Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is slicing the pie?

yuthh

I am trying to shoot IDPA but don't understand all the english, what is the slicing the pie?

If you are engaging targets from around cover, you engage the first target that becomes visible - the outer-most one - then move incrementally inward, in "slices", for the remaining targets. You can also express it as engaging right-to-left if you are shooting around the right side of cover, and left-to-right from around the left of cover.

The assumption is that if you are using proper cover, you will be able to see only one target at a time, so you must reposition your body to see the next one, and this series of movements, increases your view downrange in "slices" of a circle as you increase your view by degrees.

Edited by RickB

"Slicing the pie" is police academy terminology used to explain a Course of Fire to people who cannot remember what Tactical Priority means.

The same approach is usually necessary in spelling out "1-1-2-1-1" for the common situation of three targets to be shot twice each in Tactical Sequence.

And similarly, you seldom hear a CoF described as Vickers Count, it is explained as "not limited."

Rant over, we now return you to our regularly scheduled posting.

Edited by Jim Watson

I am trying to shoot IDPA but don't understand all the english, what is the slicing the pie?

If it's your turn to shoot, and the RO says something you do not understand. You must tell him/her. There are NO stupid questions.

Stay Safe,

A.T.

+1 TO what Jim said...

i believe the shooter should know the terminolgy used in the sport...

last year at a state match,they used the term "barricade order",that seemed to confuse all the out of town shooters, till we all caught on..i asked the SO why they worded it that way and he said local shooters didnt want to use or under stand any thing with the word "tactical "in it...

most of the wording comes from in the writing of the COF..ie:tactical priority sounds better then "shootem as you see them"[from cover] or "shootem near to far"...tactical sequence sounds better in a COF then,"shootem all one time then start over and shootem again one more time..

then throw in the "tactical priority and sequence,and watch them all scratch their head...of course..all of this should have been covered in the 8 hr "new shooter" class held at each range...right???? :cheers:

More and more local IDPA stages I'm seeing are "Shootem as you seeum...using IDPA rules of engagement. Which I think is great. It puts the responsibility of learning the game more in the shooters hands vs being spoon fed "tactical techniques."