Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which ramp is better?

shooterbenedetto

Clark/Para. You can easily cut it yourself with a 3/8" endmill. Then you know it's in the right place. Who knows where it will end up when you get a W/N cut from the manufacturer.

+1

I will never build on a frame that I didn't cut again.

Clark/Para. You can easily cut it yourself with a 3/8" endmill. Then you know it's in the right place. Who knows where it will end up when you get a W/N cut from the manufacturer.

+1

I will never build on a frame that I didn't cut again.

+1

Yes it is easier to cut and if you have clark/para ramp cut barrel you can cut it for wilson/nowlin ram cut barrel if you have to or you get wilson /nowlin ram cut frame.

I have never had a problem with a factory cut Wilson/Nowlin ramp from STI or a Clark/Lissner from SVI.

When given a choice I will do the Clark/Lissner ramp cut, as I consider it to be stronger/superior, but have no real aversions towards the Wilson/Nowlin and can do/cut it just as easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen more broken barrels with the Wilson/Nowlin ramp design than the Clark/Para/Lissner design.

Generally, I prefer C/P/L design on STI/SVI frames with long dust covers. It's much easier to cut since you mount the frame horizontally on the vise. For frames with standard-length dust covers, I use W/N so I could interchange easily with other brands of barrels.

Although the C/P/L design is much stronger, the only disadvantage is the hand filing of the radius on the frame to match the fillet radius on the barrel. Use lots of Dykem Blue.

Make sure you follow instructions on the measurements, removing too much or too little will cause problems.

• 2 months later...