Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo Compensator ?

lrjet

Going to have Toolguy put a Douglas barrel on my Open 627 and would like to know your thoughts if I should have him put a comp on. If so who makes the best comp and configuration. Guess a ti or alum one would be the way to go. Thx

Going to have Toolguy put a Douglas barrel on my Open 627 and would like to know your thoughts if I should have him put a comp on. If so who makes the best comp and configuration. Guess a ti or alum one would be the way to go. Thx

As one who owns several BC revolvers, here is what I would offer. Your wants, and needs may vary.

The first BC revo I had done was like any typical gun with wings and underlug. The difference was this that I the gunsmith reduced the diameter of the last 5/8" or so of the muzzle and threaded it. The smith then made a "cap" which threaded onto the barrel. The cap when installed simply made the barrel look like nothing had been done, other than a 6" bull barrel. I also had the smith make a compensator, which could be installed by simply removing the cap and threading on the comp. The comp and cap had a witness mark for making sure that it was indexed at the same spot each time. Both had set or lock screws that when tightened, they would prevent the comp or cap from turning. That guns comp was about 1 1/2" long so the gun with comp measured at about 7 1/2" and without the barrel was 6". The actual rifled muzzle was the same with either set up, as neither effected that. Accuracy was the same either way, but the felt recoil was noticably different. The comp and the cap were made from the same barrel blank as the barrel. This way when blued, it all looked exactly the same.

Also, with this set up to go from open gun to metallic gun all I had to do was remove wings and under lug & scope mount and scope and install a Bomar or Aristocrat rib and remove comp and thread on the cap. The Cap's only purpose was to protect the threads, add a little weight and to finish off the contour of the barrel. To go OPEN, just reverse the process.

Also, on this gun the comp was a single large port. The reason for this is that this gun was a PPC gun, thus a K frame, and I used lead (148gr HBWC) bullets even with the comp. The larger port was easier to clean out. If this set up were done on a L frame or something stronger than a K S&W, then the comp design would have been probably two ports and I would likley use 125 JHP or something.

Later, I had other guns built that were specific for open and metallic. The above gave me two setups with minimal added cost. If I ever want to sell it, it is a PPC gun and a BC open gun.

If you don't want the ability to remove the comp, then he likley will just make the barrel a tad longer, then relieve the muzzle bore to about .375 and then cut ports into the barrel. Warren knows what he is doing, so I would leave a lot of that up to him.

Good luck,

Martin

AllGood: Thx you always have given good information. Yeah I will do what Warren suggest. I will mostly be shooting steel and maybe some ICORE. Going to shoot BC with an open auto. Do you feel the comp was effective enough to warrent one @ 120PF.

OK, let me play devil's advocate here for a sec:

Lrjet, what are you trying to accomplish by installing the Douglas barrel? If you're planning to use it for Bianchi and want the wings and underlug and stuff, I can sure understand that. But for steel matches and ICORE shooting, what improvement are you looking for? Better accuracy? More weight? Less weight?

To answer your question regarding comps, my opinion is that a comp will make no appreciable difference at minor power factor. Some may disagree, but in my opinion it's purely a placebo thing. We played with all kinds of revolver comps back when we were shooting pins with wheelguns (at much higher power factor), and I'm here to tell you there's no real benefit to them. Jerry messed with one for awhile, but went back to a plain ol' 8-3/8" stock barrel. I have a 25-2 pin gun made by the late great John Nowlin with a special ported Shilen match barre, and truth be told it's really not any softer or more accurate than my stock 25-2. And most of the top ICORE guys are perfectly happy using factory barrels.

Now, all that said--if you just want the satisfaction of owning a full-house custom Open revo, there's not a thing wrong with that. I just think it's unlikely that you're going to experience a significant performance improvement by installing the Douglas tube, comped or not.

I just like to have a revo/pistol to be as accurate as possible-- to me it adds the pride factor of owning and it is a mental thing also. If I understand it right the 1 in 10 twist would be better than a 1 in 18 which is versed for hotter 357 loads. The 1 in 10 should sweet spot better. My guess was that a comp at lower power factor wouldnt do much but I had to ask anyway since I am going to install the Douglas and that would be the time to do the machine work. Guess since I used to be a Tool and Die maker I just have to tinker with stuff. Thanks guys for your input.

I just like to have a revo/pistol to be as accurate as possible-- to me it adds the pride factor of owning and it is a mental thing also.

Hey, that's as good a reason as any. OK, devil's advocate mode off now! :D

Ha ha its just if I ever go against you I need an accurate revo so my nervous big wobble zone isnt magnified. I need all the accuracy I can get.

