Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Studbar Pullup

XRe

No, I didn't make the name up :lol:

http://studbarpullup.com/

Just installed one of these in my garage - if you need a solid piece of gear that won't rip down the molding inside your doorways, and will withstand kipping and all other manner of torture, this seems like the piece of gear you need. Its super solid, anchored into the ceiling joists.

My only critique of it is that the finish texture is very slick, making it tough to get a solid grip on the bar. I haven't tried chalk, yet - chalk and I don't typically get along on a hot day, though (it runs right off in the sweat). So, I might end up taping the bar (which works well at the gym on bars that otherwise will tear the living hell out of your hands).

Gloves don't help me, either... at least, not the ones I've tried. I still get blisters from pinching parts of the hand... kinda sucks, but... The one pair of gloves I have are still a little slick for me on the bar, too, so... Eh, I'll figure it out... :lol:

Yeah calices suck! If you get severe ones they make a calice brush that you can get at cvs for like three bucks. When in the shower use it directly on the areas to scrub and debride the dead tissue. The tape would be the best fix however it is messy to remove. I used everything from chalk, to gloves, etc. The bar is powder coated which will give it that slick texture.

I'm looking into this program

http://www.poleexercise.co.uk/2008/01/24/i...-stop-the-slip/

Lol NOT.

It looks like a great product, but I'd be concerned with how it is mounted. Putting those big lag screws into something that's only 1.5" across seems risky; you could split the beam or if you're not perfectly square, screw through the beam. Some new constructions homes, like mine, use 2x4s instead of 2x6s for joists too.

When I find time and money, I'm going to put one up using a hanger that will attach to ceiling joists using lag bolts that go through the joists. I have a heavy bag hung the same way, and I can climb on top of it without worrying it will come down. I'll take some pics and post.

No, I didn't make the name up :lol:

http://studbarpullup.com/

Just installed one of these in my garage - if you need a solid piece of gear that won't rip down the molding inside your doorways, and will withstand kipping and all other manner of torture, this seems like the piece of gear you need. Its super solid, anchored into the ceiling joists.

My only critique of it is that the finish texture is very slick, making it tough to get a solid grip on the bar. I haven't tried chalk, yet - chalk and I don't typically get along on a hot day, though (it runs right off in the sweat). So, I might end up taping the bar (which works well at the gym on bars that otherwise will tear the living hell out of your hands).

Ever try wrist straps? I use to be into serious lifting and the wrist straps help with dead lifts and heavy rowing and such, probably would work for you pull-ups.

Buddy

Try using these Lifting Straps.

They really allow you to focus on training your lats instead of your grip and forearms.

If you ever have to lift something in real life that's a great way to ensure failure and a serious gap in your available work capacity.

If you do decide to use straps, make that they, just like your gloves, match your purse and shoes, too.... :lol:

One of the added benefits of lifting stuff, or pulling stuff (say, like, body weight) with the hands is increased grip strength. Why would I want to deny myself that, when it applies so clearly to our sport? All I'm sayin' is the bar's a little slick, that's all. Geez... Plenty of ways to deal with it...

If you do decide to use straps, make that they, just like your gloves, match your purse and shoes, too.... :lol:

One of the added benefits of lifting stuff, or pulling stuff (say, like, body weight) with the hands is increased grip strength. Why would I want to deny myself that, when it applies so clearly to our sport? All I'm sayin' is the bar's a little slick, that's all. Geez... Plenty of ways to deal with it...

Yes, plenty of ways to deal with it and the straps are one of them. Maybe not the one that your looking for, but never the less one way. Just a suggestion, don't get your color coordinated panties in a wad. ;)

Buddy

All I'm sayin' is the bar's a little slick, that's all. Geez... Plenty of ways to deal with it...

Gaffer's Tape --- I don't know if it will be tacky enough to solve your grip problem, but it should remove in a reasonable time frame without residue....

If you do wind up with glue residue, Isopropyl Alcohol or Goo Gone will take care of it. Goo gone does release fumes though.....

If you don't know how to find centers on studs and such, you probably shouldn't be installing something like this, anyway... ;)

I know how to find centers on studs and such...I did say in my earlier post that I have a heavy bag hung in my garage and I can swing from it like a fat monkey and it won't come down. But it is mounted via a 2x4 brace cut to fit between adjacent joists, screwed through the joists into the brace, and then with lag BOLTS through the brace into the bag support bracket. I watched the video and he did stress how importantant it is to make sure you are exactly on center when drilling. Even if you are on center, if your pilot hole isn't perfectly square to the joist, you can still over-penetrate it. Then if you over-torque the lag bolt, you can strip the wood (also mentioned in the video). Then you can hit imperfections in the joist like knots, or hit electrical staples.

Think of how many times in construction you have seen a screw used to directly support a vertical load. I'm not saying anything bad about the product or any of its endorsers, but users have to understand the danger in mounting something meant to be used in this manner using direct load bearing screws, even if they have the carpentry skills to hang it.

Back when I was rock climbing regularly, I had a set of these for pullups. Awesome grip. Maybe an epoxy-sand grip treatment is in order for your bar?

m_620043_s06_000.jpg

I freaked Eric and the rest of my squad out in Panama doing two-finger pullups... fun party trick, though not that useful for shooting.

If my elbows would ever heal up, I might haul them back out again.

Ya know.. somewhere I have hold-making materials.. I wonder if there's a market for STI-grip-shaped pullup-rings.. ;)

Try using these Lifting Straps.

They really allow you to focus on training your lats instead of your grip and forearms.

If you ever have to lift something in real life that's a great way to ensure failure and a serious gap in your available work capacity.

The OP was asking for suggestions to assist him with a "slippery" bar, so I offered my advice. Lifting straps, chalk, tape, gloves, they can all be considered a "crutch". They are merely training tools. My advice was worth what was paid for it.

I spent many years using straps when I was bodybuilding, and yes they did match my posing trunks (black). :closedeyes:

• 1 month later...