Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 550B package

Got everything up and running and thought I would post some observations that might come in handy for another newb like me who might be in the market for a loader.

1. Call Brian if you are even thinking of ordering a Dillon. It just plain don't make sense to do it any other way. He was honest about what I needed and what I could do without. He answered every question I threw at him while making me seem like his only customer that day.

2. Buy the best package you can afford. For the average shooter out there anything with the Dillon name on it will be all you will ever need.

3. Go digital. I know there are diehards out there that don't like or trust them but they are worth every penny if used properly. This includes scale and calipers.

4. Stand while you load if you are physically capable. I read so many posts that said to stand and thought they were nuts. About 15 minutes later I got rid of the bar stool. It just works so much better.

5. The Dillon CV750 is plenty big for me but I wish I would have at least got the bigger separator. The small one is a little tight to poor the whole load in to.

6. Buy plenty of primer tubes. I already see where you can never have enough.

7. The Dillon case guage is great. I compared it to my barrel and made sure of what would fit then put the gun back together and forgot about it. No need to have a torn apart gun laying around.

8. Use case lube. Most on here recommend it and I know why. I ran a test and it is crazy how much of a difference lube makes. I just used ACE silicone spray but will eventually get one shot.

9. Use walnut shells and then corn with polish if you want new looking brass. All I can say is it works best for me. And believe me I tried every combination until I found what worked.

10. I don't have one, but get a chrono. It is like shooting in the dark without one. I loaded 100 rounds and technically (though I am sure they will)have no idea how they will work for me let alone if they will make PF.

11. Visit this forum every day and read, read, read.

12. Solid bench with a ton of lights, a radio and some mountain dew should just about round it out.

Thanks to all who contributed to my selections even though you may not know you did.

Oh. These are just my humble opinions.

ACE silicone spray ? Can you tell me more I got a Ace next door to the range,

Just a cheap can of ACE brand pure silicone. I read on here that pure silicone should work fine so I tried it. Just a small bit sprayed on and shaken around in a tub. It is at least twice as smooth in the loader probably more. Poor mans one shot I guess.

You are right on with your #1 statement. Brian is an honorable person. His knowledge and expertise will save you from purchasing improper and excessive equipment. He answers email queries promptly--even those asked more than a year after the sale! His advice is given in your best interest!

While researching presses, I had heard he was a good man to contact regarding purchasing a Dillon press--I'm fortunate I had his help. My intent was to load for obsolete and modern calibers, and I was having difficulty determining which press would best serve me. After he answered my questions and asked me several too, the 550B was chosen. Then came the muddle of 12+ calibers--powder funnels, shell plates, pins, accessories. I had never seen a Dillon press, so I was unfamiliar with the parts. Didn't know which were needed for each set of dies, nor which could be shared among the calibers. Brian performed his magic. When my press arrived, I had everything I needed to load every caliber.

So, I agree. If someone is in the market for a progressive press, contact Brian Enos. He is a wonderful person.

• 4 weeks later...

Started out with a Square Deal bought direct from Dillon and have used in about three months .... realized I wanted to do more calibers (including something for my AR-15) so I did a lot more research (now that I was a lot smarter about what I wanted) ... a lot of it right here on this site ... and a lot of reading-- mostly on this site .... and just placed an order for a new 550B via Brian .... looking forward to get to work with a new press .... thank you very much Brian for what you are providing here ......

8. Use case lube. Most on here recommend it and I know why. I ran a test and it is crazy how much of a difference lube makes. I just used ACE silicone spray but will eventually get one shot.

I am more comfortable using a lube that is formulated for reloading. Never know what the effect of the Ace stuff will be on powder and primers. I can't get One-Shot locally so I buy it in cases (6 cans) from Midway.

12. Solid bench with a ton of lights, a radio and some mountain dew should just about round it out.

Reloading and food just don't mix well if they are happening in the same place.

Overall, though, a very good assessment. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

:surprise: :surprise: I personally have enough of an attention span to be able to take a drink of pop every now and then while reloading. Given time I am sure someone will say music and reloading don't mix either.

:surprise: :surprise: I personally have enough of an attention span to be able to take a drink of pop every now and then while reloading. Given time I am sure someone will say music and reloading don't mix either.

Has nothing to do with attention span. Cross contamination between food and lead can be bad. Lead contamination from Primer dust is almost impossible to eliminate from your work area, hands, etc. Just a heads up......Been there and have learned that lesson the hard way.

Has nothing to do with attention span. Cross contamination between food and lead can be bad. Lead contamination from Primer dust is almost impossible to eliminate from your work area, hands, etc. Just a heads up......Been there and have learned that lesson the hard way.

So you are saying I should stop eating chips while reloading? Just kidding man. I feel ok drinking a pop though.

Hey I wonder if the grease from potato chips would be a good case lube? just roll the brass between my fingers before loading.

I hear you on the lead problem. I am pretty cautious about it. Thanks

1. Call Brian if you are even thinking of ordering a Dillon. It just plain don't make sense to do it any other way. He was honest about what I needed and what I could do without. He answered every question I threw at him while making me seem like his only customer that day.

Thanks a lot Kevin, I really appreciate that.

And thanks for taking the time to add all your feedback. That kind of stuff really guys who are coming into where you just were.

be

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely agree w/Kevin. Brian, between his business and his forum, is truly invaluable. I have learned a LOT reading here - definitely more than all the other forums combined!

I tried several lubes until I found Hornady One Shot. I was done after that!!!

My .02...

• 4 months later...

A few more updates and observations.

Just loaded a few hundred tonight for an even 2600 9mm loaded so far. No problems whatsoever once I got all my noob questions answered.

I can count on one hand the rounds that were bad. Three of those were "off" brands that were too thin in the case wall to hold a bullet tight. One had a loose primer pocket and lost the primer.

So far no squibs! :cheers:

I will go on record as saying the primer assy needs alot of attention to keep it flawless but I have learned to catch it when it fouls up.

I got much bigger Akro bins from Dillon to keep the process moving along smoother.

The one thing I will put out there for anyone looking into getting dillon accessories. Even if you get the small tumbler get the big separator. The little one is just too dang little. I am amazed that Brian did not point that out to me when I ordered. :P I will be ordering the large one eventually.

But as I have said before Brian was great to deal with and the equipment for the most part is as good as it gets.

Edited by sandman

I got much bigger Akro bins from Dillon to keep the process moving along smoother.

Ace hardware has several sizes of the Akro bins, just not in Dillon blue.

Check with the manager. My ace could order blue ones. They cost a little more than dillon but were the exact same thing. Also look in Graingers book. They have them up to almost 2 feet square. And they have blue as well.

Got everything up and running and thought I would post some observations that might come in handy for another newb like me who might be in the market for a loader.

11. Visit this forum every day and read, read, read.

Oh. These are just my humble opinions.

+1 to that.

A lot of good info and good people here.

:cheers: