Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA tactical Rifle .22 classifier

maineshootah

Ran our first .22 tactical rifle IDPA classifier today on the indoor range of our club.

Went real well, and everyone said they wanted to do it again.

Break down, 99% ARs with .22 conversion kits and Black Dog Machine mags and 1 (one) 1022.

Shot the exact same strings and stages as the IDPA classifier, however, all mags were topped off to 10 or 30 rounds (depending on capacity). Divisions, Irons / optics / lasers

Strong hand only strings were shot "drop to kneeling at the buzzer"

Weak hand only strings were shot weak shoulder. (That was an eye opener for some shooters)

Reload stages were shot with a reload, just without the slide lock issue.

In stage 1, it totally broke down to transitions and who could reload the fastest. Just as I thought it would.

Stage 2 and Stage 3 where shot with the USPSA 1/3 mini targets (the dry fire targets).

THAT was an eye opener for a great deal, having to shoot them on the move forward and backwards.

All in all, a great match with $6 bucks of the "expensive .22 ammo" in a variety of shooting positions, with the shooters earning a "classification" afterwards, even if it only applies to our club. :cheers:

The guys can't wait to do it again.

Edited by maineshootah

That sounds like a good start to a really nice idea for "just have fun" matches.... With the cost of ammo what it is I can see a lot pf people wanting to play in that game.

So, what was the most dependable AR conversion at the match?

We had about a dozen CMMGs, a few Ceiners, and the fellow who shot the 10-22.

My CMMG was really the only problematic conversion.

It has ran like a TOP for 750 rounds... then I CLEANED it... :roflol:

Now it gets strange ejection, or does not extract at all.

(Yes, I changed the extractor .... twice!)

We were running an IDPA classifier anyway... we figured, why not bring out the ARs and get some trigger time / transitions / and strange position shooting. Good time.

• 1 year later...

Probably did this with .22s because the backstop on the indoor range couldn't take hits from rifle ammo.

I recently read (in "Front Sight"?) that IPSC in Europe is developing a .22 class.

Years ago (about 1984?) , we had a couple of .22 handgun side shoots at the IPSC club I used to belong to. We only scored hits in the A zone. We did this in the winter, when brass recovery in the snow or mud was a problem. Only a few shooters consistantly competed -- either using M1911 type pistols with conversion units, Ruger Automatics, or different kinds of .22 revolvers. We only did it a few times and then gave up on it.

With the cost of ammo these days, and the fact that it's often hard to find, I wonder if .22 cal competition as an option might reappear.

I have also read several articles over the years about clubs doing matches with pistol caliber carbines as opposed to "real" rifles. This is also something that would work on an indoor range limited to pistol calibers.

• 2 weeks later...

Would have been fun watching right eye dominant shooters shooting from their weak shoulder and left eye dominant shooters doing the same. How many of them tried to crawl over the stock with their faces trying to get their dominant eye behind the sights? :surprise:

Cya,

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

We have a wed. night practice match that is a blend of IDPA and USPSA that has recently incorporated .22 rifles instead of shotguns like we used to use. It's got to be one of the most fun matches around here, too bad it doesn't count for anything.

We were running our regular classifer this last sunday and as the MD/SO.....well I shot it with my .22 M&P dedicated rifle......and it was a blast.

Weak hand only stage: done weak hand only on weak shoulder. (as if shot in strong shoulder and could not use)

Strong hand only stage: done strong hand only on strong shoulder (as if shot in weak shoulder and could not use)

Mini-El Prez and El-Prez: safe way- placed small table at line with rifle on it facing down range. Shooter takes couple of steps up range and with back to threats (and gun). At buzzer, turn, retrieve weapon and engage. Reloads from belt (is the way we did it)

Everything else, same as printed.

I had a ball and plan on making this a regular at our club.

Garry N