Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PMC ammo - burnt my comp

Shay1911

Just a warning from personal experience. I have around 600 rounds of PMC ammo through my AR. It burnt the ____ out of the first chamber of my comp. It is pitted with lots of erosion. I'd rather not say which comp it is, but it is a top quality one.

I hope this helps someone.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have run hundreds (500+) of PMC Bronze through my comp'ed rifle. While the comp has been blackened inside, it is no worse than the other ammo I have run (mostly Remington UMC and Fed XM193).

Have you run any other ammo through it? Contacted the comp vendor?

I wonder if PMC changed their powder formula. If you have a borescope, look at the chamber. If the comp is eroding, the throat might be bad.

Lee

I have run hundreds (500+) of PMC Bronze through my comp'ed rifle. While the comp has been blackened inside, it is no worse than the other ammo I have run (mostly Remington UMC and Fed XM193).

Have you run any other ammo through it? Contacted the comp vendor?

I wonder if PMC changed their powder formula. If you have a borescope, look at the chamber. If the comp is eroding, the throat might be bad.

Lee

Yea, I contacted the comp vendor, very reputable, and they said it was the ammo. No, I have not run anything else through the rifle.

The bore and the chamber actually look fine with the naked eye, I have no tried a borescope but will.

This is not just blackening, it is erosion of the metal, enough to create a dent and pitting in it. Comp is stainless steel.

I am sure the comp still functions fine, but I am not going to shoot that ammo any more.

Yeah, this I gotta' see, please post pics. 500 rounds of anything etching a stainless brake is pretty strange. There will always be some erosion after a thou or so rounds, but heavy pitting after 500 rounds, hmmm!

This is in no way a complaint against the manufacturer of the comp. I do think its the ammo.

Is this normal? Should I be expecting this? I am sure about the round count.

post-12268-1231868322_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shay1911

Hard to say from the photo angle and the shallow shadows, but it looks to me like copper/powder buildup rather than erosion. Have you tried using a copper/powder solvent and a nylon brush to see if it cleans up. You need to see the bare metal itself to see what's really happening here.

Hard to say from the photo angle and the shallow shadows, but it looks to me like copper/powder buildup rather than erosion. Have you tried using a copper/powder solvent and a nylon brush to see if it cleans up. You need to see the bare metal itself to see what's really happening here.

It looks like build up, not erosion to me too.

I have that particular brand of comp, as well as the first generation one, and have expierenced no similar issues after several thousand rounds.

I am no saying its the comp at all!

What kind of ammo are you using?

I have the comp with solvent right now, after brushing it, the metal so far, is shiny silver.

Copper residue and powder buildup are a normal event. If the comp cleans up with solvent leaving clean or slightly burnished metal behind, then you are good to go. No worries here from what I can see :-)

Cooked on carbon looks very "shinny" also! I am betting that it is deposites. Solvents wont really clean them up as it is basically "Coked Carbon" or "Boiler Klinker". a gentle scrap maybe in order, I would also bet that you are running a short barrel. KurtM

Try using a dental pick to take some of that off (gently). You'll probably find that it is build-up and not corrosion.

As said earlier... it's cooked on (or coked). Soaking and a nylon brush probably won't take it off.

You MIGHT try a copper brush after soaking, but I don't think that'll work either.

Worst case... play a carmoney and dremel it out with a really fine tube sander.

Frank

From the pictures I see, that doesn't look like build up to me. It looks like erosion. Carbon or copper buildup only sticks to low pressure areas of the port. The area around the clearance hole is a very high pressure area, thus the erosion wear over time. Now why the erosion so quickly? Could be ammo, could be comp material.