Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Uspsa Match Report

gobabygo

I finally got to shoot my first USPSA match this last weekend. It was a lot of fun even though I was getting over being sick. I came in 40th out of 50 (woo hoo, not last!). However, my overall score looks pretty bad (38%) and it didn't help that there were 3 GMs shooting. Heh. :blink: So I just needed to shoot 3 times faster to win I guess :P

I'm shooting L10 (I only have a 1911 .45) and I was really surprised that at this particular event, there were only 5 people shooting L10, 4 shooting Production and 1 revolver shooter out of about 50 in total (20 open/20 limited). All the L10 shooters were D/U class and in fact, I had the best overall L10 score (one guy had a squib, don't know what the other L10's excuses was). There was an A and a C shooter in Production (minor), and I'm working on a spreadsheet to try to compare myself to them. (I'm an analyst by profession, so this is unfortunately in my nature to do). I really thought that there'd be a lot more L10 shooters... especially here in CA, but that wasn't the case. It's a bit of a let down because I can't really tell how well (badly) I did in the scheme of things.

There were several stages with very high round counts (30-40) so I had lots and lots of opportunity to flub my mag changes. I actually scored pretty well, I was just pokey. And shooting those swingers is damn hard and time consuming!

Overall, I had a great time, but I feel like I need to get a Limited gun to be able to compare myself better with everyone else. I'm probably going to go shoot again this Saturday and I'll see if there are more L10 shooters at this event.

BTW, I didn't look at my gun on any draws :lol:

I came in 40th out of 50
I had the best overall L10 score

That means you are the L10 match winner, congratulations. Results combining divisions are unofficial.

It's too bad that there were only 5 entrants in your division, but that's the effect of dividing 50 shooters into 5 divisions. Imagine what it's like at the clubs that only mangage 20-25 shooters.

I feel like I need to get a Limited gun to be able to compare myself better with everyone else

Yeah, then an Open gun to compare yourselve to everyone else else. :)

Congrats on high Limited 10 at your first match!

I think that you'll find that Lim 10 numbers will fluctuate largely from club to club, and match to match. Most shooters tend to shoot Limited or Open for periods of time when tooling up for a bigger upcoming match, with occasional forays in to Lim 10. In my area, Lim 10 seems to be pretty popular at local clubs, probably 25-30% or more or so on any given weekend. Considering that there wasn't a Lim-10 class a few years ago, thats not bad. As you move up to the larger sectional and Area matches, or any larger matches, Lim 10 seems to suffer IMHO because the impression is that since there are less Lim 10 shooters, the prize tables will be smaller, so people bring out their "big guns" for bigger matches, it seems.

Hang in there, and keep trying a variety of matches, with the equipment you have. As you get better, and feel its the equipment holding you back, not yourself, sure, feel free to get a S*I or whatever..... but I can tell you from experience that learning how to shoot and mag change a single stack fast will make doing mag changes on a hi-cap gun easy as cake, and you'll be that much faster in the end.

Glad you enjoyed, stick with it! :D

One reason there may have been so few L-10 and Production shooters, could be that the Limited and Open nationals are coming up VERY soon, and the Production nationals have already come and gone. As someone who changes between L-10 and Limited on a somewhat regular basis, this seems to be a logical reason to me.

The months before the single stack classic at PASA in barry IL, I went to some matches in Northern IL that had over 50% L-10 competitors.

Also, unless you have to do a static reload :blink: then you should be able to compair yourself with the production AND Limited shooters. I just love it when I can whip Limited shooters with my single stack .45.

Congrats on the win. Hope L-10 pics up after the Nationals.

Depending on the COF's, consider a comparison to the limited division. Wasn’t that long ago that all the single stack guys shot limited, and it was fun to beat hicaps with a ten round mag. A good COF takes out some of the advantage of a hicap, particularly in B, C, and D classes

Heh, I was trying not to have to compare myself to the Limited guys because I didn't have very many good reloads. For whatever reason, I kept grabbing my #2 mag (I wear 2 double mag carriers) and also, when I did get a good reload in there I think I was in shock stared at my gun for a while. :huh: And actually there were a bunch of static reloads that I had to do. There were 3 stages where I didn't really have a choice (and the rest I blew my plan and went to slide lock :rolleyes: ).

So I guess I'll give L10 a chance before I "let" myself buy that S_I gun I've always wanted. It's hard being patient but the wait is good since there's rumors that STI will start selling guns here in Kalifornia again if some Federal legislation gets passed. I'm partial to the look of a full/extended dust cover and I'd like to buy an Edge. Otherwise, I can always buy the *1* SVI double stacker that's legal here.

I just looked at our last match from a comparative view. We had 14 L-10, 13 L, 12 open, 7 Prod, and 3 revolver. On the classifier, cm 99-57, the top three L-10 guys had higher hit factors (4.8, 3.2, 3.1 vs 4.3, 3.2, 2.8) than the Limited shooters. It’s a good neutral stage. The same thing happened on other stages with 3 or more steps between visible arrays. L-10 was a tougher division to compete in than Limited. Generally higher hit factors, until we hit a stage with only one big step between arrays. Then the Limited shooters had an advantage. L-10 is not necessarily a big disadvantage when comparing, it just reflects more on the COF design. All stage scores are here: http://www.millcreekpsl.org/

In any event, shoot, have fun, and watch yourself improve.

Heh, I was trying not to have to compare myself to the Limited guys because I didn't have very many good reloads.  For whatever reason, I kept grabbing my #2 mag (I wear 2 double mag carriers) and also, when I did get a good reload in there I think I was in shock stared at my gun for a while.  :huh:   And actually there were a bunch of static reloads that I had to do.  There were 3 stages where I didn't really have a choice (and the rest I blew my plan and went to slide lock :rolleyes: ).

GBG,

Congratulations on the win for L10!

If you always grab your number 2 magazine, you might consider moving your gear a bit or practicing more with the current position. Perform your reloads with a timer in front of a mirror. See which way is faster and smoother. Everytime I shoot there is a voice in my head that says "Smooth is fast."

Ditto everyone else with concentrating on learning to shoot. Comparison can come later.

Liota

Well, I just looked at the match results for the club I'm going to be shooting at this weekend, and year to date, there have only been between 1-5 L10 shooters out of 40-50 each match, and there's one held every week! Check out http://jvdynamics.com/nrg/match_results/ and scroll down to previous Norco results.

I'm pretty happy with my shooting... I'll check, but I'll bet that I was in the top 10 for gross points (especially if you exclude penalties :blink: ). I was just slow and at least part of that was because I kept duffing my reloads. Watching the top guys is useful, for little tricks and strategies, but I wish there was a good guy in L10 I could watch to see where/how he reloads.

I've practised reloads a bunch here at home. It just falls apart under pressure of the match. That's the biggest thing that I learned that I really really need to work on. But I also learned that reloading over my bed is dramatically different than reloading during a match. I think I'll practice reloading running around in the backyard (hope my neighbors don't see me).