Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 reloading advice

openroadws

I'm new to the forum, "really enjoying all the info! " My question is, when placing the bullet into the belled case,is it best to place it while still in the powder station or after cycling to the seating station? My thinking is to place it while still in the powedr station so I can more easily view the powder charge. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I set it on the case at the seating station.

I look into the case after it is charged to verify charge. Then with bullet in hand, rotate the case to the next position and set the bullet. Easier for me and helps to keep the bullet in place instead of tipping while being rotated.

If you have belled the case so much that you can set a bullet into it at the powder station and it is still standing after rotating, then you may have belled it too much. After rotating the case into the seating station, you should be able to look into the case while you put the bullet in place to ensure that the powder level is consistent. Then as you pull the handle, your left hand can guide the bullet into the seating die.

Our host has a very good DVD on Competition Reloading where he discusses setup and operation of a 650 press. There is a lot of good information in there that applies to all presses, including the 550.

I have a bright light set up just behing and to the left of my press so that I can get a good look at the powder charge (old eyes)! Once I check the powder at the seating station I place the bullet and seat.

FWIW

Richard

seating station for me too. I agree with Chirpy, I have to have a light behind and to the left of the press to see down in the case (for .45 acp and such). I want to try and rig a mirror to make it easier though.