Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet for 40 minor

Nemo

Out of my G35 I used to shoot 180 grain masterblasters with 3.2 gr Ramshot Competition, 1.135 COL. PF was about 144.

I'm thinking about trying some of my 140 grain Bear Creek bullets later this year with an amount of Competition to be determined. I think 4.0 may get me close to 130 PF.

I am currently trying to shoot Glock 35 (or 22) minor, 1.135 OAL, 3.5 TG, Zero JHP 180, but the bullet would suddenly nosedive or get stacked oddly in the magazine. I am currently using 10-rd mags, does it make a difference? I used both Precision 185gr Lead and Montana Gold 180 FMJ same OAL and minor load powder with no problems, just wanted to try something new. Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you running a "stock" Glock barrell?

I use the same bullet in my 35 with either 231, Titegroup, or Clays with the stock barrell without ever having a problem. Except, when I switch to minor loads, I use a 13# recoil spring, instead of the stock 15#or 17# spring.

I'm using:

2.9 gr TG

165 gr Delta FMJ

Federal Primer

can't recall what OAL I'm using but it's what ever I found in the Sierra manual

Last year at the IDPA New England Regionals in August on a sunny day I shot 128 pf. My chrono tells me I'm good for no less then 126.5. I realize I'm teatering on the edge of not making pf but so far I've had good results. I hear that Clays is good for a softer feel but I'm scared to death to change the recipe.

I also backed down to a 15 lb recoil spring.

I'm shooting a 4.25" M&P

I'm starting to shoot .40 minor in Production using a Glock 35 with 180gr CMJ MG bullets. Well, the bullet box is getting a bit empty and it's time to reorder. Frankly, I cannot see any reason to switch to a different weight bullet even knowing that by the end of the year I'll be shooting .40 major in Limited. But...

Given the choice of MG 165, 180, or 200 CMJ or 165, 180 JHP. Is anything particularly better than the 180's I'm using now and, other than personal choice, is there a specific reason.

P.S. I'm using using up some Clays for minor now and have N320 for major.

P.P.S. I think I already know the answer (no reason to change) but it never hurts to ask.

Edited by Graham Smith

I'm starting to shoot .40 minor in Production using a Glock 35 with 180gr CMJ MG bullets. Well, the bullet box is getting a bit empty and it's time to reorder. Frankly, I cannot see any reason to switch to a different weight bullet even knowing that by the end of the year I'll be shooting .40 major in Limited. But...

Given the choice of MG 165, 180, or 200 CMJ or 165, 180 JHP. Is anything particularly better than the 180's I'm using now and, other than personal choice, is there a specific reason.

P.P.S. I think I already know the answer (no reason to change) but it never hurts to ask.

I run Zero or MG 180gr heads at both Major and Minor power factors. They work well and you can use the same bullet for both.

Here's my logic: A lighter bullet must travel faster to make power facter. A fast bullet has a flatter trajectory then a slow bullet. So a lighter bullet with more powder behind it will be better for taking the longer shots on the range without having to hold over the targets.... I'm sure others have thier own philosophy of what works.

For minor OR major I run:

It's not the brand I'm looking at here. The question is, give the choice of weight and profile, is there a better overall choice than 180 CMJ?

Overall? Short answer, maybe. :)

180 CMJ and in particular the JHP at .400 run exceptionally well in a wide range of guns. Not hard to find (sometimes) in bulk quantities.

But I can't be picky these days. With just a few tweaks in OAL and some timing drills I'll make do with just about anything. With my

"technique" ammo is the least of my concerns.

Jim

I really like to just drop a 135 gr head on my major PF setup (4.7 gr Titegroup @ 1.190" oal). It should push those ~1000 fps. I do have to change recoil springs when I do this, however (12.5 lb for major, 9-10 lb for this in a 5" SV full dc gun).

ETA - I learned this load from BE (gotta give credit).

Edited by BigDave

I run a 155 gr. JHP MGB with 4 gr. N320 and a 7 pound recoil spring in my SVI sight tracker for minor... Recoil feels really light and and the gun cycles 100% of the time somehow with the 7 pound spring :) Makes about a 140 power factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting a 155 gr lead from Bootheel Bullets over 3.5 gr of Titegroup, makes about 130 out of my XDM and shoots very soft. I'm going to go down to a 16lb spring, but the gun functions fine now. Want to get my brass out of the way a little better. I've also shot Precision 170's. Bootheel's bullets are very hard and reasonable. bootheelbullets.com

I'm loading some 180gr GAT's with 3.6gr's of WSF in my XD Tactical for steel and I'm getting around 130PF. I plan on shooting this in my STI Trojan to make sure it run's well in this gun.

Edited by KWD