Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6-10 shot conversion on a model 17

sci

WAS wondering if anyone had converted a 6 shot to a 10 shot with the cylinder smith sells and what all is involved

I have a 6 shot mod 17 and my wife wants a 10 shot

Steve

Edited by sci

Steve, it would totally depend on the cost of the cylinder assembly. Dealer price on a 617 from most sources is right at $600 now (everything gun-related has taken a price jump). If you can get a 10-shot cylinder relatively cheap, the conversion might be worthwhile. In my post above, I was just pointing out that you'll need to buy a 617 hand as well as the cylinder and extractor.

Edited by Carmoney

Mike:

I don't think you'd wann'a use a 317 hand, would you? I mean, the 317 IS a J-FRAME, right?!?! And an eight-shooter, to boot, IIRC...what a "Treat" THAT would be to try an' "Time Up"!!!...NOT!!!....mikey357

[/quote name=Carmoney' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:51 AM' post='909919]

Steve, it would totally depend on the cost of the cylinder assembly. Dealer price on a 617 from most sources is right at $600 now (everything gun-related has taken a price jump). If you can get a 10-shot cylinder relatively cheap, the conversion might be worthwhile. In my post above, I was just pointing out that you'll need to buy a 617/317 hand as well as the cylinder and extractor.

The cost to have S&W convert my 617 from 6 to 10 was less than $150. Changed the cylinder and hand, returned the old parts for re-install if I ever want to.

I may be getting rid of it if I can find a 4" The 6" barrel is just too difficult for me to steady in slow fire. I can't get past 92

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmmm,for a little under $200 I've got a 6 banger 17-8 no-lug that I should send in.My concern is that this gun shoots patterns,always has.Its smooth as hell though.Did Smith do a good job on it for you sci?

Mike it looks and feels good so far i will have to get back to you after we shoot it a little but from what i can tell it will be fine

Steve

Hmmmm,for a little under $200 I've got a 6 banger 17-8 no-lug that I should send in.My concern is that this gun shoots patterns,always has.Its smooth as hell though.Did Smith do a good job on it for you sci?

Mike it looks and feels good so far i will have to get back to you after we shoot it a little but from what i can tell it will be fine

Steve

To add, mine has a round count in the thousands with no problems at all. It is like it was always a 10 shot.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

• 9 months later...