Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass polish?

Pat Miles

Do you find that adding the liquid car wax/polish to the tumbler actually acts almost like using case lube? Some of my brass was tumbled with a bit of turtle wax or with turtle wax and mineral spirits. I didn't keep any of the different tumbling method batches separate...but I've found some of my brass is resizing much easier than others.

Do you find that adding the liquid car wax/polish to the tumbler actually acts almost like using case lube? Some of my brass was tumbled with a bit of turtle wax or with turtle wax and mineral spirits. I didn't keep any of the different tumbling method batches separate...but I've found some of my brass is resizing much easier than others.

Didn't notice any difference (I use one shot for lube).

Kendall

I'm guessing those of you adding mineral spirits to your tumblers don't have Lyman autoflow's. I won't be doing that anymore. I see Lyman sells replacement parts via their web site. New autoflow plugs are $1 + $4 shipping. I wonder if anyone else stocks them and has either more reasonable shipping charges or sells something else...or maybe I'll just order some more plugs when I get around to ordering their case trimmer and other stuff I'll need when I start prepping my 5.56mm brass. Their primer pocket reamer is an awful lot cheaper than a Super Swage 600. If I plan to process my own brass once, and then reuse it as many times as possible, is their tool worth trying rather than shelling out the $ for the SS600...or will I end up buying it eventually?

I was tumbling a batch of 9mm yesterday, and when it finished, I noticed the autoflow plug was really deteriorating...I'm guessing because it didn't like mineral spirits. Another odd thing...I guess I may have added a little too much turtle wax and spirits to this batch...some of the brass has gummed up walnut stuck inside it. I've been cleaning those out with a bore brush, and what's really odd is that in a mixed batch of Win, NPA, IMI, S&B, and a few others, the only ones that have had any media stuck to the insides have been the IMI cases. I wonder what about their brass or primer/powder chemicals made them more prone to this than the rest?

I use the Cabela's polish. Best I've found not to deposit itself inside my tumbler. The Frankford Arsenal stuff with orange works good on the brass but leaves desposits that are a pain to clean out of the tumbler. Pretty much have to scrap it off with a screw driver. Not fun.

I'm going to try the Nu Finish based on what everyone has recommended.

Finally made it to Wally World and bought a bottle of Nu Finish. WOW! Used abot two capfuls and let it run for about an hour. Pimped out my brass! :surprise: Bling bling! Sure is nice to find something that works very well, doesn't cost a lot and makes life a little easier.

CYa,

Pat

Been using Meguiars' cleaner wax for years. Smells good, cheep.

For a little extra abrasiive action try the higher line fine scratch remover, but you might have to go to the auto parts store for that. . .

Nu finish has a great lasting coating, but litttle or no buffered abrasive. If you want fast cutting action the Meguiares line has the buffered abrasive.

(Safe for the clear coat , dont cha know. . .)

I've also used a bluish powder from Champion Reloading Supplies called Ultra-60. This product leaves much dust to be removed prior to the big dump in the 650 case feeder. However, the cleaning action is quick! This stuff will clean dirty range pick up brass asap!

The car waxes cut down on dust. . but after you squirt a little on the media, close the top and let in run a little to distribute the goo so you wont have a case with a clump of gunk in it.

Been uising the car wax stuff for over 10 years with no problem. . .

my .2