Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice IDPA Classifier

rrflyer

The scoring system is simplicity itself. I'm confused that you could be shooting IDPA for a year, yet you don't understand the scoring system? If you are using approved targets, there are scoring zone perfs, and their point values, right on the target. If the round is in the "-1" zone, you add a half-second to your elapsed time. If the round falls in the "-3" zone, you add 1.5 seconds. "Just outside centermass" should be the -1 zone. Reading your string scores, it looks like you dropped seven points, so add 3.5 seconds to your time of 89.97 for your total score.

I've been running as many as twenty or thirty shooters a year through the classifier, since '01, including Masters, and have never seen a better time/score than that. So, yeah, you're doing pretty well.

that is a solid time for the classifier...high expert, just failing to make master...but if you haven't seen anyone shoot a better time than that in 7+ yrs, you need to get out a little more...it isn't like a 3.50 El Prez or a 1.35 Bill Drill. A WOW factor time is 18 to 20 seconds faster than that... ;)

Maybe there will be a Classifier National Championship some day, and I can hope to work it? Truth be told, we do have three or four home-grown Masters in the area, but I have never been present when they've shot a Master-class score.

I am surprised that there are no real Master class shooters in your area. When I started shooting IDPA, there were hardly any, anywhere...I was the first Master rated shooter in the Houston area for almost a yr, then there were a couple in SSP then 6 or so months later there was another CDP Master, but long about 04, the USPSA shooters discovered IDPA in a big way and there was a big influx of Master shooters in most divisions. Bet there might be 50 guys in the area that can shoot Master times on the classifier, now. I have shot an 83+ in CDP and a 75+ shooting ESP but I was WOW'ed when I saw Dave Sevigny's 69+ score...now that is smoking...there are quite a few guys on this forum that can burn it down...It has been discussed before, but the consensus is that a solid B shooter in USPSA can most likely turn in a Master time on the qualifier. Making Master in IDPA used to mean seeing your name at the top of the page at most matches, now you are probably looking up at 6 or 8 above you unless you have a "lights out" day or unless you can really shoot the classifier in the mid to low 70 second time frame. Getting tougher all the time. Keep working on it... :)

I've run a half-dozen USPSA M and GM shooters through the IDPA classifier, and none shot a Master score while I was holding the timer. Most of them only dabble in IDPA, and they shoot the classifier only to fulfill the annual classification requirement. Our own Duane Thomas is a Master in at least one division, but he's successfully ducked me at classifier matches. :D

I couldn't disagree more about the B=Master theory. It's a conceit among "IPSC shooters" that just does not play out on the range. Even as my USPSA classification went from 60% to 80%, my IDPA classification was stuck on Sharpshooter. I have seen a very strong correlation in the equivalency of IDPA and USPSA classification, that is, Novice = D, Marksman = C, etc. That holds for the classifier and match performance. We don't have a lot of shooters in our area who really pursue both sports, so it could be, again, that I'm seeing the results skewed by "IPSC shooters" who don't really try to adapt to the different requirements of IDPA.

Edited by RickB

The scoring system is simplicity itself. I'm confused that you could be shooting IDPA for a year, yet you don't understand the scoring system? If you are using approved targets, there are scoring zone perfs, and their point values, right on the target. If the round is in the "-1" zone, you add a half-second to your elapsed time. If the round falls in the "-3" zone, you add 1.5 seconds. "Just outside centermass" should be the -1 zone. Reading your string scores, it looks like you dropped seven points, so add 3.5 seconds to your time of 89.97 for your total score.

I've been running as many as twenty or thirty shooters a year through the classifier, since '01, including Masters, and have never seen a better time/score than that. So, yeah, you're doing pretty well.

that is a solid time for the classifier...high expert, just failing to make master...but if you haven't seen anyone shoot a better time than that in 7+ yrs, you need to get out a little more...it isn't like a 3.50 El Prez or a 1.35 Bill Drill. A WOW factor time is 18 to 20 seconds faster than that... ;)

Maybe there will be a Classifier National Championship some day, and I can hope to work it? Truth be told, we do have three or four home-grown Masters in the area, but I have never been present when they've shot a Master-class score.

I am surprised that there are no real Master class shooters in your area. When I started shooting IDPA, there were hardly any, anywhere...I was the first Master rated shooter in the Houston area for almost a yr, then there were a couple in SSP then 6 or so months later there was another CDP Master, but long about 04, the USPSA shooters discovered IDPA in a big way and there was a big influx of Master shooters in most divisions. Bet there might be 50 guys in the area that can shoot Master times on the classifier, now. I have shot an 83+ in CDP and a 75+ shooting ESP but I was WOW'ed when I saw Dave Sevigny's 69+ score...now that is smoking...there are quite a few guys on this forum that can burn it down...It has been discussed before, but the consensus is that a solid B shooter in USPSA can most likely turn in a Master time on the qualifier. Making Master in IDPA used to mean seeing your name at the top of the page at most matches, now you are probably looking up at 6 or 8 above you unless you have a "lights out" day or unless you can really shoot the classifier in the mid to low 70 second time frame. Getting tougher all the time. Keep working on it... :)

I've run a half-dozen USPSA M and GM shooters through the IDPA classifier, and none shot a Master score while I was holding the timer. Most of them only dabble in IDPA, and they shoot the classifier only to fulfill the annual classification requirement. Our own Duane Thomas is a Master in at least one division, but he's successfully ducked me at classifier matches. :D

I couldn't disagree more about the B=Master theory. It's a conceit among "IPSC shooters" that just does not play out on the range. Even as my USPSA classification went from 60% to 80%, my IDPA classification was stuck on Sharpshooter. I have seen a very strong correlation in the equivalency of IDPA and USPSA classification, that is, Novice = D, Marksman = C, etc. That holds for the classifier and match performance. We don't have a lot of shooters in our area who really pursue both sports, so it could be, again, that I'm seeing the results skewed by "IPSC shooters" who don't really try to adapt to the different requirements of IDPA.

