Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to break a bad habit......

dfwmiket

I realized that I still shoot my open gun like a Limited gun, I aim with the dot instead of looking for the dot to appear on the target. What I do now works, but obviously it isn't the "right" way and I think I could probably improve my standing/shooting if I could work past this.... I did a quick search for similar topic, but my search fu was weak. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?

-Mike

I realized that I still shoot my open gun like a Limited gun, I aim with the dot instead of looking for the dot to appear on the target. What I do now works, but obviously it isn't the "right" way and I think I could probably improve my standing/shooting if I could work past this.... I did a quick search for similar topic, but my search fu was weak. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?

-Mike

Try placing tape on the front of the C-more, you will see the dot with your right eye, the target with your left. if you focus on the dot, you won't see the target.

Well, I'm left handed, left eye dominant, if it makes any difference........ I think I tried that tape trick once before, but I have slept since then, too. :)

You can do the same basic thing with a business card...trim it to fit and put a little tape on the ends to hold it. Makes a huge difference for folks trying to work on target focus. R,

I'm left eye too Mike. the blocked off lens trick works fine. I did it to learn how to use my off eye more. Breaking the habit is going the opposite way for me picking up a limited gun after so many years with open.

With the open I would look at the place I wanted the shot to go, the dot was just something I am aware of. not looking at like I may with a longer shot or a rifle. when the shot gets far I will put more attention on the top edge of the dot to touch the place I want the shot to hit. try putting a mark on the targets when you practice so that you see just the mark, make it small so that if your eyes are focused close on the dot you can not see the mark

WIDE transitions and really SNAP your head and eyes ahead of the gun, get your eyes and head out as far as you possibly can ahead of the gun and find the EXACT spot you want to put a hole, as you see the dot start to come in prep the trigger, when the dot lands break the shot. Focus intently on the spot you want to put the hole, the dot will come in and you won't focus on it.

This worked for me, and I did it all in dry fire. I never fired a shot and learned target focus. That said, we are all wired differently and if it doesn't work for you block the lens like the previous posters have talked about and try it. If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you.