Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 prolbems with 38 Super Comp

I've ran a search here and found several threads related to my problems, but no anwsers..so...

I've just started loading 38 SC on my 650.....I using new Dillon dies, #3 pins, #3 shellplate and #3 1 station locator...Brass is new Starline 38 SC, and 124 MJ bullets...

My problem:

#1 station...The damn brass keeps tipping out just enough that most of the time it will not go into the die without reaching around with my figure and bumping it back just a little..it then goes in...I've been on the phone with Dillon several times..Replace the a bunch of parts...If I go SLOW and Easy, about half the time, things line up right...but I can forget about being able to load 500 per hour...at this rate, a couple hundred will be goood... I did back the sizing die off just a little, rasie the plate with a case inserting it into the die sizing it, and then stop at the top of the stroke..I then tight the lock nuts down to insure tha the die, and plate is lined up...This help a little, but not much...

I read somewhere on here that it might be a toolhead that is not square...the toolhead is new..i hate to pull everything apart, and have to reset everything, but may have to worst case..anyone had this prolbem of finding an out of square toolhead?

I'm open to suggestion, and if you got a fix that works...you need to patent it!!!! Please help me out..

Jim

I've got the same setup except I use a Lee Undersize in station one. The LEE die opening is a little smaller than the Dillion and every once in a while I will have to realign the empty case as it jams.

I was able to reduce the misalignment by setting the bullet in the case and exerting pressure on the bullet to keep tension on the shellplate until the seating die just touches my finger. I might have one in hundred not aligned correctly now. I can go as fast as I can grab and set a bullet.

Case lube is a must! Hope it helps some.

Is the problem that the brass is not fully inserted into the shellplate and therefore doesn't enter the sizer die? I've had this problem on my 650 when powder and dirt get caked into the grooves on the shellplate. You might try cleaning those grooves out with a toothpick or stiff bristle brush.

Thomas

Per the XL 650 Conversion Chart, you should be using:

#5 Shellplate (for 38 Super)

#5 Station 1 Locator Pin

#3 Locator Pins

That said, for 223 (i.e. 38 Supercomp) you'd use the #3's as you'd stated.

So...given all that, why not try some #4's or a #5 to see if that fixes it. :D

Rich

ETA: On the Station 1 Locator only. FWIW, I'd check the shellplate and all the index parts (the spring thing under the center bolt and the screw in the ram).

Edited by uscbigdawg