Perhaps it is just that they work harder at one side of the sport than the other...when I shot IPSC (as it was called in the Old Days), there were no classes till after I stopped shooting it except at the club level and then it only went to A shooter, no M or GM...I was an A shooter. When I started getting an interest in IDPA in 98, I had not shot USPSA since 86 and my skills were rusty to say the least...got back on the range and 4 months later, early 99 when I shot the classifier, I made Master easily. Couldn't have done it without the skills I learned shooting IPSC, weak hand, speed load, shoot while moving forward and rearward and especially barricade. When I started IDPA, Tim Oxley was the Big Dawg in Houston and he never was more than a B shooter...he finished 4th ESP at his first IDPA Natls, behind a guy named John Shaw...At the beginning of 99, Tim and I were pretty closely matched till he stopped shooting. It would do my ego good to think I was a M shooter or even a GM shooter in the other sport, but the two are so very different it would have been hard to tell. I shot a few classifiers around the area in 00 and 01 with M scores, but never rekindled that old fire to shoot USPSA, and gradually the bickering and lack of consistency in IDPA got to the point that I stopped shooting that as well...

Don't know who the M and GM class shooters were who went thru the classifier with you on the clock, but I know 10 guys I can call on the phone at random today who are B and A shooters and they can go out cold and shoot a M score on the IDPA classifier...I think it is harder for it to go the other way...M in IDPA might be a C shooter in USPSA if they went across without prior shooting experience...JMHO...

I don't know why people say this. Would you rather improve and get better as a shooter, or win trophies against poor competition? I'm not classified very high in either sport, but I wish I was. My match scores are better than my classifier scores, and beating other C and Sharpshooter classed shooters doesn't really feel like an accomplishment to me.

Edited by waktasz

This is for CDP with a STI Trojan 1911

Stage 1

1 2.48 no down

2 2.2 no down

3 2.3 no down

4 4.23 no down

5 4.25 no down

6 7.14 no down

7 5.66 no down

28.26 (0)

Stage 2

1 4.98 no down

2 4.69 no down

3 8.94 2 just outside centermass

4 5.8 1 outside of center

25.91 (3)

Stage 3

1 15.69 2 just outside center

2 14.61 2 outside center

3 6.8 0 down

39.1 (4)

Total = 93.27 (7)

You may be positioned any way you like at the start of the strings that are in the open. The gun must be down at a 45* angle with the finger off the trigger.

For reference, I shot this SSP Master classifier two weeks ago with a Glock 34:

27.74 (0)

25.06 (2)

44.55 (12)

Total = 97.35 (14)

My time just squeaks under the Master bar, which is 98.82 or less for SSP.

In CDP, your score puts you in Expert division. EX = 111.43-91.77. MA = 91.76 or less.

Given the rest of your times, your strong/weak hand times and the El-Prez's jump out at me as being a bit behind the curve when compared to your speed on the other string. Those are what I would practice to shave some time.

A 20yd bill drill or two while leaning out from behind that barricade might not hurt, either.

Not missing a head in Stage 1, and not dropping excessive points on the 20yd shots in Stage 3, are crucial to a good score.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Memhis,

Thanks for your input.

Your ideas are what I've been hoping for as opposed to the numerous replys and that have all but called me a liar..

MY press gets back form repair on tuesday so hopefully I can change from practicing what I've been doing and incoprorating some of what I've larned by shootring this.

As for the other guys who've offered constructive critisiazm.....Thank you.

To those whove offered dimly vailed sarcasm and passive agressive bitchiness its been duly noted...now go f*#k yourself.

To those who must think I've ran through this COF many times I suggest you read it again. This is the first time I've ever shot this. I, personally, think it gave me some insights as to where I needed to practice in order to expand my shooting as opposed to just shooting plate racks and moving drills from 5-15 yards.

My times in this COF put me where I usually place in local matches. About 3 to 5 seconds below overall, ESP and highcap shooters who are quick can beat me. And 3 to 6 overall and first to thrid in CDP depending on who i get to shoot with is my usual position when I get to shoot an IDPA match.

At any rate....

My scores, as it is, place me just above master and what should be solidly in EXP in the next classifier. Like they say If I can shoot 110% in practice and 90% in a comp then I place about where I should.

For those who happen to have some beef with people practicing the classifier I can see you point. I agree that shooting the same COF ever day/week doesn't help your overall ability. However, i must disagree, when people who say that shooting the classifier once or twice is a waste or time or worse "cheating".

Anyhow. Its my hope to get qual'd and be able to make some of the larger IDPA matches and branch out into some of the IPSC/USPSA stuff later this year..

Thank you and goodnight RRF

===000----===---0000

Edited by rrflyer