Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 bmg reloders

tfelog

I also use the the Lee Pres. I am a little lazy so for the money I just got two of them and leave them, both set up just for 50BMG. However I am eying the new Dillon one I seen pics of. If it is like the rest of their equipment I am sure it will be good to go!

Bought the Lee kit... Not sure it was the best choice. It works ok, but I would have liked something a bit more substantial. A bit more leverage would also have been nice (particularly when re-sizing brass that was shot out of a machine gun to go in my bolt action rifle).

One thing that I did buy that I have been very happy with is a Giraud trimmer. I decided to get it when I started back reloading rifle ammo to cut down on some of the irritation of brass prep. It trims a .50 case about as easy as it does a .223 case which is no small feat.

I know one .50 reloader who has the RCBS kit and seems happy with it.

I saw a post here from the shot show about Dillon possibly making a .50 press that looked alot like a 550 on steroids. I'd be interested in that if it came to pass.

YMMV

Peter Adams

FY-39604

• 2 weeks later...

When I researched all i could a few years back, the Lee Kit rated very high. RCBS was having issues with the QC of their dies and loaded rounds had lots of runout, the RCBS press is nice, but the Hornady was the same thing in a different color and less money. Hornady dies were not much better than RCBS. The Hot ticket then was CH4D dies in a Hornady press, but when you add the dies up at 200+ each, it was very easy to get 1200 into just basic reloading components. A few guys that were high volume shooters had purchased the Lee Kits in addition to the other stuff they already had and reported less bullet runout than even the CH4D on a regular basis. The downside to Lee is of course the small opening in the press, but you get used to it quickly. their is a couple of reviews of the Lee that "competitor" made up and posted over on biggerhammer.net, he also figured out all the little tricks to using the press easy and efficient, he loaded several thousand rounds without breaking anything. I bought my Lee kit and have been very happy with it. if I weight sort my LC Brass after match prepping it, then weight sort the pull down and resized AP bullets, I get 3/4" groups at 100 yards using pulldown 5010 surplus powder through my EDM. The idea of a progressive reloader for the BMG sounds exciting, I think there is too much case work involved for me to appreciate it and im sure it comes with a hefty pricetag. I have a dillon 650, so yes I drink the blue koolaid and am a big supporter of Dillon, but If I had to do it over again, I would go the same route.

for small case tools, K&M tools are 1st class. The couple that make them are great people if you have not done business with them. When I called in my order, they wouldnt take a credit card and just mailed out the tools to me with instructions that once I got them, If I liked them, then send them a check. It was a little scary at 1st, but it was refreshing to see people that are not jaded by our current society and still believe in the honor system.

Went to dillons booth and got a pis of there new 50BMG press.

Dont know how many others are happy they are making one but i sure am.

The guy in the pic is who I talked to and it looks to be march for a release date.

The blue post is an option to get with the press to lag to your floor.

The powder tube holds 2lbs and there is an option to get second longer tube that will hold 3 lbs or around 100 rounds worth of powder.

It works like a 550 with a manual turning shell plate.

If I heard and remember right they are also gonna make a shell plate for the 408 and 416 in the future.

You can get multipul tool heads cuz they have a trimmer motor option for the 50 just like the smaller motor.

dillon50gf6.th.jpg

dillon502tn2.th.jpg

Edited by Holliday89

• 3 months later...

The Lee setup works very well and given the price of the press with dies included it would be hard to beat. The only drawback is that it will not accept others dies due to the thread pattern. It does come with an adapter for use with smaller standard dies. Lee also produces custom dies at a resonable cost and I have a set made from my Windrunner chamber in .50 DTC. Certainly not the best but a good value.

I just got my new Dillon 550B and am very impressed with the quality. I would love to see Dillons .50 caliber press but the pictures in the post above are gone and I cant find it on Dillons website. If it is anything like the 550B I just got it should be a real winner. Starting to see things in a new blue light.

I run the Lee kit. For the price it is hard to beat. I also load my 300WM precision loads on the press. It does a great job for what it is.

For what 50bmg loaded rounds are going for, there is some money to be saved in reloading. I got some 690gr So. African bullets from wideners, and I got some new surplus 50 powder from Pats. Both were pretty reasonable considering. I have not loaded any of the surplus powder yet, but if nothing else it will be good for plinking.

Randy