Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want An Svi 2011... Hydracomp? Yes Or No??

PistolPete

PistolPete-

Since you're in MA, you might want to double check exactly which guns/models you can even buy.

I'm in CA, and I know that there are only 2 SVI guns that I can buy new. A single stack and a double stack both with a short dust cover.

I called the gunshop that was listed on SV's site and he assured me that all their guns were legal for sale in this state. He even gave me a name and number of a shooter sponsored by SVI who lives in this state. I called and left a message so I'm just waiting for a response.

As for the ghost sights I will buy that gun with BoMars and a fiber optic front. If I have to get it with the ghost sights I'll just swap them out.

Pete

Hopefully, I'll be able to ship this gun to my local dealer. If they won't accept it I'll ship it to the dealer stated on SV's website. It is about a 2 hour drive from here but if that is what I need to do then thats what I'll do.

Today at an IPSC match I talked to someone who is sponsored by SVI. He actually reserved a frame for me which they will ship out to me so I can have it registered in this crappy state then I will ship it back and they will build the gun I want. Pretty sad we have to run around and operate in this manner but you do what you gotta do. I'm glad he helped me out. He is in really big with them as he does all their web-related work etc. and they assured him they would have the gun built for me within 6-8 weeks. Much better than 4-5 months.

Pete

He is totally pulling strings for me. He is a big shot as he is their webbuilder and he is the one doing all the preentries to the Infinity Open along with all the scoring etc. He has a lot of weight within the company. They assured him they would build my pistol in 6-8 weeks as oppossed to the 4-5 months they quoted for me. He also said he would call them weekly to ensure they produce my pistol.

Pete

When I was looking at SV one of there shooters told me the same thing. He had order some other people some guns at the same time and he later told me that they got there's in about 6 weeks. I think most were a standard type gun no extras. Tri cut slides and other extras would add a few more weeks. Good luck on your gun and hope you get it really soon.

• 4 weeks later...

And in response to the question someone asked about "WHY HYBRID CUT" it's not about recoil, it's about the front sight NOT MOVING.

I shot a hybrid .45 Para a few years back, and THE FIRST thing I noticed was not the lack of recoil, but how easy it was to watch the front sight right through the recoil arc.

You can do lots to weight the gun how you like it, but if this set up becomes legal it will be THE way to play for the non-moving front sight feature.

I think Jeff Cramblit tried to fly it back about ten years ago, but no dice, USPSA calls it a recoil limiting device.

The Briley "modular" with the little aluminum block holding the bushing did much the same thing. Made of ALuminum it did nothing for reocil control, but the front site just sat there. Again USPSA rules "recoil elimination".

Kind of a dumb way to back into barring something, but so long as it is applied consistently....

Not to add negativity, but good luck to you on that 6-8 weeks number. I have a good friend on the SV team, and have dealt personally with Sandy at the shop in person.... they do GREAT work, but are NOT fast.

I think you hit the nail on the head - if someone INSIDE the machine shop is your connection, or on the SV team and VERY well liked, you can work done quickly. Otherwise, forget it, count on 6 months plus.

I had 2 or 3 people pulling for me on just a frame kit order, and still had to wait over 6 months. (just to get the frame - not building a gun!)

Great products, but absolutely no sense of urgency. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to reconsider your barrel choice, you are gaining nothing by going with this barrel. If its the extra weight you want heavy frames, magwells, and guiderods will give you plenty and are easy to lighten as you speed up your transitions.

Stainless is not the best option ether, most limited guns you see that are silver are actually hard chrome over steel. Stainless steel is inferior in almost all respects to ferrous steel in respect to gunparts.

With hardchrome you can build the gun you want then have it hardchromed after your done and it works. Hardcrome on the rails will last almost forever and not gall like stainless.