Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers missing the cup

I guess a lot of people have this problem but I get a lot of primers missing the cup in my 650 when I deprime. What are some quick & easy solutions for this and does anyone have any photos of their solved primer cup problem? Thanks!

Edited by jasmap

I guess a lot of people have this problem but I get a lot of primers missing the cup when I deprime. What are some quick & easy solutions for this and does anyone have any photos of their solved primer cup problem? Thanks!

Er... Which machine?

On a 650, cut a .223 case off at the shoulder, then cut the bottom off at the length of a 9mm case. Tapped into the hole where primers come out, it'll stick down into the cup enough that I rarely get a rogue primer any more. (You'll have to bend the cup down at the front to slide it on & off, but it works very well.

stick a length of rubber surgical tubing, or similar, on the cut 223 case, and run it into an platic bottle. cut the lid of the bottle in an "X" pattern like the top of a McDonalds pop cup lid, slide the hose through that, and just watch for it to fill up. I have mine sitting under my bench about 3 ft from my press.

I have found that a small binder clip (spring steel paper clip from office depot) works fine. It seems that the problem arises when the primer cup moves during loading. I just push the primer cup all the way on and put the binder clip on the side and it holds it in place. Almost "O" primers get out of the cup.

I also use the small binder clip on the end of the "primer ramp". That is where the primer wheel dumps the unused primers. I had a problem with them coming down the chute and hitting the floor. I put the binder clip on the end and folded the arms out of the way and it was ready to go.

Ten cent fix.

Buddy

• 4 weeks later...
I have found that a small binder clip (spring steel paper clip from office depot) works fine. It seems that the problem arises when the primer cup moves during loading. I just push the primer cup all the way on and put the binder clip on the side and it holds it in place. Almost "O" primers get out of the cup.

I also use the small binder clip on the end of the "primer ramp". That is where the primer wheel dumps the unused primers. I had a problem with them coming down the chute and hitting the floor. I put the binder clip on the end and folded the arms out of the way and it was ready to go.

Ten cent fix.

Buddy

Nice....thanks for the tips.