Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 Hornady FMJ/RN in 9x19 w/Titegroup?

revchuck

Folks - I bought 1k of these, originally to use for an article I was going to write (and still may), but didn't realize how much of a time-eater starting a new job and looking for somewhere to live would be. :(

I'm looking for a load that'll make a 130 PF from a 4" barrel (SIG P6 and M&P); I'll let the PF fall where it may with the longer barrels.

Hornady lists 1.165" as the OAL, but no data for fast powders. Hodgdon lists 3.2 - 3.6 grains of TG as the min/max loads, using the Hornady XTP loaded to 1.10" OAL. I did a search and didn't find data for this bullet and this powder, but it sounds like 3.5 grains of TG makes minor with other FMJs. I'm planning on using a 1.15 - 1.16" OAL.

I'd normally work up in increments and chrono this, but I've let my range membership lapse at the place I formerly belonged, and I'm only home for a day and a half per week, every other week, due to the relocation and work. I'm taking off a couple of days for Mardi Gras :) and need to be able to bang out this ammo during that time.

TIA!

This may help. Tested it again this weekend:

Keep in mind that this was a fast / long Glock 34's stock barrel. 3.4 would be what I'd recommend to ensure that you're going to make PF with a 4" that has conventional rifling.

147 Precision Delta FMJ

3.2 titegroup

1.130 - 1.135" OAL

Wolf SP Primer

Avg = 874

PF =128

I chrono'd 1.120, 1.130, and 1.155 with the exact same setting on my 650's powder measure once. (3.2gr). There was 10 FPS difference between the longest and shortest. Find what your gun feeds, and is accurate with. Somewhere around 1.125-1.130 is a good all-around length for 9mm. OAL really doesn't have much effect on velocity with a low-volume load like this - as long as you're not going from super-short to crazy-long.

Edited by MemphisMechanic