Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight screw

SecretNY

Hi guys, I run a 10-8 Performance front and rear in the .125 width on my G17. I'm interested in swapping to the .140 width, but encountered a problem with my rear sight. The gunsmith at the time looks like they used red loctite on the sight. I cannot get the screw out using my 1/16 allen key. Anyone have any ideas (the gunsmith has since moved...)?

Thanks!

Ditto to what the others have said: "Heat is the answer".

But, a trick that will help you put the heat exactly where needed is to insert a spare Allen wrench into the screw & heat the heck out of the wrench. The heat will flow thru the wrench into the screw itself, keeping you from putting too much heat into the sight body itself.

This trick will keep you from burning out fiber optics, painted on white dots, tritium inserts, etc.

So I used a heat gun to heat the screw, but the thread was soooo stripped. I then used a 1/16 drill bit to cut the screw and used a sight pusher to get the sight off!

I'm pissed but happy to put the new sights on.

Hello: Blue Loctite is your friend. Red is the devil since it is red :roflol: Thanks, Eric

You say that because you haven't yet had the joy of trying to remove GREEN Loctite!!

The Devil must be from Mars because the dude is green... :roflol: