Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Shoot Targets In The Back

GordonB

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will share a story with you that goes along with Jim Normans earlier post. I will try to keep this short.

Shooting indoors at our monthly IPSC match. This is your typical indoor range only it has a lobby area directly behind the shooting lanes where spectators can watch the action on the range behind BULLETPROOF GLASS. The one course of fire was a suprise stage(this was not a sanctioned USPSA match), and it was a dark house type stage where the lights were low, you could still see but you were required to use a flashlight. The RO for the course of fire was a very experienced RO with a lot of nationals experience. A new shooter comes to the line, gets his instructions, and they start the course of fire, you here the usual shots and then he stops shooting for a couple of seconds. Then he starts shooting again, only this time the bullets are hitting the BULLETPROOF GLASS, the new shooter got turned around in the dark, saw the back side of some no-shoots, and fired on them, now firing up-range toward the people. not only were there people behind the glass, but the rest of the squad was behind the shooting tables. He fired two shots up range, the RO started screaming, and we all went running for our lives. Nobody got hurt, we were lucky.

Yeesh!!

I assume the shooter got DQ'd, and I hope a lesson was learned, especially by the course designer.

We have a safety committee of experienced shooters (generally THE most experienced shooters) walk the stages with each CRO immediately before our club matches. Any potential problem is fixed on the spot, and is not subject to argument (although, I can say, from personal experience, that it can be exasperating to be told to fix something I thought in pretty good form as is). As best I can recall, we have, as a result, a very low rate of musculoskeletal injuries on our ranges, a zero rate of gunfire related injuries (save for rare steel target back spatter tags), and no DQ's from 180 traps. Patently unsafe COF designs die an early, prematch death.