Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 121 IFP

ErikW

We've shot a bunch of them in our 9x21 open guns over a (major) charge of V V N350. They seem to be an accurate bullet and a bit less expensive than the Hornady 121 HAP's.

The IFP's have a bit of lead that protrudes beyond the jacketing at the tip which required us to seat them a bit shorter.

No complaints here...

Oops, I meant in .38 Super Auto for a S_I. Do you run that short length in both your Tanfoglio and your wife's new S_I blaster?

It sounds like I'll have to try it. I want a jacketed base to reduce lead in my comp but I don't want media in hollowpoints after tumbling the case lube off.

Oops, I meant in .38 Super Auto for a S_I. Do you run that short length in both your Tanfoglio and your wife's new S_I blaster?

It sounds like I'll have to try it. I want a jacketed base to reduce lead in my comp but I don't want media in hollowpoints after tumbling the case lube off.

We're running HAP's in the new Dawson gun exclusively, so I can't comment on .38 Super OAL with IFP's.

We occasionally get media in the hollowpoints after tumbling the HAP's. Has this caused you a problem?

Why does it bother you to just leave the lube on? I'm convinced one-shot on loaded rounds is a good thing...good for feeding.

I also am tumbling the lube off our ammo since we're using the Dillon lube. As soon as we run out of that lube, I'm going to try One-Shot.

I prefer the dry slickness of lube-free cartridges, aided with a little silicone spray and a rag. The One Shot is just too sticky and yucky for me. This means I need to tumble* after loading, which introduces media into about 1 per 20 hollowpoints.

It has never happened to me, but a fellow shooter had a piece of media tie up his gun tight.

* In my copious free time recently, I've pre-sized and tumbled the cases before loading.

How much One Shot are you using?

I spray most lightly. It slicks them through the U-Die nicely. Nothing detectable on loaded rounds. Tumbling would be a waste of time.

Lately, I have been inspecting brass, then hitting a box full of them with lube, and storing until I am ready to load.

I'm also a Hornady One Shot user. I put about 300 cases of TJ in a giant zip lock freezer bag, spray a few shots of one shot on the inside of the freezer bag and just a little bit on the cases themselves, close the freezer bag and shake like a mad man. I feel that there is no need to tumble the loaded round to get the Hornady one Shot lube off of the cases, and my open gun only jams on average 1 out of 6,000 rounds.

I have used the Zero 121gr in both minor and Major, one of my freinds uses the Montana, they both work (read that as feed) equally as well, as long as you make the ammo properly. They work (read that as recoil and perform) just like any decent 125gr but have to be pushed along a little faster, which helps make the comp go properly. Not quite as soft or flat as a 115gr but once you have shot plenty it all works out perfectly.

I use both Hornady and Dillon case lube. Apply in old icecream containers about 200 at a time, spray and shake about.

I find the Dillon is a little stickier that the Hornady, but if you get a medium sized hand towel and hold it like a hammock, place loaded rounds inside (about a 100 to 200 at a time) and alternate each side up and down, most, if not all the lube is easily removed. When finished put the towel back in the wash and the lady of the house yells at the kids for getting it so grubby and you are set. :)

• 2 weeks later...

ong45 gave me a sample of the MG 121. Looking closely and comparing to their 115 JHP, I'd bet good money it's identical, with the nose cavity filled in. They all weigh within a tenth of 121.5 grains.

I loaded up a few with 3N38 and I'm anxious to try it.

I had a thread in here somewhere about sticky OneShot. It seems to depend on the lot used, and I don't know if this is a new vs. old formulation issue. I've left my sticky rounds as is, and they don't seem to attract or hold more range grunge than usual, and they don't hang up in my (limited) gun/mag. They do feel tacky though, in more ways than one :D .

• 1 month later...

I bought 2,000 of the MG 121s, loaded almost all of them, and shot about 1,300 of them so far, over N350 and 3N38. I'll be shooting them at A2DC over 3N38.

They just flip too much for me so I think I'll have to go back to the MG 115 JHP. I think they are a good alternative to the 124 gr JHP. You wouldn't think a mere 6 gr would make such a difference but it does. (Note: full-size Open gun with a heavy comp with 5 straight-up chambers.)

I'm grooved in to shooting 115s and my timing is off with the 121s. High C shots over the A zone abound, including a few Bs and even an upper A (hosing the close quarters classifier). The extra flip and resulting hits remind me of shooting my lightened-slide Limited gun.