AllGood: Thx you always have given good information. Yeah I will do what Warren suggest. I will mostly be shooting steel and maybe some ICORE. Going to shoot BC with an open auto. Do you feel the comp was effective enough to warrent one @ 120PF.

If the comp is installed properly, it will not effect accuracy, and it can not not have no effect. That does not mean that it has great effect. The thrust of the gases upward, has to add some downward thrust. The compensator is even used on .22LR International Rapid Fire Pistols, so there is some benefit however slight when gas is ported out the top. One must also keep in mind that, if cutting the port into an existing barrel, then weight has been removed from the muzzle end of the barrel. So will the gain of the port be offset by the loss of the weight?

I do agree with Carmoney that factory S&W barrels are made well. However, some factory barrels come through with improperly cut throats, or are poorly crowned. Remember they are production pieces. In many cases the custom barrels help more due to more attention to throat, crown, barrel cylinder gap, squaring the cylinder, and the added weight. I have seen some very good shooting S&W revos with stock barrels, but this doesn't mean that some fine tuning didn't occur with that stock barrel. Good revolver smiths are more than barrel changers and action workers.

FWIW, I will go one more and say that there are virtually no top HM PPC shooters who shoot stock barreled revos in the PPC open gun category. In other words they all have aftermarket heavy barrels. The reason is that they find them either more accurate, or they find them easier to shoot more accurately or both.

Blueprinting a stock gun and barrel will make it better, as will changing to a custom barrel provided it is also done right. Good luck with your project regardless. There is so much good advice on this forum that proves there are numerous ways to shed the feline of it's fur.

Martin :cheers:

Edited by Allgoodhits

I have a Wichita removable slab comp that came on my 625. How well's it work? I dunno. :rolleyes: I mean I can't tell if it's the comp or all the added weight that keeps the barrel jump down. It feels ungainly and nose heavy to me.

comp.jpg

FWIW, I will go one more and say that there are virtually no top HM PPC shooters who shoot stock barreled revos in the PPC open gun category.

OK, devil's advocate mode switched back on for a minute: Let's be honest here, PPC is pretty much a dead sport, and Bianchi (NRA Action) is dying a slow and painful death also. (I'm not being critical here, just making an observation. My own original favorite handgun discipline, bowling pin shooting, is likewise a dead game these days.) More to the point, PPC and Bianchi are fundamentally slow-fire games in which a heavy barrel can be an advantage, not so much for recoil absorption, but in helping to stabilize the sight picture. But a muzzle-heavy revolver is exactly what you don't want for ICORE or steel shooting--heavy barrels are not ideal for making fast transitions from target to target.

Now, there are custom barrels that aren't heavy barrels, and that would be a whole different thing altogether.....

If you are looking for the "COOL" factor Might I suggest: Elroy,

.post-309-1232984984_thumb.jpg

It is truly the softest shooting Revo I have ever shot. the comp is made of Aluminum with a steel insert. The face plates are big enough to make some difference. It also has four Hybrid ports in the barrel. Now to see if it uploaded a picture. Later rdd

If you are looking for the "COOL" factor Might I suggest: Elroy,

.post-309-1232984984_thumb.jpg

It is truly the softest shooting Revo I have ever shot. the comp is made of Aluminum with a steel insert. The face plates are big enough to make some difference. It also has four Hybrid ports in the barrel. Now to see if it uploaded a picture. Later rdd

Hey someone stole Buck Roger's blaster!

i remember that gun. You and Gene used to have the crazy barrel contest going. =) i wondered if you still had that thing

Scott

Scotty, if that revo was mine I would still be shooting it. That one belongs to Gene. I remember one 6 shot open revo he built and way too much time on his hands. It was a 6 1/2 barrel with the bottom side lightened to look as if it had port drilled at the bottom and top. I shot it at the Match in Rio, before it was clled Area 2. He had a lot of guys believing that if he cut top and bottom ports it negated any muzzle rise. We finally showed them that they were not cut all the way to the bore. I shot it against the 8 shooters and lost first place by 3 match points. They had to throw out two of my best stages because of some poblem. Ahh but that was when was young and stupid... I ain't young anymore.. :unsure: later rdd

is Gene still arround?? i have not seen him in years. he built my first racegun and i still have it and still shoot it. best 1911 i have ever owned. i wouldnt mind having him work on my revolvers if he is still at it. and the speed sticks too, i bought a lathe and all the materials to make some but never made any yet.

Scott