE Forums!

RLTW,

Scott

I appreciate it busyhawk, I have one last question re: this topic

Is the one extra shell worth the overhang on this shotgun or would it be better for me to just stay 7+1 and not have any overhang past the muzzle? Will that 1 extra shell bennefit me that much?

I agree with jbullgpd! Anytime you can save even a one shell reload you are better off! Money and time well spent for sure.

RLTW,

Scott

. I've said it before, I've got the Nordic extention tube. My frenchi holds 15! I've shot it many times, no problems

There are still some outlaw matches that allow the gun to only hold 8+1 I think although I think most are getting away from that at some point I think your at a point of diminishing returns on portability vs how much ammo it can hold.

You can cut the spring with just about any good wire cutter, end nipper, diagonal cutter, etc. Grind wheel can work too, or dremel tool. IF your wife, GF, whatever has a REALLY good pair of utility scissors that could work to......JUST don't let them know you are cutting a heat treated hardened wire.....and deny everything when they confront you with a dented blade in the scissors.

After you cut the spring...a neat trick is to bend the end of the wire in towards the center and down a little bit, so it doesnt hang up on the end of the tube when you screw it down.

I personally would go with a +3, if it gives you 9+1, plug it for the matches that only allow 8+1. You'll never hit the tube with shot unless take it off and shoot at it or your buddy shoots it with his shotgun.....then you really need NEW friends!!!

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

A lot depends on the rules of the matches you will attend. If you are shooting under USPSA rules, you are never allowed more than 8+1 in Tactical so a longer tube gives no benefit. In many outlaw matches, though, you must START with 8+1, but after that you can stuff extra rounds in, and this can be a significant advantage in many stages. As I shoot mostly outlaw matches, I would favor a 9+1 capacity at least (actually, I run a 10+1 :D ). Oh, and you won't shoot the end off, so don't worry about that.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Before USPSA changed the Open class rules, you could run any length tube. I've seen 14 to 16 round tubes. No issue with function. Getting under a low table could be problematic. Back to the OP question, running 8 +1 will satisfy almost all match rules for Tactical Optic or Standard rules. Before I bought a new barrel I ran 8 +1 in an 18" Benelli with no problems.