Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another great revolver-only match opportunity!

Carmoney

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:surprise:

Were is Colo Iowa???

Jim/PA

Sailors :roflol::devil:

Turn left where the old school house USED to be... :roflol:

Jim,

Right in the middle of the state. About 12 miles east of Ames on highway 30. Our ranges are a mile north of highway 30 on 680th Avenue. I'll give detailed directions later.

Jay

Mike I looked at the entry form and it says that on the 5th you have to shot a .40 cal or greater. is this correct, if so Why????

July 3: 9 Steel Challenge-like stages with x17 (317 or 617) at Tappe’s range

July 4 & 5: 8 USPSA-style stages (approx. 200 rounds/day) at OOPS range

July 4: Open revolver (any revolver 9mm caliber or greater)

July 5: Limited revolver (any 6-shot revolver .40 caliber or greater)

I Wanted to to shoot my snubby on The 5th because it is a 6 shooter.

Snubby

Not sure I have an answer for you, other than "that's what we decided."

Jay's original concept was Fri-617, Sat-627, Sun-625. We expanded those specific models to be a little more accommodating to other options. We don't want to exclude anybody, but we have to draw the lines somewhere.

If you don't have a .40+ revolver to shoot on Sunday......there's plenty of time between now and July to get one! :D

Mike I looked at the entry form and it says that on the 5th you have to shot a .40 cal or greater. is this correct, if so Why????

July 3: 9 Steel Challenge-like stages with x17 (317 or 617) at Tappe’s range

July 4 & 5: 8 USPSA-style stages (approx. 200 rounds/day) at OOPS range

July 4: Open revolver (any revolver 9mm caliber or greater)

July 5: Limited revolver (any 6-shot revolver .40 caliber or greater)

I Wanted to to shoot my snubby on The 5th because it is a 6 shooter.

Snubby

Snubby,

Our original plan was to have X17 on Friday, 627s on Saturday, and 625s on Sunday. After a couple of meetings we decided this was too restrictive but we still wanted to somewhat limit gun types to maintain a degree of uniformity among the competitors. After much debate this was our compromise. Since this our first shot at this idea/match we are trying to keep everything as uniform and as simple as possible. We would rather not do a major/minor scoring system this year.

Maybe next year we will expand the divisions allowing the use of more gun types/models. We encourage your suggestions to make this match better in following years. There probably will be spare guns if you need to borrow a 40 or 45 for Sunday. Your snubby certainly would be legal to use on Saturday.

See ya,

Craig

If you really want to be true to the theme.... you should allow snubbies.

Also any AD should not be a DQ, the RO should say it happens to a lot of guys then cuddle for the rest of the stage.

My App. is going in the mail today.

I'm shooting Cormoney's X17(or whatever).

And because it is the only revolver I own, as of right now, i'm shooting my 625 with iron sights on Sat. & Sun.

No matter how well I do, i'm going to have big smile on my face for the hole weekend. :wub::)

To anybody that thinks that they are going.

Open or Limited.

Us Tappes are 1 open and 2 limited and I would be dumbfounded if either of the Carmoneys shoot open so...

Sounds like 4 limited and 1 open so far.

Whats everybody else shooting?

If I cand find Colo Iowa, I will be shooting Open / Optics / Race cheaters revolvers / whatever you want to call them, all the way.

What's the closest Airport.....not for crop dusters either, the big ones that candle my weight. :roflol:

The closest airport is Des Moines. If you can't get a flight out of there, Cedar Rapids airport is about 45 minutes longer drive to Colo.

If you still can't find Colo on mapquest try Nevada, IA were about a 4 miles from there. Were right in the dead center of the state on highway 30.

The closest one is DSM Big Fella, but keep in mind Moline is close to my house and you can jump in with me for the weekend too. I informed the missus that we would have company already.....good thing I am finishing off the basement right now...... :wacko:

DougC

To anybody that thinks that they are going.

Open or Limited.

Us Tappes are 1 open and 2 limited and I would be dumbfounded if either of the Carmoneys shoot open so...

Sounds like 4 limited and 1 open so far.

Whats everybody else shooting?

Craig just finished reading Romeo and Juliet (written in Elizabethan English). He's a little confused.

Like Mike wrote: OPTICS & IRON SIGHTS are the two divisions.

I would like to go and shoot however some of us that are fiscally challenged have a problem.

1 we don't have 22's to compete. That is not a problem as several persons have offered theirs to us. So that is not a problem.

2. I do not own an 8 shot for Sat. this is not a problem as I will shoot my 625, LittleFFL will shoot his 686+ and Snubby will shoot a 627.

3. on Sun I will shoot my 625 again and snubby will sit out because he can't shoot his 627 or Ruger GP100 and LittleFFL will sit out as well because he can't shoot his 686.

Based on the one rule of 40 cal or larger on Sun there are several of us that will not be able to attend. or not be able to shoot all the matches.

As for changing guns or sharing guns we feel that that takes away from your competitiveness because certain guns and grips are set up for certain people. (Ie. LittleFFL has a custom Houge big butt grip that does not fit Snubby or my hand.) Sight pictures are different etc.

