Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does your kid shoot?

paul788

I started bringing my kids to the range at about 4.5 years of age. They are great for picking up brass and pasting targets, but at that age are sometimes hard to keep occuppied. I found that when they were ready to start shooting, they had picked up all of the necessary safety items needed to safely be on the range handling firearms. They knew what to do and when to do it with minimal instruction. I'm amazed how kids are such sponges.

Both of my oldest kids are avid shooters and enjoy it as much as I do.

I get so much joy out of spending time with them doing the one thing I enjoy the most, shooting. I've been careful not to push the shooting sports on them. They have just grown to love it like I do, which that I'm greatfull for!

Now, I just need to figure out to support their habits along with mine given the price of things these days.....

Now, I just need to figure out to support their habits along with mine given the price of things these days.....

Amen to that brother! I got my wife into shooting several months back, bought her an M&P b/c of the small grips(she's only 5'-0") and now have bought her the new M&P Pro. Also bought a .22 Buckmark so my oldest daughter (12) could shoot with us also. As much as truly enjoy them shooting with me, IT'S NOT CHEAP! But, worth every minute of it. :cheers:

I have an M&P, and if you use the small insert, the gun should have a really nice grip for small hands.

My wife wanted the M&P b/c of small hands. She liked the small grip @ first, but to my surprise she wanted to try the others and actually liked the medium and large grips alot better! I could not believe she liked them better, and she shot somewhat better with the large grips too! Who knew! I guess that goes to show you that you never know what you like or what's good for you until you try it!

I have an M&P, and if you use the small insert, the gun should have a really nice grip for small hands.

My wife wanted the M&P b/c of small hands. She liked the small grip @ first, but to my surprise she wanted to try the others and actually liked the medium and large grips alot better! I could not believe she liked them better, and she shot somewhat better with the large grips too! Who knew! I guess that goes to show you that you never know what you like or what's good for you until you try it!

That's right. The things that seem to make sense don't always work out like you expect. It's best to try as much as possible and see what works best.

Glad to hear that your wife likes to shoot. Mine does too, but 2 young boys tend to take up a lot of time these days.

ETA - For the original thread. Be warned - DON'T let your wife or kid try an open gun unless you're willing to buy one ;) .

Edited by chemepharmd

For what its worth, my wife, who has very small hands likes shooting her Witness Silver Team 9mm. It has a very short trigger reach, even to the single action only trigger. She had previously tried a Glock 19 and vetoed that as too "snappy". She likes the Silver team so much, she isn't interested in shooting much else.

Edited by jfkid

I got an M&P for my son to shoot (he has really small hands). We tried, Glocks, XDs, and the M&Ps. We settled on the M&P because it had the shortest trigger reset - which is key for small hands. we tried tricked out Glocks and XDs and the M&P had the shortest....its even shorter now with a trigger job.

Of course, we bought that pistol for the Production Nationals. I had him start shooting one of my Edges with a short trigger and minor loads. Now, he shoots Open primarily. the STIs and the like allow for under-cutting on the grips which is perfect for small hands.

We're a little closer to a purchase. She had her cast reduced to just the forearm Wednesday. We should be back to shooting Steel Challenge in March. Of the things she has handled single stacks are her favorite.

Who makes an aluminum frame 9mm single stack? Not a compact or carry gun but a fullsize.

Paul

We're a little closer to a purchase. She had her cast reduced to just the forearm Wednesday. We should be back to shooting Steel Challenge in March. Of the things she has handled single stacks are her favorite.

Who makes an aluminum frame 9mm single stack? Not a compact or carry gun but a fullsize.

Paul

Paul,

I am sorry, I did not realize it was you. I will be happy to bring our M&P to MCRC next weekend if you want to try it. Its a 9mm. We have some sweet loads with 135Grn bullets. Just like Mike and Alex's M&P. Just let me know. Take care.

On my son's 9th birthday, he started competing with my 1911 in 45, downloaded to the point where it almost didn't run. Now he shoots a G34, and it ALWAYS runs. The grips are too large for him to release the mag with his strong hand, so he does it with his weak and then reaches for the fresh mag. I am pretty sure that all glocks have the same frame dimensions, regardless of caliber, within the same category. Meaning a G19, G17, G22, G34, G35 all have the same frame dimensions. So if she shot a G17 it would fit her hand as well as a G34, etc.

You can see both guns in action at http://www.youtube.com/user/chbrow10. The early videos show him with the 45 (he called it the Jammatic), and the later videos show the G34.