Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clearing Dillon Case Feed Tube

F/V Icy Swan

I use an XL 650 with a case feeder. I like it and it works well with varius calibers [.32, .38, .357, .40, and .45]. Despite my best efforts, I still get the occasional wrong caliber in the mix. For instance, a 40 will sit inside a 45 case. Then it will not drop into station one because it is too long. The problem is that the case feed tube is full and the last case is holding open the micro-switch, which is above where you can remove the case feed tube. So I fiddle with either trying to force the column up from the bottom or to fish the last case out from the top, both of which are like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time.

How do others remove the feed tube in these situations? Thanks. Mike

I use a 1050 so it might be a little different but I cut the tube a little short so it has some room to move up and then out at the bottom.

I turn the feeder off, lift up the tube to clear and it swings out . I cover the end so the brass stays in.

I know the lower end of the tube is a little different on the 650 but would that work ?

Yes that will work, I cut about 1/4" off the tube the fit it in the "bushing" and clips just for such surprises.

i cut some of the tube off, too. see the picture. but i have started hand sorting after cleaning to avoid the problem in the first place.

post-1268-1231876923_thumb.jpg

I shortened the tube a little, AND I drilled a hole through it (both sides) about an inch up from the bottom.

If I have an issue, I grab an allen wrench and stick it through the holes in the tube. That "pins" all the cases in the tube except the bottom one, so I can lift the whole tube up and out to clear the issue without dumping cases all over the place.

B

Awesome tips. I have tried the hemostat approach, but the bore brush trick is brilliant. I also like the solution of nipping the tube, but will try the bore brush trick first. I do try to hand sort, but I inevitably miss some. Thanks. Mike

I replaced the feed tubes on my 650s. They are older models. I found out they had lowered the casefeeder height, the

tubes were too short. Rather than lower the casefeeder stand I decided to cut the old case feed tube off to the length that

the new tube was short. Then took a piece of heater hose with the right inside diameter to slide over the tube to join them

together. Now when I have a jam or wrong case, I just slide the heater hose down and remove the top section of tube to

clear it.

Hope I described that well. Just something that worked for me.