I know an idea. instead of limiting it to caliber to level the playing field. Just put all the guns for the day in a bag and you draw one out and shoot it.

dcs

Edited by ffl

I would like to go and shoot however some of us that are fiscally challenged have a problem.

I hear you, David. But like I said, the lines are drawn for this year's match. We'll take everybody's thoughts into consideration for future matches, though. Of course, whatever we decide it won't be ideal for everybody, y'know?

But seriously, there is plenty of time between now and July to do some gearing up. Most of us who participate in this sport in the first place can afford to budget in another wheelgun or two if they have some time to plan/save/trade/etc. One thing I do know--there is no better investment right now than putting your money into firearms, related gear, ammunition, and components....

Both Sat. and Sun. will be shot on USPSA targets, using USPSA scoring and the general (non-equipment) USPSA rules. We will not be setting up a chrono, so you can shoot whatever ammo you want, as long it takes down the steel poppers which will be calibrated to fall at 120 p.f. Because there is no chrono, for scoring purposes, everyone will be assumed to be shooting major both days (even though most probably won't be), so C hits are worth 4 points, etc.

--------------------

Mike Carmoney

A23819

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Point of order. If you are wanting to limit Sunday to 6 shots and .40 or greater then you should chrono and shot major. But to remove 38 and still shoot a 120pf is only limiting the # of shooters that will come. I think that limiting it to 6 shots is OK but I see no point to limiting Cal.

I know if I come that I will be able to shoot either FFl's 625 on Sunday or one of the great Rev. shooters in Iowa will let me use one, but I would like to be able to use my own equiptment.

Also C hits are not worth 4 if they where I would not be a D shooter.

Snubby

Edited by snubby

x17, ltd, open. All optic. 6" 617, 627 Pro, 5" 625 all with C-Mores. Entry sent.

Way to go Tom. REAL men shoot optics.

I get less embarassed shooting steel with a dot so the rest just followed.

Point of order. If you are wanting to limit Sunday to 6 shots and .40 or greater then you should chrono and shot major. But to remove 38 and still shoot a 120pf is only limiting the # of shooters that will come.

Paul, we don't want to limit shooters (particularly our friends), but this match is going to sell out fairly quickly the way we set it up. We've already published the parameters, and some shooters have already mailed their entry forms, so we're not going to be able to change it at this point.

I hear you, David. But like I said, the lines are drawn for this year's match. We'll take everybody's thoughts into consideration for future matches, though. Of course, whatever we decide it won't be ideal for everybody, y'know?

But seriously, there is plenty of time between now and July to do some gearing up. Most of us who participate in this sport in the first place can afford to budget in another wheelgun or two if they have some time to plan/save/trade/etc. One thing I do know--there is no better investment right now than putting your money into firearms, related gear, ammunition, and components....

There is no greater need than now to buy more guns and ammo. I am still challenged as to finances at this point because of my business mostly relies on unstable customer purchases at this point. combine that with the need to purchase a new (new to me) car because of a freak accident involving MissFFL on the ice this week. (before everybody responds with what happened here it is. She was passing a car at low speed and lost traction and skidded into a ditch. the car overturned and was totaled. no one was hurt as the car rolled over in almost slow motion.)

That said if I were to have the money finding a good 627 or other decent S&W product and getting the proper trigger work etc. done is next to impossible now that O***a has been such a great spokesman and salesman for the Gun Industry.

Point of order. If you are wanting to limit Sunday to 6 shots and .40 or greater then you should chrono and shot major. But to remove 38 and still shoot a 120pf is only limiting the # of shooters that will come.

Paul, we don't want to limit shooters (particularly our friends), but this match is going to sell out fairly quickly the way we set it up. We've already published the parameters, and some shooters have already mailed their entry forms, so we're not going to be able to change it at this point.

I have to agree with Paul. It seems the theory of the match was to have 8 shots on Sat and 6 shots on Sun. Why not leave it at that? I do not see anything gained by mandating 40cal or larger. I also do not see a good reason to not have major or minor. If you are using Winscore, it is one click of the mouse. I understand not wanting to chrono but you could just take everyone word for it and rely on the honesty of the shooters or mandate that 40 or over is major and below is minor. By shooting the 8 shots on the same scoring as 6 shots, you have taken away any chance of a 625 running at the top on Sat. We have had the disussion many times here about who would win, 8 minor or 6 major. We could find out at this match. As far as Sunday goes, why exclude any 6 shot gun that conforms to the minimum requirements for revo division: 38 cal min.

Is it too late to change?? I don't think so. Everyone who is shooting the match as is is using the equipment needed to be competitive. Shooting a 6 shot on Sat or a 38 on Sun will be fun but they will not be King of all Revos. If anyone who mailed an app already wants to change, let them. Is there a greater power running the match?? Are your stages approved by those whose magazines are stuffed like turkeys or who reload from cover?? Is it a USPSA match or a Steel Challenge Match?? NO This is a match run by free men for free men. I say you can change whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want and whenever is now!

Edited by cliffwalsh

If there is no problem with sharing guns,( If I can't have one buy the match.) Count me in. Even if I had to just come and watch the last day I will be there.

Next order of business, dose anyone have a 625 or something in a .40 cal Revolver????

Let me Know!!!

Paul