Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Excessive Bullet Crimp

wellerjohn

So Fedex shows up today with a brand new Dillon 650 and all the accessories for it. :roflol: I watched the video about adjusting the bullet seating die, must have miss understood :unsure: I had the seating die body adjusted to low and it over crimped the rounds enough so that the Montana Gold JHP have a serious grooved indentation around them (I removed one too see). After see my error I readjusted it and everything works great now. Question is would they be safe to shoot? Using 4.7 grains of Win231, with 180 grain MG bullet, seated to 1.125. Playing with the press I loaded about 200 of them before I realized it :angry2:

Thanks in advance

Edited by wellerjohn

I can't see any reason they wouldn't be safe to shoot. Just don't expect much in the way of long range accuracy. I'd limit my shooting with these rounds to short range. OTOH, you might try benching these loads, just so you'll have real experience with the fact that, yes, excessive crimp can indeed result in horrible accuracy. :lol:

That much overcrimp could cause an increase in pressure, best not to shoot those.

No it won't. when the primer goes off, any crimping around the bullet with be met with so much force that its effect will be nil. its just a thin layer of brass!

+1 on what Duane said.

jj

So Fedex shows up today with a brand new Dillon 650 and all the accessories for it. :roflol: I watched the video about adjusting the bullet seating die, must have miss understood :unsure: I had the seating die body adjusted to low and it over crimped the rounds enough so that the Montana Gold JHP have a serious grooved indentation around them (I removed one too see). After see my error I readjusted it and everything works great now. Question is would they be safe to shoot? Using 4.7 grains of Win231, with 180 grain MG bullet, seated to 1.125. Playing with the press I loaded about 200 of them before I realized it :angry2:

Thanks in advance

Did you measure the crimp? If so what is the measurement?

I crimp mine to .417-.418.

BK

I learned a lesson by overcrimping some 38 supers. I know that round is running hot anyway ( old 175 pf), but when I started piercing primers, and my extractor was blowing back off the brass, and leaving the case in the chamber, I had to figure out what I was doing. Pulling bullets and weighing powder showed everything as being normal. With more searching, I found out how tight the crimps were. When I backed off the crimp just a hair, everything returned to normal. When a crimp is too tight, it is the pressure spike that happens in a split second that will get you in trouble. It isn't that the load is too hot, it is the quick spike. If you try to shoot these loads, just shoot one or two and check your brass carefully. If all is ok, try a few more. If all is well then shoot the rest, just be careful when you try the first few!!

BK

Hmmm. That seems tight compared to mine. I wonder if mine are too light. I just remove the bell to about .421ish.

:cheers:

I am loading 2.8 Grs of Clays, 180 RNFP Lead bullet cast out of WW in a Magma mold, sized .401 WSP primers and I HAVE to crimp my rounds to .417-.418 to get them to seat in my G35 with a Storm Lake barrel. Any less crimp willl not allow the slide to go fully forward.

From what I've read in reloading manuals, over crimp on cartridges that head spaces on the case mouth like the 40 S&W and 9mm Para can cause over pressure if the crimp is tight enough so the round no longer head spaces against the case mouth. The over crimped round gets inserted deeper into the chamber and the bullet can become pinched by the case and chamber throat. Excessive pressures can develop if the round fires. If the round is still head spacing at the case mouth, the higher pressure caused by the tighter crimp should not be a problem unless the load was already at the limit. Deformation from excessive crimp may cause the bullet to tumble with certain calibers.

From what I've read in reloading manuals, over crimp on cartridges that head spaces on the case mouth like the 40 S&W and 9mm Para can cause over pressure if the crimp is tight enough so the round no longer head spaces against the case mouth. The over crimped round gets inserted deeper into the chamber and the bullet can become pinched by the case and chamber throat. Excessive pressures can develop if the round fires. If the round is still head spacing at the case mouth, the higher pressure caused by the tighter crimp should not be a problem unless the load was already at the limit. Deformation from excessive crimp may cause the bullet to tumble with certain calibers.
Do any of these pistol rounds actually head space on the case mouth? As opposed to theoretically? Because it looks to me like they all are stopped by the extractor and/or the hood before the case mouth does anything.

Do any of these pistol rounds actually head space on the case mouth? As opposed to theoretically? Because it looks to me like they all are stopped by the extractor and/or the hood before the case mouth does anything.

I removed the barrel on my xd40 and inserted one of the over crimped cartridges, and it head spaces properly compared to a factory load. Should get a chance this week to fire a couple of rounds. Thanks for all the replies.

I don't believe that one can determine head space by dropping rounds into a removed barrel. I believe what you found was that they both dropped into the chamber in an apprently equal manner, which is not the same thing as headspacing between the case head and the breech face.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

I don't believe that one can determine head space by dropping rounds into a removed barrel. I believe what you found was that they both dropped into the chamber in an apprently equal manner, which is not the same thing as headspacing between the case head and the breech face.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Seems like if the round was not head spacing of the case head, then it would set farther into the barrel especially if the bullet is touching the lands, given the same OAL.

Edited by wellerjohn

• 2 weeks later...